flapsdown40
Topic Author

Have all Navy F18's left Atsugi for Iwakuni by now?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I tried do a search using various combinations of "Atsugi," "Iwakuni" and "F18" but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, just wondering if *all* of the Navy's F18's have moved to Iwakuni MCAS from Atsugi NAS (or maybe it's NAF)?

I've read that the Japanese citizens living around Atsugi have complained of jet fighter noise for close to 45 years or so, ever since the USS Midway became the first forward-deployed Navy carrier based at Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan in 1973, with Carrier Air Wing 5 as the aircraft component for the Midway, now the USS Ronald Regan.

Assuming all of the F18's have left Atsugi, I can only assume the silence (from no more afterburner takeoffs) must be deafening.

Which brings up a related question: How are the Japanese citizens around Iwakuni taking all of the jet noise that once affected Atsugi? Any large-scale protests outside the gates to Iwakuni, or to the local gov't there?

Are there any Navy fixed wing assets based at Atsugi any longer? If so, what type?

TIA for any answers.
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

dragon6172

Re: Have all Navy F18's left Atsugi for Iwakuni by now?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 pm

According to CAW-5 webpage all their fixed wing assets have moved to Iwakuni. All that is left at Atsugi is three H-60 squadrons. JSDF has some fixed wing assets there, but nothing using afterburners.

Iwakuni should be fairly use to jet noise. Marine Hornet and Harrier squadrons have been based there for quite some time. All the approaches and departures in and out of Iwakuni can be made over Hiroshima Bay. Easier to keep those loud jets from overflying civilization
Phrogs Phorever