Futureavaitor
Topic Author

Air Force Reserve Pilot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:27 am

I was wondering how you become a pilot in the Air Force reserves how long it takes and if being a afr pilot is part time?

mmo

Re: Air Force Reserve Pilot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:17 am

To be honest, the ANG is a better option for someone who has not been on active duty, but that is my opinion only.

First thing you need to do is find a unit which will sponsor you and sent you to SUPT (Pilot Training) and OTS. That entire process will take about 15-16 months. From there you proceed to an RTU for initial training on the aircraft your unit flies. Then it is back to your unit for further training to bring you to mission-ready status. Both ANG and AFRES units like to get a full-time commitment of 1-2 years from a new pilot. This allows the pilot to build up time and get comfortable in the aircraft.
There are both full time and part-time positions available. However, part-time is not what you think, where you just fly weekends. Depending on the aircraft you fly and the unit's policy 10days/month is pretty common for days you have to work. If you are ANG/AFRES or active duty your quarterly requirements are the same and if you don't maintain that you go from mission ready to mission capable status which is a big hassle for the unit.

There are age limits for entry but the unit can get a waiver if they really want you. If you are from the local area that makes a big difference as the unit is much more willing to invest in you, ANG especially.

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for part-time and other jobs?
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Futureavaitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks, well I don’t know much about the Air Force reserves so I thought it would be possible to be in the reserves and also fly for a airline.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm

It is possible for either the ANG or the AFRC (Air Force Reserve Command); but either sends you to pilot training plan on several years of full-time duty nowadays. The mission training is pretty intensive regardless of aircraft. Both branches have their advantages and disadvantages. I started Ed in the ANG, retired in the AFRC. As a junior officer, probably doesn’t matter much.

Futureavaitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm

How much are you required to be there and how much did y’all get paid if you don’t mind me asking?

mmo

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Futureavaitor wrote:
How much are you required to be there and how much did y’all get paid if you don’t mind me asking?

Depends if you are full time or part-time. If you are AFRES and full time you are paid on the GS scale. If you are part-time you are paid by drill session. For a pilot, you can get more than one part-time session in a day so it really depends. As far as a specific dollar amount, aI retired over 10 years ago and couldn't even guess.

As far as flying for an airline, As Galaxy Flyer pointed out, the AFREC and the ANG will want a full-time commitment to get their investment back and to get you up to speed. Personally, I would go active duty and then get hired by an airline and then get a guard job. But that is my opinion only.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Futureavaitor wrote:

Depends on the plane and mission. Fighter bubbas are in the squadron 7-10 days per month plus a peacetime deployment or two during the year. That might be to a foreign base for two weeks or Red Flag. Heavies are less, probably 5-8 days months. Herks deploy for various rotations, C-5 fly overseas trips (3-15 days) and C-17 guys do both. Full time, you might full AD pay and allowances, look it up. GS-13s make GS-13 pay and civilian benefits. A company grade reservist on flight pay, probably $20-30,000 per year, easy, depending on plane.

GF

Futureavaitor
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:11 pm

How long does it take full time to become a part time reservist?

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Well, UPT is a year plus 12 weeks of OTS and a few weeks of schedule hiccups. Post-UPT depends on assignment, fighter RTU is 6-8 months, heavies about 3-4. Then, unit time to become mission ready. Minimally, 6-12 months of flying, but I think the units are pushing for more.

mmo

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Most ANG and AFRES units, these days want 2 years of full time flying, at a minimum. Remember they used one of their UPT slots and during the interview, you will be asked about tie commitments. Believe me, trying to be a new hire at an airline and fly in the ANG is a tough spot to be in.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:17 pm

But, there is no better experience and it will remain with you for life. I have 40+ year friends and have made two career “rescues” from my contacts there. Nothing like an old squadronmate calling with, “hey, I hear you’re looking, stop by” knowing there is only a short discussion for the job.

Secondy, there’s no better or more assured route to an aviation career.