phugoid1982
Topic Author

Chengdu J-20 potential DPRK export?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Although the Chinese have previously claimed that the J-20 is off limits for export, is there any possibility a few might be surreptitiously sent to North Korea to stir the geopolitical pot?

Slug71

Re: Chengdu J-20 potential DPRK export?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Highly doubt that.

Ozair

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 am

Slug71 wrote:
Highly doubt that.

Agree as well, I doubt it would impact the geopolitical situation much. A few aircraft doesn't change the strategic balance in their favour and would likely be an expensive use of scant NK resources.

Dutchy

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 am

Does the J-31 have the same restrictions? Seems like a cheaper aircraft to me.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Slug71

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Does the J-31 have the same restrictions? Seems like a cheaper aircraft to me.

It shouldn't. The J-31 was initially intended for export. I dont see why that would change. The J-31 actually has export potential, but not sure if that would include NK. At least not yet.

keesje

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:32 am

I guess the focus will be on getting a few hundred in service and integration stand off ASM's, not exports.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

hmmwv

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:49 am

China wouldn't give heavily used Su-27SKs to NK, let along the best aircraft in PLAAF inventory. The North Koreans won't be stupid enough to ask, they know they can't man and maintain a fifth gen stealth fighter. The J-31 (or more accurately the FC-31) is indeed available for export but so far we haven't seen anyone express interest, not even the Pakistanis. I see the only future of the program is a heavily revised version 3.0 for PLAN's carrier fighter program.

To keesje, I don't understand why integrating ASMs is a priority, the J-20 is strictly an air superiority fighter, not a multirole aircraft.

keesje

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 pm

hmmwv wrote:
China wouldn't give heavily used Su-27SKs to NK, let along the best aircraft in PLAAF inventory. The North Koreans won't be stupid enough to ask, they know they can't man and maintain a fifth gen stealth fighter. The J-31 (or more accurately the FC-31) is indeed available for export but so far we haven't seen anyone express interest, not even the Pakistanis. I see the only future of the program is a heavily revised version 3.0 for PLAN's carrier fighter program.

To keesje, I don't understand why integrating ASMs is a priority, the J-20 is strictly an air superiority fighter, not a multirole aircraft.

When I first this aircraft, I saw a strike aircraft. It's multi role, but I still expect "surprises" in further development. And I'm not the only one, it would better fit Chinese strategic requirements.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:04 am

China tolerates North Korea. The US hates North Korea. And the US and China tolerate each other with relations dipping that much lower every month. Any country that gives any kind of military hardware will be met with huge sanctions from the US, China is no exception.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.