ANZUS340
Topic Author

KC-135T

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi all. I have read the forums and although members say the difference between the KC-135R and the KC-135T is the location of a light (I think that is right?) Could somebody describe precisely where the light on the KC-135T is located or show it on a photo? I believe I am right in understanding that it is located on the tail section of the aircraft? Or am I wrong. I just am trying to see where. I have spent hours looking at photos but I don't really know what I am looking for.

Thanks all for your time.

kc135topboom

Re: KC-135T

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 pm

It is located in the tail cone, on the bottom of the cone. The light can rotate and be directed into the refueling envelope, controlled by the Boom Operator. But that is not the only difference between the KC-135R and the KC-135T. The KC-135T was originally the KC-135Q until it was reengined. The "T" and "Q" has a split fuel system so it can carry two different types of fuel. It was specialized to refuel the SR-71 with JP-7.
The forward and aft body tanks and the upper deck tank carried the JP-7 and all of it could be offloaded, while all four main wing tanks, the two reserve tanks, and the center wing tank carried JP-4, or now a days, JP-8 for use by the tanker. For this reason the KC-135T has a 850 lbs. ballast weight under the radar. When it was a "Q" it also had LORAN-C Navigation the "A" model did not have. The "T/Q also had a 3rd comm UHF radio (Comm 3) that was more powerful than the Comm 1 and Comm 2 UHF radios or the VHF, or HF radios. The "Q" model had white strobe lights on the wingtips, the upper and lower fuselage (in addition to the rotating red/white beacons), and a strobe with the tail light. Later the wingtip strobes were removed from the "Q" after one blew a wingtip off a Beale KC-135Q. It is my understanding that all KC-135s have white and red strobe lights, replacing the original rotating beacons now.

ANZUS340
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:17 am

kc135topboom wrote:
It is located in the tail cone, on the bottom of the cone. The light can rotate and be directed into the refueling envelope, controlled by the Boom Operator. But that is not the only difference between the KC-135R and the KC-135T. The KC-135T was originally the KC-135Q until it was reengined. The "T" and "Q" has a split fuel system so it can carry two different types of fuel. It was specialized to refuel the SR-71 with JP-7.
The forward and aft body tanks and the upper deck tank carried the JP-7 and all of it could be offloaded, while all four main wing tanks, the two reserve tanks, and the center wing tank carried JP-4, or now a days, JP-8 for use by the tanker. For this reason the KC-135T has a 850 lbs. ballast weight under the radar. When it was a "Q" it also had LORAN-C Navigation the "A" model did not have. The "T/Q also had a 3rd comm UHF radio (Comm 3) that was more powerful than the Comm 1 and Comm 2 UHF radios or the VHF, or HF radios. The "Q" model had white strobe lights on the wingtips, the upper and lower fuselage (in addition to the rotating red/white beacons), and a strobe with the tail light. Later the wingtip strobes were removed from the "Q" after one blew a wingtip off a Beale KC-135Q. It is my understanding that all KC-135s have white and red strobe lights, replacing the original rotating beacons now.

Thanks very much for the additional information.

Ok I think I know where it is in the picture below. Is it just above the wire connected to the boom? I don't see that rectangle in other pictures of other KC-135s refueling other aircraft?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/6a/1e ... a73f01.jpg

sovietjet

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:19 pm

The view from the boomer window on the "T" is also slightly more restricted as there is some extra equipment on the upper right side covering up a part of the window.

kc135topboom

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 pm

sovietjet wrote:
The view from the boomer window on the "T" is also slightly more restricted as there is some extra equipment on the upper right side covering up a part of the window.

No, that was the through the Boom interphone capability, which at one time only the KC-135Q had. Evenutally all KC-135A/D/E/Qs got a new through the Boom interphone system and that system was removed. The KC-135Q had two signal coils on the nozzle with the old system, they were replaced with the newer nozzle with the new Boom interphone system.

sovietjet

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:45 am

Well, all I know is that several years ago I flew on a KC-135T for some air-to-air photos and immediately noticed that I had less viewing area for my camera than my usual KC-135 flights. The crew said it was a T model and that's why it had that extra equipment...

kc135topboom wrote:
sovietjet wrote:

No, that was the through the Boom interphone capability, which at one time only the KC-135Q had. Evenutally all KC-135A/D/E/Qs got a new through the Boom interphone system and that system was removed. The KC-135Q had two signal coils on the nozzle with the old system, they were replaced with the newer nozzle with the new Boom interphone system.