Ozair

Re: New FCAS Unveiled by Dassault for France, Germany & Spain

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 pm

So the negotiation and campaign from Dassault on the FCAS really begins. They are obviously keen for this to be carrier capable from the start but as I have suggested in the past I doubt the Germans will be as enthused. Carrier capability will add weight and complexity to the basic airframe and possibly turn off some export buyers.

European FCAS fighter to be optimised for carrier ops

The manned New Generation Fighter (NGF) component of the Future Combat Air System/Système de Combat Aérien Futur (FCAS/SCAF) being jointly developed by Dassault Aviation and Airbus will be optimised for carrier operations from the outset, a source close to the programme has confirmed to Jane's .

The NGF will follow a similar development path to that of the three variants of the Dassault Rafale fighter, the source added.

Engineers will take into account the lessons learnt from the Dassault Étendard, Super Étendard, and Rafale programmes for corrosion resistance and catapult shots/deck landings compatibility. During carrier landings, large loads are inflicted upon the airframe when impacting the flight deck. The paths through which these shocks and impact loads are absorbed will have to be carefully engineered, the source said.

https://www.janes.com/article/90221/eur ... arrier-ops

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I wonder if with modern design, analysis, and construction methods if you could design two related airframes. Two that are largely similar but differ on the strength and weight of certain components.

Especially if the majority of the value is going to be in things like stealth and avionics. Which will largely be the same between versions.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am

Spar wrote:
Alfons wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Alfons, no such code exists. I am very familiar with the classic Hornet and this has never been mentioned by any operator. Nor is there a code for the F-15,16 etc.

As you wish, no problem. :-)

What does "As you wish" mean?

Are you backing off from "I know from first-hand"?

Watch The Princess Bride.

Ozair

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
I wonder if with modern design, analysis, and construction methods if you could design two related airframes. Two that are largely similar but differ on the strength and weight of certain components.

Especially if the majority of the value is going to be in things like stealth and avionics. Which will largely be the same between versions.

It is certainly possible to do that and while the two airframes could share engines and avionics and stealth etc you would likely still require two different programs to test the airframes given the physical differences.

If you consider Rafale it has a slight weight difference between the C and M versions while the F-35 has a significantly greater difference between the A and C versions. The F-35A has clearly been optimised for the CTOL role while the F-35C has been for the CV role. Given the F-35C will probably have a larger production run than all Rafale variants combined you can see why the JSF program was able to justify the optimisation.

I can't see FCAS manufacturing more than 400 airframes combined including exports so I question whether a separate program for an optimised variant would be worth it. As you suggest new technology may make this easier/cheaper but I'm not yet convinced.

Ozair

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:05 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Spar wrote:
Alfons wrote:
As you wish, no problem. :-)

What does "As you wish" mean?

Are you backing off from "I know from first-hand"?

Watch The Princess Bride.

I am not left handed...

Aesma

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Germany has said that they would be in favor of building an EU aircraft carrier, so I don't see them opposing a carrier capability !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams