Dutchy
Topic Author

F-14 Tomcat - design evolution

Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm

A very nice overview of the design evolution of the F-14 Tomcat by presented by former Northrop Grumman VP Mike Ciminera. I found it quite interesting and I know many of you have a special place in your heart of this aircraft, so I thought I share it.

Video link

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LMP737

Re: F-14 Tomcat - design evolution

Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A very nice overview of the design evolution of the F-14 Tomcat by presented by former Northrop Grumman VP Mike Ciminera. I found it quite interesting and I know many of you have a special place in your heart of this aircraft, so I thought I share it.

Video link

Spent my four years in the Navy working on them. With now more than twenty years in aviation I can appreciate the engineering that went into it a lot more than when I was nineteen.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Ozair

Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Video link

I'd also suggest listening to the Fighter Pilot Podcast episode on the F-14 here, https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/epi ... 14-tomcat/

The podcast is fantastic and goes into a lot of detail as well as having excellent and knowledgeable subject matter experts discuss aircraft and systems.

ORDfan101

Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks!

cjg225

Wed May 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Many years ago, a thread on here clued me in to two great books on the F-14, my favorite plane of all time. Figure this is a good time to share them:

Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Bye - Bye, Baby...! - This might be out of print because the prices are astronomical now compared to what I paid several years ago, but... I'd venture it might even still be worth it. Tons of great photos. This is a very large book, too. Not a typical book size. I think it's like if you oriented a magazine side-to-side instead of top-to-bottom. Like 8.5"x11" sized pages. The "book" is much more about photos and anecdotes than a detailed story, though, as a warning.

Then the much more-reasonably-priced:

Tomcat!: The Grumman F-14 Story - This one is also a very large book and contains much more of a story than the other book, which is kind of more of a huge book of photos and anecdotes.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

kc135topboom

Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 pm

I was never a fan of the F-14 until the "D" model came out with new engines.

LMP737

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:19 am

kc135topboom wrote:
I was never a fan of the F-14 until the "D" model came out with new engines.

The B model had the GE F110's as well. When I was in it was called the A+, then someone decided to change it to the B. Why they didn't do that to begin with I have no idea.

Here's a good video of what happened when F-15 crews out of Langley went up against the A+/B for the first time expecting the TF-30 powered A models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFIgt_fWl5Q
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Moose135

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:15 am

cjg225 wrote:
Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Bye - Bye, Baby...! - This might be out of print because the prices are astronomical now compared to what I paid several years ago, but... I'd venture it might even still be worth it. Tons of great photos. This is a very large book, too. Not a typical book size. I think it's like if you oriented a magazine side-to-side instead of top-to-bottom. Like 8.5"x11" sized pages. The "book" is much more about photos and anecdotes than a detailed story, though, as a warning.

I bought this one when it was first published. Growing up on Long Island, I was always a Grumman and F-14 fan. This book has some amazing photography, well worth it!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Planeflyer

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:54 am

Still remember seeing them flying over Robert Moses state beach one or two summers in the early 70’s.

Maybe these sightings sparked my interest. Never thought of this until just now.

Thanks for starting the thread.