zanl188
Topic Author

SLS / Orion - Tests, Launches, & Developments

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:54 am

I didn’t see an SLS / Orion mega thread... good time to start one I think.

Ascent abort test 2 took place this morning. Apparently successful.

Capsule was not recoverable, therefore equipped with ejectable recorders. NASA asked the public to return recorders if found. Lots of “Florida Man” jokes about that....

I’ll post video of test later unless someone else does in the meantime.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Francoflier

Re: SLS / Orion - Tests, Launches, & Developments

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq71ocWMcg

Pretty impressive footage. Quite funny to see the stubby Orion assembly just lifting off seemingly on its own.
They actually used a refurbished ballistic missile booster for the test. The capsule was just a boilerplate which got discarded. The pictures early in the video show the actual size of the escape system, and it's actually quite massive and gives a good sense of just how big the SLS/Orion assembly will be.

It's good to see some progress on the Orion/SLS front. It has been painfully slow so far, especially compared to the breakneck pace of the commercial space launching scene nowadays.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

nycbjr

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:20 pm

its great to see progress (finally) on the SLS, but I'm afraid we may never see it completed. It's so much cheaper to use commercial these days. I'm also afraid this admin doesn't have the stones to fully fund it. I'm afraid one more delay and even congress will allow its cancelation, silly since it's nearly ready.

zanl188
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq71ocWMcg

Pretty impressive footage. Quite funny to see the stubby Orion assembly just lifting off seemingly on its own.
They actually used a refurbished ballistic missile booster for the test. The capsule was just a boilerplate which got discarded. The pictures early in the video show the actual size of the escape system, and it's actually quite massive and gives a good sense of just how big the SLS/Orion assembly will be.

It's good to see some progress on the Orion/SLS front. It has been painfully slow so far, especially compared to the breakneck pace of the commercial space launching scene nowadays.

Pretty impressive to see relatively large pieces of hardware falling from the sky like that.

casinterest

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Why did they not try to parachute the capsule in at all? Seems like a waste of money to just let it be destroyed.
Where ever you go, there you are.

zanl188
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
Why did they not try to parachute the capsule in at all? Seems like a waste of money to just let it be destroyed.

Capsule was a mockup and had no further use.

Francoflier

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:58 pm

nycbjr wrote:
its great to see progress (finally) on the SLS, but I'm afraid we may never see it completed. It's so much cheaper to use commercial these days. I'm also afraid this admin doesn't have the stones to fully fund it. I'm afraid one more delay and even congress will allow its cancelation, silly since it's nearly ready.

The problem with commercial launchers is that none of them has the capacity the SLS has and none of them could launch Orion and its service module on the missions that are planned for them.

The only one that might come close is SpaceX's Starship, but despite their enthusiasm and optimism, it will not be ready to launch for a long while and it will take much longer yet to get approval from Nasa to launch humans in it...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

nycbjr

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Francoflier wrote:
nycbjr wrote:

The problem with commercial launchers is that none of them has the capacity the SLS has and none of them could launch Orion and its service module on the missions that are planned for them.

The only one that might come close is SpaceX's Starship, but despite their enthusiasm and optimism, it will not be ready to launch for a long while and it will take much longer yet to get approval from Nasa to launch humans in it...

No I agree with you completely on this, I want to see SLS finished, I'm just afraid since its delayed it might not get there.. Heres hoping!

Francoflier

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Yeah, it's definitely on shaky ground. Space exploration is always an easy target for politician when they come around trying to find money somewhere.

Let's hope it literally is 'too big to fail'...

Nomadd

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:11 pm

zanl188 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Capsule was a mockup and the rocket wasn't the one that will launch the real capsule. Compared to SpaceX using a production capsule, avionics and rocket, I have to wonder about the value of testing with completely different equipment than you'll fly with.

casinterest

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Nomadd wrote:
zanl188 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Capsule was a mockup and the rocket wasn't the one that will launch the real capsule. Compared to SpaceX using a production capsule, avionics and rocket, I have to wonder about the value of testing with completely different equipment than you'll fly with.

It seems this test was for a minor part, and while yes it removes unwanted variables, it makes this Orion solution look like it will have an availability a lot father off into the future. I think Blue Origin and Spacex will make Orion/SLS a waste of Money.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Francoflier

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:43 am

casinterest wrote:
It seems this test was for a minor part, and while yes it removes unwanted variables, it makes this Orion solution look like it will have an availability a lot father off into the future. I think Blue Origin and Spacex will make Orion/SLS a waste of Money.

I'm not so sure.
As cocky as commercial space ventures are, putting humans into space is still an extremely complex task.
If anything, Orion's launch escape system is now proven to work, whereas Crew Dragon's little disappearing trick on the test stand has cast a big shadow on its crewed flights schedule.

Not to mention that Orion was designed as a space exploration spacecraft, not a ground-to-orbit-and-back shuttle. It comes with a service module that allows prolonged stints in space and a launcher that can throw it well into the solar system. It has capabilities that no other spacecraft has, even if it is way more expensive.

I'd bet that Orion/SLS could get America back on the Moon before SpaceX or Blue Origin ever could... if it gets funded.