FL52RA41
Topic Author

RAF Rercuitment Advertisements?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:43 am

Hello All

Having watched the latest RAF recruitment advert on tv I'm beginning to wonder I far pc this has gone. With every character being b---ki 'm not being racist here, but this was not the case when watching RAF 1970's adverts.

PC gone mad, I thought society was about equal balance but not in this case. Would France or Germany or Spain be this correct I don't think so!!

Phenom89

Re: RAF Rercuitment Advertisements?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:58 am

What similarities are you expecting to see compared to the 70’s? Perhaps they’re trying to recruit more people of colour to help create the ‘equal balance’.

FL52RA41
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Equal balance is where things are even.

GDB

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:16 pm

FL52RA41 wrote:
Hello All

Having watched the latest RAF recruitment advert on tv I'm beginning to wonder I far pc this has gone. With every character being b---ki 'm not being racist here, but this was not the case when watching RAF 1970's adverts.

PC gone mad, I thought society was about equal balance but not in this case. Would France or Germany or Spain be this correct I don't think so!!

I take it you mean this one;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sM3E4xFB0Y

The services are undermanned, recruiting is a problem, not helped by the Govt in it's rigid 'government bad/private great' stance gave the job some years ago to one of those parasite companies who always fuck up but always get another juicy government contract.
Witness the 2012 Olympic Security screw up (saved by deploying the military), the worst rail franchises, the worst run prisons, care homes, the list is almost endless. Serco, G4S, those C**ts.

But to your point, it has also long been recognised that ethnic minorities are under represented in the armed forces, not as a token but as % of population.
Prince Charles made the point over 30 years ago that he'd not seen one ethnic minority in all the lines of troops he'd inspected in the Guards Regiments but this was not the case with the Parachute Regiment, which he was and is C in C of.
(Daily Mail likely had a predictable fit about it at the time).

Last year in their 100th anniversary, the RAF reminded us it is the youngest, often most forward thinking service.
Less tradition (though they've that too) more technical.
So I suspect those ads are aimed at young people interested in STEM but for whatever reason just have never even thought about using their skills and education, as well as greatly enhancing them, in the RAF.

In the ad above, it's the same actress showing different roles available in the RAF.
That's the message, all roles are open, something that might surprise a lot of people.

It might appear odd to us but if you do not see people who look like you, at all, in an institution you will not consider it, you and I might not think that because we've never had to, so I don't think you are being racist at all.

As an aside, I've friends who work in the MoD and one of them, back in the 1990's, half jokingly suggested that then mass circulation adult comic Viz should have army recruitment ads, after it did a parody of one. He cited the demographic of most of the readers.
Sure enough, a bit later that's just what the MoD did. He got feedback later saying it was one of the more successful ad campaigns of the time.