Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZaphodHarkonnen

Re: New FCAS Unveiled by Dassault for France, Germany & Spain

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I wonder if with modern design, analysis, and construction methods if you could design two related airframes. Two that are largely similar but differ on the strength and weight of certain components.

Especially if the majority of the value is going to be in things like stealth and avionics. Which will largely be the same between versions.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am

Spar wrote:
Alfons wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Alfons, no such code exists. I am very familiar with the classic Hornet and this has never been mentioned by any operator. Nor is there a code for the F-15,16 etc.

As you wish, no problem. :-)

What does "As you wish" mean?

Are you backing off from "I know from first-hand"?

Watch The Princess Bride.

Ozair

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
I wonder if with modern design, analysis, and construction methods if you could design two related airframes. Two that are largely similar but differ on the strength and weight of certain components.

Especially if the majority of the value is going to be in things like stealth and avionics. Which will largely be the same between versions.

It is certainly possible to do that and while the two airframes could share engines and avionics and stealth etc you would likely still require two different programs to test the airframes given the physical differences.

If you consider Rafale it has a slight weight difference between the C and M versions while the F-35 has a significantly greater difference between the A and C versions. The F-35A has clearly been optimised for the CTOL role while the F-35C has been for the CV role. Given the F-35C will probably have a larger production run than all Rafale variants combined you can see why the JSF program was able to justify the optimisation.

I can't see FCAS manufacturing more than 400 airframes combined including exports so I question whether a separate program for an optimised variant would be worth it. As you suggest new technology may make this easier/cheaper but I'm not yet convinced.

Ozair

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:05 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Spar wrote:
Alfons wrote:
As you wish, no problem. :-)

What does "As you wish" mean?

Are you backing off from "I know from first-hand"?

Watch The Princess Bride.

I am not left handed...

Aesma

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Germany has said that they would be in favor of building an EU aircraft carrier, so I don't see them opposing a carrier capability !

Ozair

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Some commentary from the CEO of the European Defency Agency on whether FCAS and Tempest are both sustainable going forward. Other comments include an expectation that there will be a consolidation of the European defence industry over the next 5-10 years.

Perhaps the solution is to have BAE buy Dassault… I wonder where we would be today if Airbus and BAE had merged or if Enders suggestion in 2018 of the fighter divisions of Airbus and BAE merging. I’m not sure now the respective Governments would let it happen.

3 questions with the EU defense chief on Europe’s future fighters

Underway in Europe are two high profile sixth-generation aircraft efforts: the Franco-German-Spanish Future Combat Air System, and Britain’s Tempest fighter. But will they converge? Defense News asked the chief executive of the European Defence Agency, Jorge Domecq, for his take on the future of these programs.

It’s quite possible the FCAS program by Spain, Germany and France and the British Tempest program will lead to a situation of two fighters. What’s your assessment?

We’ll have to see, but FCAS is not going to be just one platform. It’s going to be a system of systems. It will be a very complex program; it will take many years. It will be very important for it to be sustainable, that it has the economies of scale that are necessary. And at the same time, as we have these three initial member states signing up, I do not exclude this would bring on other member states as we go long.

What will happen with the Tempest project, I cannot say.

But as the person that oversees FCAS, you would like to see some convergence, right?

Europe would probably have to see convergence toward having a single system of systems, but as I underlined, it’s not an issue of platform. As always, thinking of the competitiveness of the European defense industry, we have to think of program sustainability. Is the next generation of combat aircraft sustainable with several systems of systems in Europe? I have my doubts.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -fighters/

Ozair

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Indra will lead Spain’s FCAS effort but the initial funding line is very small, just US$28 million to 2021.

Spain names Indra as national prime-contractor for FCAS

The Spanish government has appointed Indra to lead its efforts on the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) programme with Germany and France.

The decision, which was announced on 6 September, will see Indra co-ordinate the industrial participation of Spain on the project to develop a next-generation air combat system, alongside Airbus in Germany and Dassault in France.

"Indra, in close collaboration with the Ministry of Defense and within the framework of the industrial development plan associated with the programme, will strive to ensure that Spanish industry participates as actively as possible in the latter and facilitate its access to opportunities for knowledge generation, business development, export capacity, the creation of technologies that can also be used in the civil field and high-value employment generation. The FCAS will generate high levels of knowledge and added value for Spanish companies and provide them with opportunities to develop exportable products beyond the programme," the company said.

The announcement that Indra will lead Spain's FCAS effort comes about three months after the country officially joined the project to develop a new fighter combat aircraft as part of a wider system-of-systems. The signing ceremony at the Paris Air Show in June came about four months after a letter of intent (LOI) for Spain's inclusion in the project to develop a New Generation Fighter (NGF) to operate as part of the wider the FCAS (known as Système de Combat Aérien Futur [SCAF] in France) system-of-systems. As previously reported by Jane's , Spain's initial contribution to the project will amount to about EUR25 million (USD28 million) out to 2021.

Jane's first reported in November 2018 that Spain was considering options for the future replacement of its Boeing F/A-18 Hornet fleet in the 2035-plus timeframe.

https://www.janes.com/article/90904/spa ... r-for-fcas

Ozair

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Airbus and Dassault are frustrated by the lack of urgency of their respective governments to push the project forward. It frankly isn’t a surprise, funding was always going to be a struggle and with Germany still on the brink of recession a delay to moving forward with this project, which really is a comparatively insignificant funding line, is to be expected. It doesn’t bode well for the future though, it is generally very hard to recover time on these projects unless Dassault and Airbus are willing to spend their own funds and move the project forward, and I expect this is the first of many discussions on funding and time/schedule issues between the industrial partners and Governments.

Arms firms fret over delays in Franco-German fighter project

France’s Dassault Aviation and Europe’s Airbus have stepped up pressure on France and Germany to agree the next stage of a planned fighter project, warning Europe’s arms industry and long-term security could suffer from delays.

The two companies are the leading industrial partners in a project to build a futuristic swarm of manned and unmanned warplanes, announced by the leaders of France and Germany two years ago and expanded earlier this year to include Spain.

Dassault and Airbus won a 65-million-euro contract in January to develop the concept for the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) but await a new contract to build demonstrators for interlinked fighters, drones and an “air combat cloud” by 2026.

Dassault Aviation Chief Executive Eric Trappier told a conference of policymakers last month that the demonstrator contract should have been launched in September but this was now slipping toward end-year. He called it “indispensable” to avoid any further delays in order to maintain the 2026 deadline.

No reason has been given for the delays.

On Monday evening, Dassault and Airbus amplified those warnings with a joint statement.

“If Europe does not move forward — and move forward quickly — on this program, it will be impossible to maintain the development and production capabilities needed for a sovereign defense industry,” the companies said.

The warplane system is expected to be operational from 2040, with a view to replacing Dassault’s Rafale and the four-nation Eurofighter, in which Airbus represents both Germany and Spain.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-euro ... SKBN1WM22B

Revelation

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Ozair wrote:
Airbus and Dassault are frustrated by the lack of urgency of their respective governments to push the project forward. It frankly isn’t a surprise, funding was always going to be a struggle and with Germany still on the brink of recession a delay to moving forward with this project, which really is a comparatively insignificant funding line, is to be expected. It doesn’t bode well for the future though, it is generally very hard to recover time on these projects unless Dassault and Airbus are willing to spend their own funds and move the project forward, and I expect this is the first of many discussions on funding and time/schedule issues between the industrial partners and Governments.

FlightGlobal just posted a similar article as the one you posted from Reuters with some of the same quotes.

I agree with your pessimistic outlook.

The governments are lukewarm while a project of this magnitude requires the exact opposite, a sense of urgency and a willingness to sacrifice other priorities to make this happen.

I think the fears being voiced by Airbus and Dassault are quite real.

It seems their government is only willing to pony up enough funds to say they're "doing something" but not enough to get anything done.

Ozair

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 pm

The Airbus head for FCAS has reported they are progressing on the Joint Concept Study and are keen to start the demonstrator phase in Jan 2020.

FCAS partners report good concept-study progress, expect demonstrator phase to begin shortly

France, Germany, and Spain are progressing well with the Joint Concept Study (JCS) for the Future Combat Air System (FCAS)/Système de Combat Aérien Futur (SCAF) programme, and are on track to launch the demonstrator phase in the coming weeks.

Speaking on the opening day of the Airbus Defence and Space (DS) Trade Media Briefing 2019 at the company's Donauworth facility near Munich, Bruno Fichefeux, the head of the FCAS programme for Airbus DS, said that the three partners are "well on the way" with the JCS that was began in January 2019, and that the demonstrator phase is on course to begin in early 2020.

"We are now well on the way with the Joint Concept Study in what is a new chapter for European air defence. Industry submitted its offers for the first phase of the Demonstrator Phase at the Paris Air Show [in June], and this will begin in January 2020," Fichefeux said, adding that the first phase of the demonstrator phase will cover the "first pillar" New Generation Fighter (NGF) aircraft, Remote Carrier (RC) unmanned wingmen and the networked Air Combat Cloud (ACC).

Fichefeux's comments were provided as part of a wider update on the FCAS programme that Airbus DS, Dassault, and lately Indra are developing on behalf of the German, French, and Spanish governments respectively.

"FCAS is all about answering the future threat environment," Fichefeux said on 4 November, adding, "The air-defence environment will be much higher in the future than it is today, and one 'super fighter' alone cannot answer that future threat."

As noted by Fichefeux, rather than focusing on developing a 'super fighter', the answer instead is to develop a system of systems with the NGF aircraft and supporting RC unmanned loyal-wingmen at its core.

https://www.janes.com/article/92338/fca ... in-shortly

Ozair

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 pm

It appears that for now the export issue of FCAS, and the new tank being co-developed, has been sorted and Germany will not have the opportunity to oppose the export of either system although I’m not sure how that will politically stand up when a decision actually has to be made.

Can a new Franco-German export agreement clear the air for Europe’s future fighter?

French and German officials celebrated the signing of a new defense export agreement last month as a watershed moment, but political and industrial mistrust remains a wild card for the Future Combat Air System program — an envisioned sixth-generation fighter jet.

The export pact, which entered into force in late October with the formal exchange of government notes, is meant to streamline a contentious process that has clouded bilateral defense cooperation for some time. Namely, the agreement dictates that joint government programs, like FCAS fighter jet, be free from interference by partner nations when it comes to eventual exports.

The clause is mainly aimed at Germany, where politicians and lawmakers tend to scrutinize weapons deliveries to countries with known or suspected human rights abuses more heavily than their French colleagues.

Once the money begins to flow for an additional set of contracts early next year, there is a litany of questions yet to be sorted out. The fate of intellectual property rights, for example, remains unsorted, according to the analyst. In addition, as of late October, there was no agreement on Spain’s industrial work share. Spain is something of a junior partner in the FCAS project, though officials in Madrid have said they expect equal treatment as a full member of the trinational project team.

The Spanish government in the summer designated defense electronics company Indra as the national lead for the fighter program. The move angered Airbus, where officials were hoping to give their Spanish subsidiary a role that would satisfy Madrid’s demands for industrial participation.

Another potential point of contention has to do with military requirements for the future fighter. Perhaps the most prominent issue is that French officials want a carrier-capable jet, which Germany does not need.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/11 ... e-fighter/

Interesting as well that Spanish workshare still isn’t sorted, nor their overall presence on the program given they want full partner status while Germany/France view then as a junior partner. Also some confirmation that Germany isn’t keen on a design that includes a carrier capable aircraft. Clearly that is going to take additional development and testing funding and I can see why Germany isn’t interested in funding that, especially as there is essentially no export market for that type of airframe.

art

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:03 pm

Ozair wrote:
Once the money begins to flow for an additional set of contracts early next year, there is a litany of questions yet to be sorted out. The fate of intellectual property rights, for example, remains unsorted, according to the analyst. In addition, as of late October, there was no agreement on Spain’s industrial work share. Spain is something of a junior partner in the FCAS project, though officials in Madrid have said they expect equal treatment as a full member of the trinational project team.

The Spanish government in the summer designated defense electronics company Indra as the national lead for the fighter program. The move angered Airbus, where officials were hoping to give their Spanish subsidiary a role that would satisfy Madrid’s demands for industrial participation.

Another potential point of contention has to do with military requirements for the future fighter. Perhaps the most prominent issue is that French officials want a carrier-capable jet, which Germany does not need.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/11 ... e-fighter/

Interesting as well that Spanish workshare still isn’t sorted, nor their overall presence on the program given they want full partner status while Germany/France view then as a junior partner. Also some confirmation that Germany isn’t keen on a design that includes a carrier capable aircraft. Clearly that is going to take additional development and testing funding and I can see why Germany isn’t interested in funding that, especially as there is essentially no export market for that type of airframe.

Any absolute impediment to estimating the extra cost of developing a carrier version and handing France the bill, Dassault doing all the work? If there were any sales of a carrier version to any other country, France could recover some of the development cost. India night be in the market for aircraft for 2 or 3 carriers 20 years or so from now.

Regarding Spain, why should Spain not be a junior partner? I suppose Spain has leverage, though, in that t if France and Germany offer Spain too little the Tempest partners might welcome the additional funding Spain could bring to the project.

mxaxai

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:31 pm

A recent study on people's opinions revealed that a majority of 52% of Germans are in favor of twice the defence spending, if it means greater independence from US politics.
Unrelated to defence, 60 % of Germans consider France the most (or second-most) important partner country, ahead of the USA (42%), China (15%), Russia (12%) and the UK (7%).

This might give FCAS a boost. Politicians may be less hesitant to increase funding if it is inline with public opinion.

https://www.koerber-stiftung.de/pressem ... gkeit-1926

Ozair

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:14 pm

art wrote:

Any absolute impediment to estimating the extra cost of developing a carrier version and handing France the bill, Dassault doing all the work? If there were any sales of a carrier version to any other country, France could recover some of the development cost. India night be in the market for aircraft for 2 or 3 carriers 20 years or so from now.

The problem with that is how the design impacts the overall program. Dassault won’t want to pay for a whole new airframe for the maritime role and if we went by Keeje’s rantings on FCAS then it has to be a big twin engine long range airframe with two seats. Those are characteristics generally not suited to carrier aviation, especially when putting French short length carriers into consideration.

art wrote:
Regarding Spain, why should Spain not be a junior partner? I suppose Spain has leverage, though, in that t if France and Germany offer Spain too little the Tempest partners might welcome the additional funding Spain could bring to the project.

Spain wants workshare for domestic employment as well as highly skilled jobs. I doubt Spain brings a significant amount of funding to the deal but Spain clearly see their position as an equal partner. Why shouldn’t they be a level partner? France has already shopped around FCAS participation with other nations as the carrot to acquire Rafale so clearly having partners isn’t an issue.

mxaxai wrote:
A recent study on people's opinions revealed that a majority of 52% of Germans are in favor of twice the defence spending, if it means greater independence from US politics.
Unrelated to defence, 60 % of Germans consider France the most (or second-most) important partner country, ahead of the USA (42%), China (15%), Russia (12%) and the UK (7%).

This might give FCAS a boost. Politicians may be less hesitant to increase funding if it is inline with public opinion.

https://www.koerber-stiftung.de/pressem ... gkeit-1926

I don’t put a lot of stock in those kinds of surveys. If you had conducted the same survey in 2009 then the result would have been very different because Obama was President, a figure generally liked by Germans even with his waning popularity in his second term. Come the end of 2020 and a Democrat potentially wins the Presidency then the pendulum will likely swing around again. That is why looking at this from a standpoint of US politics is pointless. The relationship between the two countries has ebbed and flowed across the last 60 years but the underlying security and military relationship has stayed, and will remain, very secure.

mxaxai

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Ozair wrote:
I don’t put a lot of stock in those kinds of surveys. If you had conducted the same survey in 2009 then the result would have been very different because Obama was President, a figure generally liked by Germans even with his waning popularity in his second term. Come the end of 2020 and a Democrat potentially wins the Presidency then the pendulum will likely swing around again. That is why looking at this from a standpoint of US politics is pointless. The relationship between the two countries has ebbed and flowed across the last 60 years but the underlying security and military relationship has stayed, and will remain, very secure.

It is a respectable survey, not your typical The-Onion-style survey. I agree that the opinion heavily depends on who happens to be president. But right now, there is strong opposition against further alignment with the US. That may change as soon as next year, but the one thing politicians care most about is getting reelected at the next election. So as long as this anti-american resentment continues (and I consider Trumps reelection quite likely), only a fool of a politician would publicly advertise in favor of US aircraft.

I think an F-35 acquisition during Obama's presidency would have been received relatively amicable.

Ozair

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:26 pm

mxaxai wrote:
It is a respectable survey, not your typical The-Onion-style survey. I agree that the opinion heavily depends on who happens to be president. But right now, there is strong opposition against further alignment with the US. That may change as soon as next year, but the one thing politicians care most about is getting reelected at the next election. So as long as this anti-american resentment continues (and I consider Trumps reelection quite likely), only a fool of a politician would publicly advertise in favor of US aircraft.

Sorry, I should be clear, I don’t doubt the credibility of the survey, just the timeliness of it or its impact on the decision. Industrial lobbying from Airbus and Dassualt will likely have far greater sway on any decision than what the German public want or think.

mxaxai wrote:
I think an F-35 acquisition during Obama's presidency would have been received relatively amicable.

Potentially but that would have been before FCAS was envisioned. The big issue preventing a German F-35 is FCAS and Airbus/Dassault resistance to it, not German public opinion. For example...

Hoke said if Germany decided to buy the F-35 to replace its Tornados, that would mean the FCAS would no longer be feasible.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germ ... SKBN1HW14U

“As soon as Germany becomes an F-35 member nation, cooperation on all combat aircraft issues with France will die,” Hoke said in an interview with Welt Am Sonntag which can be found here.
The local news site says that the Bundeswehr is looking for a successor model for the Tornado fighter-bomber. One candidate is the F-35 but “that does not suit the CEO of the Airbus armaments division”.
Airbus manager Hoke sees a historic opportunity in the competition with France on the fighter jet. “Europe needs to define its sovereignty more clearly, and to clearly state that we need to maintain independence in defence and space” he said.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/airbus- ... to-france/

Similar comments have been made by Trappier.

art

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:12 am

Ozair wrote:
art wrote:

Spain wants workshare for domestic employment as well as highly skilled jobs. I doubt Spain brings a significant amount of funding to the deal but Spain clearly see their position as an equal partner. Why shouldn’t they be a level partner? France has already shopped around FCAS participation with other nations as the carrot to acquire Rafale so clearly having partners isn’t an issue.

I don't see (perhaps my eyesight is bad) that Spain has a lot to add to the Franco-German project. Orders, yes, but in smaller numbers than the other 2. On the design and engineering fronts, can Spain plug a gap in the capabilities of the other 2 or simply duplicate what they already have? In terms of funding, I guess Spain would be the smallest contributor. In what way would Spain deserve to be seen as an equal partner?

I don't follow your Rafale comment. What other countries might be inclined to order Rafale in exchange for FCAS participation?

Ozair

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:36 am

art wrote:
I don't see (perhaps my eyesight is bad) that Spain has a lot to add to the Franco-German project. Orders, yes, but in smaller numbers than the other 2. On the design and engineering fronts, can Spain plug a gap in the capabilities of the other 2 or simply duplicate what they already have? In terms of funding, I guess Spain would be the smallest contributor. In what way would Spain deserve to be seen as an equal partner?

Spain sees themselves as equals
Madrid says that the country is joining the initiative on "equal terms with France and Germany" and that the project will give Spain "leadership visibility" within European security and defence policies.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... me-455828/

I agree though, what they actually offer the program isn’t great although Indra, Spain’s industrial lead for FCAS, is trying to claim EW leadership.

Spain’s Indra claims lead in EU electronic-warfare push for future aircraft

Spanish military-electronics specialist Indra has claimed the lead in a program meant to equip future European military aircraft with new electronic-warfare capabilities, according to a company announcement.
The project, named Airborne Electronic Attack, falls under the European Union’s latest batch of so-called PESCO initiatives, which are meant to foster collaboration among member nations in key military areas. Besides Spain as the lead nation, Indra said France and Sweden also are participating, as will Germany and Italy, though those countries were still absent from a roster published online by the European Defense Agency.

According to industry sources, the agency could hand out a contract to begin work on the project in the first quarter of 2020. The partner countries are expected to position their respective go-to suppliers to jockey for position, namely Thales, Saab, Hensoldt and Leonardo.

The EU’s airborne electronic-attack project could take on some of the supporting work for a manned fighter under the the Future Combat Air System program, a next-generation aerial weapon developed by France, Germany and Spain. That future aircraft will need sophisticated jamming capabilities, and the PESCO format could offer Indra an avenue into the major program’s work share at a time when the details of Spain’s participation have yet to be fully sorted out.

Indra is the Spanish national industry lead for FCAS, while Airbus and Dassault play those roles for Germany and France, respectively. Spain’s defense companies expect one-third of the business flowing from the program, an Indra spokesman told Defense News.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... -aircraft/

The last sentence in bold being most illustrative of where Spain sees their position.

art wrote:
I don't follow your Rafale comment. What other countries might be inclined to order Rafale in exchange for FCAS participation?

France’s play for the Belgium fighter contract included the inducement of work and participation on FCAS aside from the other threats Dassault made about loss of future industrial work in the country.

While Dassault did not openly respond to the call for tenders, it offered for Belgium to collaborate on the development of the F4 standard of its Rafale, and a participation in the Franco-German Future Combat Air System (FCAS) program.

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charp ... ean-offers

Ozair

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Safran and MTU have decided on the division of the engine development work for the FCAS. This is another nail in the coffin for the UK joining the program given there would be a strong push for any UK aircraft to have an RR engine or have RR be heavily involved in the engine development and build program.

Safran, MTU agree framework for future fighter engine

Safran and MTU have agreed details on the development of a next-generation aircraft engine to power the New Generation Fighter (NGF) for France, Germany and Spain.

The agreement, announced on 3 December, sees Safran Aircraft Engines of France and MTU Aero Engines of Germany settle the details of the engine development programme for the NGF component of the wider Future Combat Air System (FCAS)/ Système de Combat Aérien Futur (SCAF). This builds on the letter of intent (LOI) signed between the two companies in February 2019, which specified that Safran would take the lead in engine design and integration, with MTU leading engine services.

“In the framework of the contractual scheme defined by France and Germany, Safran Aircraft Engines will be the prime contractor and MTU Aero Engines the main partner for the first phase of Research and Technology (Phase 1A),” the companies said, adding that the two partners had also agreed on the foundation of a 50/50 joint venture that will be incorporated by the end of 2021 to manage the development, production, and the after-sales support activities of the new engine to power the NGF.

Known as both the Next European Fighter Engine (NEFE) and the New European Engine (NEE), the NGF powerplant is one of a number of core FCAS/SCAF elements to be covered in the first demonstration phase that is set to be launched in January 2020. The NEFE/NEE powerplant is included in the NGF itself, with the two other core elements comprising the Remote Carrier (RC) loyal wingmen and the Air Combat Cloud (ACC). This first phase should see an NGF demonstrator flying in concert with an RC (the combination of which is known as the Next-Generation Weapon System [NGWS]) while networked together in the ACC by the end of 2026.

https://www.janes.com/article/92964/saf ... ter-engine

mxaxai

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but there was a "national FCAS summit" in Berlin last September. (the program in German can be downloaded here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... HqTSAFFQV0)
It will be held again in October 2020.

There were talks about the following topics, which may give some insight into which technologies we may see:
  • cooperation of crewed and uncrewed aerial vehicles, and appropriate human-machine-interfaces
  • data links, sensor & effector fusion and swarming algorithms
  • design of uncrewed aerial combat vehicles
  • experience from F-35 operations (by LM)
  • mission planning with distributed resources & swarming tactics

Among the speakers were representatives from:
  • German government & military
  • various research institutions
  • Airbus
  • Lockheed Martin
  • Diehl Defence
  • Eurofighter
  • Thales

Ozair

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:45 am

FCAS moves forward slowly with the German MOD seeking funding permission from the German Government. Additional news is that the partnership with Spain still hasn’t been sorted despite political agreement being signed last year. The presence of Tempest is acknowledged as a risk and is being used to pressure European Governments to support the FCAS program.

Germany, France plot new steps for trinational fighter jet — but what about Spain?

The German Defence Ministry on Wednesday sent lawmakers new study plans for the Future Combat Air System, revealing that partner nation Spain has yet to be fully brought along to the next stage.

The government wants to begin five studies at a cost of $85 million, with the same amount coming from France. Officials late last year said Madrid was expected to contribute an equal share. The confidential report to Bundestag appropriators, first reported by the Handelsblatt newspaper, estimates that Spain will only join the next study stage in the third quarter of this year.

The delay is due to renegotiations on the implementing agreement for the project, sources familiar with the document told Defense News.

Airbus and Dassault are the lead contractors for Germany and France, respectively. The Spanish government designated Indra as their national prime contractor last summer, but a work-share agreement between the three companies and their subcontractor clusters has proven elusive.

Spain has lobbied to be treated as an equal partner in the project, both on a government and industry level. Agreements to that effect were signed between the three countries last year.

German officials previously planned to have the Bundestag’s approval for spending additional study funds late last year, with contracts to be signed in January.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... out-spain/

mxaxai

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm

A couple of events happened in the past week:

Germany allocated funds for the first 18 months of the prototype development, which allowed them to sign a contract with France. Although the 77 million € each is barely enough for in-depth feasability studies, first flight of the first prototype is still planned for 2026, although changes are likely (comparable to the X-35 --> F-35 development).
France and Germany announced late on Wednesday that they had awarded the initial framework contract (called Phase 1A) for the demonstrator phase of the Future Combat Air System (FCAS).

This initial contract, however, only runs for 18 months and only funds preparatory work, as the Bundestag’s budget committee, which met Feb. 12 in Berlin, refused to authorize funds for the entire demonstrator phase, which was originally planned to end in 2026 with the flight of the New-Generation Fighter (NGF) and its new engines.

It is also worth noting that, according to the Airbus press release about the contracts, Spain will only effectively join the program in 18 months, for Phase 1B, despite having signed to join with great pomp at the Paris Air Show in June. ...

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... ators.html

Spain spun this news slightly differently, focusing on their newly signed contract.
The Secretary of State for Defense, Ángel Olivares, has signed, with his French and German counterparts, Joël Barre and Benedikt Zimmer, a new implementation agreement for the full integration of Spain and its industry in the development of the Joint Concept Study of the Future Air Combat System (NGWS / FCAS).

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... study.html

France took yet another point of view, focusing more on the grand future of the program.
The SCAF / FCAS, NGF, RC, NGWS Alphabet Soup?

To deal with foreseeable conflicts by 2040, the air assets that we currently own must evolve into a system of systems within the framework of connected collaborative combat: the Système de Combat Aérien Futur (SCAF) or Future Combat Air System (FCAS) in English.

Germany, Spain and France share the same vision for FCAS. Specific to each country but all interoperable, the national FCAS will have to connect the current national capabilities (Rafale for France, Eurofighter for Germany and Spain, drones, surveillance planes, air refueling, command systems) and the future capabilities: these will be open systems combining different assets working in collaboration.

As part of the development of their future SCAFs, the three countries have chosen to cooperate together on what will be at the heart of each of the national FCASs: the development of a new generation combat aircraft (New Generation Fighter - NGF), accompanied by drones (Remote Carriers) which will produce complementary effects.
The whole will be interconnected by a combat cloud. This joint project is called the Next Generation Weapon System (NGWS) weapon system project. It will be able to act either autonomously or in a network with air, naval, land or space combat or command systems ("NGWS within a FCAS").

It will make the most of the potential of real-time connectivity and data fusion. The full potential of artificial intelligence will be exploited in the NGWS, in particular for the benefit of the New-Generation Fighter (NGF).
The contributions of the other national air combat assets which will network with the components of the NGWS system (current airborne platforms, in particular the Rafale which will continue in parallel to evolve and will remain at the best operational level, our future cruise missiles developed with the United Kingdom, other armaments and drones of different types) will be taken into account from the start.

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... ators.html

In light of these new contracts, Airbus and Thales kicked off their cooperation for developing the above-mentioned real-time connectivity that will form part of FCAS.
https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... cloud.html

While the contracts were being signed, France concluded their latest flight test program for Dassault's nEUROn UCAV.
Test flights in a collaborative combat atmosphere was notably carried out with five Rafales, an AWACS aircraft and the nEUROn demonstrator, in multiple tactical configurations.

This latest campaign brings extremely rich lessons in the field of stealth and related advanced technologies

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... -fcas.html

Ozair

Thu May 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Not really sure what the intent is of this other than to tick the "we considered things ethically" box... I appreciate that these technologies bring some interesting ethical questions but I'm not sure that a single vendor will really influence much globally with it also potentially creating friction within the partners.

Airbus launches ethics panel for FCAS/SCAF technologies

Airbus has brought together a panel of experts to explore the ethical dimensions of new technologies to be developed for the Future Combat Air System (FCAS)/Système de Combat Aérien Futur (SCAF) it is developing alongside Dassault and Indra.

Publicly launched on 14 May in conjunction with the Fraunhofer Institute, the commission of industry, political, military, scientific, religious, and subject matter experts first met in September 2019 and will be in place for the duration of the FCAS/SCAF programme.

“For the very first time in history we have a defence programme in FCAS that will be stood-up with an ethical dimension [at its heart],” physicist, information scientist, and panel member Professor Wolfgang Koch said.

With a new website launched at http://www.fcas-forum.eu, the panel of 17 experts will look at some of the vital issues surrounding the future use of artificial intelligence (AI), autonomy, and neural networks in particular with the FCAS/SCAF domain that will comprise the New Generation Fighter (NGF), Remote Carrier (RC), Air Combat Cloud (ACC), European Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance (MALE) Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS), ultra-low observable (LO) unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV), and future cruise missiles.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... d518cbd0a8

Ozair

Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Some further agreement and development pathway for FCAS. It would be very interesting to see what the respective Air Forces agreed to, high performance drones and low performance jets, the other way around or a general baseline for the whole fleet.

Three European air forces approve performance benchmarks for next-gen fighter jet

The air forces of Germany, France and Spain have agreed on a set of performance benchmarks to help their governments guide the development of a next-generation fighter jet set to fly in 2040, the German Bundeswehr announced on Tuesday.

The document, approved earlier this month, is meant to help officials judge which features from a collection of currently 10 possible system architectures are worth keeping when the time comes to settle on path forward for the Next-Generation Weapon System.

The 10 different system architectures for NGWS currently in the mix lean in different directions when it comes to armaments, maneuverability and range of the main jet and its companion drones, for example, the Bundeswehr statement explains.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... ghter-jet/

Ozair

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 am

An opinion piece from Flight Global on the FCAS. Nothing really of substance other than a comparison between the history of running separate programs with a few partners compared to the issues of running a single program with many partners.

The important question remains, can Europe sustain two separate fighter programs when clearly three has been too much.

Can Tempest and FCAS projects both succeed in Europe?

In the opinion of Airbus Defence & Space chief executive Dirk Hoke, Europe’s current trio of advanced fighters – the Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon and Saab Gripen – represent a wasteful replication of industrial effort – and all lose out by battling for the same orders.

International partnering spreads a programme’s investment burden, but elements of the Eurofighter set-up and the Airbus Defence & Space A400M airlifter serve as cautionary tales. Three can be a crowd, but a lack of agreement among four or seven involved nations can cause lengthy delay and spiralling costs.

Surely Europe can comfortably support two next-generation combat aircraft programmes? Indeed, those involved in FCAS and Tempest eye them as offering a real opportunity to power part of their nations’ economic recovery in the post-coronavirus era.

For an alternative view should the projects eventually have to merge, a unified solution could serve all 27 EU member states, plus the UK. Such a prospect could make the US-led Lockheed Martin F-35 programme look like a bureaucratic cakewalk by comparison.

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/ca ... 07.article

mxaxai

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 am

From another FG article (https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-int ... 33.article).
I haven't seen this prototype before, which was supposedly developed into a UAV testbed. A pure flying wing with a diamond planform ... very different from the FCAS mockup we've seen last year.
In November 2019, Airbus’s defence unit also disclosed a more than decade-long research and demonstration effort into very low-observable (LO) technologies conducted as a classified project for the German defence ministry.

The company’s LO UAV testbed – or LOUT – platform has a diamond planform with a roughly 12m (39ft) wingspan and similar length.

The 4t-class, subsonic design features a conventional engine concealed behind a diverterless inlet, with twin intakes blended into its upper fuselage using a radar absorbent structure, and its exhaust nozzle is shielded from beneath.

Airbus says aerodynamic and anechoic chamber testing conducted from 2014 also assessed the signature effect of various sensor apertures and a cockpit transparency, and honed its LO techniques for landing gear doors and an internal weapons bay.

Ozair

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

mxaxai wrote:
From another FG article (https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-int ... 33.article).
I haven't seen this prototype before, which was supposedly developed into a UAV testbed. A pure flying wing with a diamond planform ... very different from the FCAS mockup we've seen last year.
In November 2019, Airbus’s defence unit also disclosed a more than decade-long research and demonstration effort into very low-observable (LO) technologies conducted as a classified project for the German defence ministry.

The company’s LO UAV testbed – or LOUT – platform has a diamond planform with a roughly 12m (39ft) wingspan and similar length.

The 4t-class, subsonic design features a conventional engine concealed behind a diverterless inlet, with twin intakes blended into its upper fuselage using a radar absorbent structure, and its exhaust nozzle is shielded from beneath.

Airbus says aerodynamic and anechoic chamber testing conducted from 2014 also assessed the signature effect of various sensor apertures and a cockpit transparency, and honed its LO techniques for landing gear doors and an internal weapons bay.

It has been posted here before, I think perhaps in one of the stealth threads last year. It is certainly some of the way to a stealth design but will need the associated systems to all make that same stealth advancement as well. Not sure how much value that will be for FCAS but perhaps for the associated unmanned systems there is some benefit.

mxaxai

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am

Ozair wrote:
It has been posted here before, I think perhaps in one of the stealth threads last year. It is certainly some of the way to a stealth design but will need the associated systems to all make that same stealth advancement as well. Not sure how much value that will be for FCAS but perhaps for the associated unmanned systems there is some benefit.

I didn't remember it and it wasn't in this thread, so apologies.
I don't think the overall concept is that important to FCAS but the article states that they also assessed sensor apertures, cockpit, landing gear doors and weapon bays and their impact on LO. So I think it can definitely help with those aspects of stealth; they've been major criticisms of other stealth projects. For example, the Russian Su-57 got flak for its plethora of external sensors, and the KF-X lacks internal weapon bays. Both are difficult to fix afterwards and should be part of the initial airframe design.

It also shows that Airbus is not starting from scratch when it comes to stealth, although I don't know which of the project partners will be responsible for LO design. It would make sense if Dassault as the primary airframe developer would get the lead role there.

tommy1808

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am

mxaxai wrote:
It also shows that Airbus is not starting from scratch when it comes to stealth, although I don't know which of the project partners will be responsible for LO design. It would make sense if Dassault as the primary airframe developer would get the lead role there.

I find it quite curious that Airbus put the intakes on top despite designing it for low level work...

Best regards
Thomas

Ozair

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Dassault is sending a clear message that it doesn’t want any further partners for FCAS. Not sure how that gels with the French and German Governments who may want to have additional funding sources. Dassault obviously doesn’t want to dilute their workshare but it will be interesting to see how that matches with potential exports of Rafale in the mid to late 20s where you would think Dassault has to offer FCAS participation to remain competitive.

Dassault rules out widening FCAS partnership

Dassault chief executive Eric Trappier has stressed that no more countries can be admitted to the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) programme being co-developed by France, Germany and Spain for fear of delaying the effort.

Under the programme timeline, the partner nations – and their respective industrial champions Dassault, Airbus Defence & Space and Indra – are due to fly a demonstrator of the planned Next Generation Fighter aircraft by 2026, a schedule which is “pretty ambitious”, says Trappier. Dassault is leading the fighter development effort.

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/da ... 59.article

Flying-Tiger

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:12 am

Ozair wrote:
Dassault is sending a clear message that it doesn’t want any further partners for FCAS. Not sure how that gels with the French and German Governments who may want to have additional funding sources. Dassault obviously doesn’t want to dilute their workshare but it will be interesting to see how that matches with potential exports of Rafale in the mid to late 20s where you would think Dassault has to offer FCAS participation to remain competitive.

As far as I understand this move is acutally supported by the three partnering nations France, Germany and Spain. The core issue for the delay and cost-overruns for the A400M, Eurofighter Typhoon, NH 90 etc. has been the number of partners and particular interests to respect and integrate (see the engine of the A400M...). The lesson learned has been to limit the number of partners at least in the development phase. This approach is visible at other projects, too, and not only in aviation.

Ozair

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Indra are now officially an Industry partner for FCAS although I remain sceptical about what they will actually contribute and be allocated via the program.

Indra formally joins FCAS alongside Airbus, Dassault

Indra has formally joined the Future Combat Air System (FCAS)/Syst?me de Combat A?rien du Futur (SCAF) programme as the national lead for Spain, alongside Airbus for Germany and Dassault for France.

The milestone, announced on 29 July, sees the company join the Joint Concept Study (JCS) phase of the programme that was launched in February 2019, and comes some 11 months after the Spanish government appointed Indra to lead its efforts on the FCAS/SCAF programme in September 2019.

“Indra has signed a contractual amendment that positions the company as a contractor of the Joint Concept Study, along with the national coordinators of France (Dassault) and Germany (Airbus). The French [defence procurement] agency DGA has signed as the procurement entity acting on behalf of the defence ministries of France, Germany, and Spain,” the company said in a statement, adding, “Indra thus cements its role as coordinator of Spanish industry in the programme and its representative to the industrial coordinators of France and Germany.”

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... s-dassault

Ozair

Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 am

An update on the Mission System proposed for FCAS. A lot of this feels like catch up to me to US 5th Gen fighters.

Future Combat Mission System consortium charts FCAS progress

Germany’s Future Combat Mission System (FCMS) consortium has charted the progress being made in developing sensor technology for the Future Combat Air System (FCAS).

On 3 November the FCMS consortium of Hensoldt, Diehl Defence, ESG, and Rohde & Schwarz reported good overall progress in its efforts to develop the future suite of FCAS sensors alongside its Spanish partner Indra and France’s Thales. In particular, it noted advancements in developing what it termed the 4π Meta Sensor Effector System (MSES).

“The FCMS experts [have] provided both a clear, forward-looking overview of the technological challenges, such as the 4π MSES, where 4π describes the complete volume of sensor space around the platforms as well as the effectors. Also well received [at recent briefings], some important insights into the operational requirements for the future system of systems from the perspective of an experienced fighter pilot,” FCMS said.

On its website, FCMS describes 4π MSES as enabling “the rapid orchestration in the integrated sensor-effector network, not only as a counterpoint to the ground-based enemy air-defence networks, but also to expected [airborne threats to the] FCAS and Next-Generation Weapon System (NGWS). In many cases, individual sensors and effectors will have to perform several tasks in parallel, for example, on the basis of multifunctionality. Electronically scanned [radar] systems or distributed apertures of passive sensor systems that can perform several tasks synchronously, for example, by means of electronic beam control and suitable resource management, pave the way for this.”

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... s-progress

mxaxai

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:08 pm

Airbus is hiring engineers for LO simulation and testing as well as aerodynamics.

Who we are and what we do:
we calculate radar signatures with electromagnetic simulations and measure them in the high-frequency laboratory
we design, simulate, optimize and measure LO aircraft components
we are a design driver with LO for the new NGFD (Next Generation Fighter Demonstrator) fighter aircraft as part of FCAS (Future Combat Air Systems)
in the German part of FCAS, our department has the lead in the topic LO
In the position you will have the following tasks:
... Reverse engineering of foreign defense material (aircraft, UAVs, cruise missiles, multistage ballistic missiles) with respect to radar signature relevant characteristics and details.

Fluent german and english is required for all positions except for aerodynamics.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:16 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Fluent german and english is required for all positions except for aerodynamics.

English is the working language at Airbus, so not such a surprise.

mxaxai

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:36 pm

VSMUT wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

It is perhaps more surprising that fluent german is required. There aren't that many people in Germany that have experience in LO design.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:00 pm

mxaxai wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

It is perhaps more surprising that fluent german is required. There aren't that many people in Germany that have experience in LO design.

Apart from the LOUT project which ran since 2007, or the MBB Lampyridae which ran in the 1980s, Dassault nEUROn (mostly French, but not without German participation), several other UAV projects (most notably the EADS Barracuda), the entire submarine program and several new surface warships and several studies for ground vehicles. Not to mention the Eurofighter, which might not be on the same level as the F-22, but still has a reduced radar cross section. You only have to take a walk through the Germany university stands at a Paris Air Salon to notice that they are all studying it.

art

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:39 pm

FCAS workshare plan sparks German union concerns

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/fc ... 55.article

mxaxai

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:22 pm

art wrote:

I don't have access to the FG article but the key point is that the FCAS demonstrator is planned to be a Rafale derivative, built by Dassault. German workers' representatives have demanded that there be another, Eurofighter-based, demonstrator to "preserve knowledge and jobs in Germany" and to transfer FCAS R&D into future Eurofighter improvements more easily. They claim that this decision would "spell the end for the German aerospace industry".

This (intentionally?) forgets that there are other defence projects, for example the Eurodrone "MALE RPAS" and the new AFV "MGCS", that are being developed under German leadership. The precise workshare for FCAS serial production hasn't been defined yet, whether there will be just one FAL (presumably in France) or multiple lines like for the Eurofighter.

art

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 pm

mxaxai wrote:
art wrote:

I don't have access to the FG article but the key point is that the FCAS demonstrator is planned to be a Rafale derivative, built by Dassault. German workers' representatives have demanded that there be another, Eurofighter-based, demonstrator to "preserve knowledge and jobs in Germany" and to transfer FCAS R&D into future Eurofighter improvements more easily.

Is it realistic for Rafale to get the benefit but not Typhoon? It might be different if France was buying more Rafales while Germany was not buying more Typhoons.

mxaxai

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:57 pm

art wrote:
Is it realistic for Rafale to get the benefit but not Typhoon? It might be different if France was buying more Rafales while Germany was not buying more Typhoons.

It's doubtful that there is much to gain for Rafale in the first place. The demonstrator is planned to reuse several Rafale systems, e. g. the engines, but is not a simple evolution of the Rafale. It's more comparable to the X-2 or the X-35 / X-32.

Btw, using the EJ200 was considered but dismissed because:
- Safran as the primary French engine manufacturer is not involved at all
- RR is a primary contractor for both the EJ200 and the future Tempest engine

From an engineering point of view, there is some merit to building two different demonstrators à la X-32 and X-35. But from a financial and political point of view, you'd have to invest twice the money. 4B € are currently allocated for the demonstrator, that's not pocket change.

Mortyman

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 pm

Lets hope it will operate better and more economically than the NH-90 ...

art

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:18 am

France capable of building FCAS alone - Trappier

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... -warplane/

Also info at: https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/hu ... 44.article

No doubt the case but would France be prepared to finance it alone?

JayinKitsap

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:33 am

Does the accident affect the FCAS, was Olivier Dassault a leader or just a figurehead. This could take Dassault sideways for a while.

Dassault is the president of strategy and development of the family-controlled aerospace and software conglomerate Dassault Groupe.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bi ... pter-crash.

mxaxai

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:45 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
Does the accident affect the FCAS, was Olivier Dassault a leader or just a figurehead. This could take Dassault sideways for a while.

Dassault is the president of strategy and development of the family-controlled aerospace and software conglomerate Dassault Groupe.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/bi ... pter-crash.

I doubt that it has any short-term effects on Dassault Aviation. It is said that Olivier Dassault primarily focused on his job as member of parliament since 2018.
Death of Olivier Dassault, the heir who had made politics a hobby

Marcel Dassault's grandson died on Sunday in a helicopter accident. MP for l'Oise, he had given up taking the reins of the family empire in 2018 for incompatibility with his mandate.

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/art ... _3382.html [French]

art

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:44 am

New industry pact for FCAS fighter jet program

Airbus and Dassault reached an agreement that removed “the main obstacle” to launching the demonstrator portion of the fighter program, said the French Senate’s foreign affairs and defense committee in a Tuesday press release. The agreement, called “a major turning point” by the panel, could be approved by the German Bundestag by summer.

The accord, first reported April 2 by La Tribune, comes after months of simmering doubt that the FCAS lead executives would be able to resolve important issues for the program’s progress — namely, intellectual property rights and workshare agreements between French, German, and Spanish industries. Dassault Aviation leads the French industry portion of FCAS — also called SCAF — while Airbus represents Germany’s industry and Indra leads Spain’s participation.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... t-program/

texl1649

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:24 pm

An agreement for work share on a technology demonstrator today makes it seem quite improbable any IOC could be achieved prior to 2035, if past is prelude (Eurofighter, A400M).

art

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:18 pm

texl1649 wrote:
An agreement for work share on a technology demonstrator today makes it seem quite improbable any IOC could be achieved prior to 2035, if past is prelude (Eurofighter, A400M).

Germany will be getting more Eurofighters in coming years and possibly F/A-18. France will be getting more Rafales. Spain could order more Eurofighters/F-35 in the near future to replace Hornets Is there any great urgency in getting FCAS into service before mid-2030's?

seahawk

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:16 am

Lots of money for a plane that will be obsolete when entering production.

art

Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 pm