ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Apollo 11 Landing Pad to be Demolished

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Here is a link to an article that talks about the plan to demolish the Apollo 11 landing pad in Houston and where the astronauts were quarantined. This is a building that should be saved and preserved for future generations.
http://on.nbcdfw.com/18gfeRh

Tugger

Re: Apollo 11 Landing Pad to be Demolished

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm sorry, while I do get the historic nature of what events transpired within some buildings, I think money should be spent wisely and would rather it go too future efforts. It's an old building of no particular architectural significance, just a normal design then slap together structure, that was used as a tool for early space efforts. The important parts from that are what we learned and where we go from there.

I say it's OK as it saves money otherwise wasted to restore some unused building that won't ever be used productively in the future, and the money can be spent on future efforts.

For reference:
Its the building in front/bottom.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Nomadd

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the plan to demolish the Apollo 11 landing pad in Houston and where the astronauts were quarantined. This is a building that should be saved and preserved for future generations.
http://on.nbcdfw.com/18gfeRh

Unless they're destroying something on the moon, they're not destroying the Apollo 11 landing pad.

Francoflier

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 am

The real 'landing pad' of Apollo 11 for me is the USS Hornet, currently moored in Alameda as a museum and which has an excellent exhibit on the recovery of the command module and the astronauts.
She also recovered Apollo 12.

Fantastic museum well worth the visit if you're in the SF bay.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

kc135topboom

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:57 pm

It seems to me it would be cheaper to renovate and update the building than to demolish it and build a new building. This building is only 52 years old, which isn't old for a building. The upgrades could include new electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems, new work stations, and wired for computers. The building could be expanded if needed. It could be a duel use building, for NASA work and future work and a historical tour added to the NASA complex tours.

Max Q

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 am

The real landing pad for Apollo 11 was the Pacific Ocean
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

timh4000

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:32 am

The u.s. lately has a thing for dismantling some very important moments in history. Moments that have defined our aerospace progress and the greatness of what we've become.

Personally, I don't see a need for the B-52 anymore. I know this can be argued to death but I think if the USAF retired it today and used all the resources of such a dinosaur of a plane. The toughest and last designed are Well into their 50s. A plane that has decades of life and billions which will be spent from now till its final day. I think it's just such an iconic plane where pilots have grandfathers who've flown an earlier version. Yet, let's tear up a piece of iconic history. At the Kennedy space center. You can walk the gantry apollo 11 walked to climb into their capsule. Walking it I almost got chills. Yrs, preserving them does cost money, I get that. But dropping a billion on the B-52 is justified? It doesn't seem that way to me.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 am

kc135topboom wrote:
It seems to me it would be cheaper to renovate and update the building than to demolish it and build a new building. This building is only 52 years old, which isn't old for a building. The upgrades could include new electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems, new work stations, and wired for computers. The building could be expanded if needed. It could be a duel use building, for NASA work and future work and a historical tour added to the NASA complex tours.

I certainly agree with you on that.