IFlyVeryLittle
Topic Author

Jets on display?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I pass a little grass strip on Interstate 75 in Florida frequently, and I'm always amused by the sight of an A-7 up on a stand, gear and flaps down, made to look like it's seconds away from landing there. And I remember as a kid playing at a park with an F-100 in the middle of a playground for kids to climb on (man, did that get hot in the summer). So my question is, where do these airframes come from? Surely they're stripped of everything but the inner framework and outer skin. How much would something like that cost and can just anyone buy one?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Jets on display?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:24 am

They all come from DM in Tucson. At some point, anything of value is stripped and the airframe sold to scrappers. They might be a source unless your congressman has pull to let AMARC release one. KMSP had a SR-71 for years until the USAF took it back.

You thought the F-100 was hot on the outside, should have flown one thru an Arizona summer.

GF

JayinKitsap

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Our local NAD park has a F-8 Crusader on display. Back in 73 is was donated to the park including the move to put it on display by the Navy. After a hard landing in 68 it was used to train and test on the carrier, never to fly again. Sailors learned to move this hulk around on the carrier where it didn't matter if it got damaged. Once the F-8's left the fleet no need for this 'decoy'. It came in on the Connie for a refit and basically thrown away.

HaveBlue

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 am

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
I pass a little grass strip on Interstate 75 in Florida frequently, and I'm always amused by the sight of an A-7 up on a stand, gear and flaps down, made to look like it's seconds away from landing there. And I remember as a kid playing at a park with an F-100 in the middle of a playground for kids to climb on (man, did that get hot in the summer). So my question is, where do these airframes come from? Surely they're stripped of everything but the inner framework and outer skin. How much would something like that cost and can just anyone buy one?

Yep that A-7 is off of I-75 in Lake City, at the approach end of the east/west runway at Cannon Creek Airpark. I have a friend that lives there, Lima Lima T-34 pilot, and have flown in and out of there before with him.

image upload

Picture courtesy of Google Maps.