FL52RA41
Topic Author

B2 Bomber?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Evening All

Can the USAF B2 Bomber carry any extra crew.

RetiredWeasel

Re: B2 Bomber?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Since there are only 2 ejection seats in the aircraft I would assume "no" for any operational mission.

Ozair

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:16 am

FL52RA41 wrote:
Evening All

Can the USAF B2 Bomber carry any extra crew.

Found this interesting article on the B-2 which also confirms the two seats. Not sure how the stats are looking now but certainly interesting that more people have been to space than flown the B-2…

We Fly a B-2 Stealth Bomber

More people have been to space than have flown in a B-2 stealth bomber. PopMech gets an extremely rare ride, flying a B-2 training mission and going behind the scenes to meet the people (and dogs) who've kept the B-2 at the forefront of American power projection for 20 years.

Timothy "Scar" Sullivan, of the 393rd squadron, 509th Bomb Wing, based in Missouri's Whiteman Air Force Base, isn't worried. The B-2 pilot has confidence in three things: His unshakeable ability to monitor every detail of the flight, his ability to recover from anything I can possibly do at this altitude, and the airplane's ability to stop me from doing anything too dumb. He's also rated as an instructor, so he's qualified to operate the airplane with nothing but untrained dead weight (me) on the right side of the two-seat airplane.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... th-bomber/

mmo

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:53 am

There are provisions to carry a third crewmember in a non ejection seat behind the two pilots. The B-1 and B-52 have a similar setup with the ability to carry instructors, with the B-1 having 2 non ejection seats and the B-52 having 2 (one behind the pilots, one behind the R/N and Nav). Since the gunner position was removed an instructor EW can occupy that ejection seat.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Might be provisions but I think there was an accident where a non-ejection crew was killed because he didn’t have a “way out”. The Brit bombers didn’t have ejection seats for the navs—bonkers IMO. If there’s one ejection seat, then everyone should have one.

GF

FL52RA41
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:22 pm

Many thanks, as with the B-47 &B-52 I did wonder if they carried a third crew member for long transits.

DfwRevolution

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Might be provisions but I think there was an accident where a non-ejection crew was killed because he didn’t have a “way out”. The Brit bombers didn’t have ejection seats for the navs—bonkers IMO. If there’s one ejection seat, then everyone should have one.

GF

Perhaps with other bombers, but not a B-2. The single B-2 that was lost on Guam was not carrying an observer and both crew members ejected successfully.

Ejection seats are risky contraptions with pyrotechnics and rocket motors. It's probably safer for everyone involved - flight crew and ground crew - to not have one sitting around if it will be empty 99.9% of the time.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Having ridden one in anger, an ejection seat, when it’s needed, if you don’t have it, you won’t need it ever again. They are anything but a risky contraption.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Yes indeed.
One of the more unusual events in Heathrow's history was the crash of a Vulcan bomber (yes, this was at Heathrow!!!) on 1st October 1956.
By all events that was quite a day, beginning with the surprise appearance for the first time in the West of three brand new Aeroflot Tu-104s carrying the Bolshoi ballet (¹). Scheduled for arrival at Heathrow, the thick fog necessitated their diversion to RAF Manston.

Meanwhile, Vulcan XA897 was returning after a round-the-world demonstration tour, with anything but a regular crew, comprising Air Chief Marshall Sir Harry Broadhurst, four Squadron Leaders, and a civilian. Whilst performing a GCA in this thick fog, the Vulcan descended too low, struck the ground, and rose back into the air briefly before the two pilots ejected (at low altitude - i.e. 80 feet AGL). The other four crew perished. :tombstone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Lond ... lcan_crash

(¹) The Tu-104 had been unveiled at Tushino a year earlier, and a single example (Prototype CCCP-L5400) had visited Heathrow six mths earlier in connection with a state visit by Nikita Krushchev (Note the wording; Krushchev himself was persuaded to make the journey in a separate a/c)
However, as the type had not even been introduced into service within Russia at this time, let alone in the West, the simultaneous appearance of three a/c just six mths later, with serials suggesting a total of up to 14 a/c were now flying, must have caused some consternation.
Frank Hudson's photo on a.net database also refers to ballet dancers, but is dated April 1956, so take your pick of which facts are correct here. :lol:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:48 pm

There was an infamous dining-in, huge in scale, that featured AVM Broadhurst as speaker. The attendees, all well into their cups, included several navigators and bomb aimers who stood up and pronounced him, .”an f’ing murderer”; which wasn’t true, but put a damper on things. Pprune had a hilarious thread on it. Apparently, it was an RAF version of Tailhook ’91.

txjim

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:03 am

mmo wrote:
There are provisions to carry a third crewmember in a non ejection seat behind the two pilots. The B-1 and B-52 have a similar setup with the ability to carry instructors, with the B-1 having 2 non ejection seats and the B-52 having 2 (one behind the pilots, one behind the R/N and Nav). Since the gunner position was removed an instructor EW can occupy that ejection seat.

The third seat position was formally occupied by removable equipment racks & mission-based equipment. The rack is now permanent and contains additional COMs equipment.
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/trusted-computing/article/16726388/rockwell-collins-builds-very-low-frequency-vlf-military-communications-for-b2-stealth-bomber

hmmwv

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 am

When I read OP's post the first thing came to my mind is sleeping pods carried around the rotary racks for passengers......