Dutchy
Topic Author

Crazy and bizarre military aviation stories

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:05 pm

History is full of crazy and bizarre aviation stories. This is the place to collect them 8-)

I came across this one: Phantom vs. Jaguar - Germany 1982

VERSUS

In the midst of the Falklands conflict in 1982, the RAF lost a Sepecat Jaguar to a missile strike - but it wasn't over the South Atlantic, rather it was over the skies of West Germany. Find out the full story of a rather embarrassing aerial "victory".

It did give the Phantom in question, XV422, a nice "kill" sign:

Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Crazy and bizarre military aviation stories

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:43 pm

A good friend of mine led of a flight of two F-xx that jumped a low level RAF Tornado over Germany. The Tornado pilot stalled the plane and decided the seats were the best solution because he wasn’t gonna recover it. His wingman had it all on video.

F-xx used to protect the guilty

RetiredWeasel

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:09 pm

An F-15 recovered to Elmendorf AFB with damage after his wingman launched an AIM-9 at him. As usual, several screwups resulted in the accidental firing. Google it. There are also a couple of other inadvertent AA missile launches resulting in damage or worse. Google is your friend.
http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=17910&sid=fad783d87305d3f6a96040b560e2771b&mode=view

flyingturtle

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:48 pm

My father was not in the flying department... rather the opposite. Antiaircraft defense.

One day, they had an exercise. With a radar-guided 35 mm A/A gun, they shot at the aluminum target towed by a prop plane. The gunners had to select the second radar return, else they would shoot at the plane.

Well, once, they didn't. The pilot radioed for an immediate ceasefire. But I do not know how badly the plane was damaged.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

GDB

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I remember that incident, the subsequent Court Martial, covered in both the mainstream and aviation press.
Bizarre timing considering what was going on elsewhere, wonder if the RAF got many jibes from the Fleet Air Arm about shooting down your own aircraft rather than like them, the enemy? (Albeit many of those Sea Harrier pilots were actually RAF on exchange).

Mark Felton's channel is full of often bizarre stories, many about military aviation as well as military history in general, if they about something you know about, likely you'll know more after seeing it on this channel. As well as something you might not have heard of at all.
Here's the latest, military aviation, I remember this one, (BAe even used it in their marketing in the mid 80's).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFW2cW0ZFJM

flipdewaf

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
A good friend of mine led of a flight of two F-xx that jumped a low level RAF Tornado over Germany. The Tornado pilot stalled the plane and decided the seats were the best solution because he wasn’t gonna recover it. His wingman had it all on video.

I never heard of this one before, I couldn’t see anything about it online, do you have a link to anything.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VSMUT

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am

flyingturtle wrote:
My father was not in the flying department... rather the opposite. Antiaircraft defense.

One day, they had an exercise. With a radar-guided 35 mm A/A gun, they shot at the aluminum target towed by a prop plane. The gunners had to select the second radar return, else they would shoot at the plane.

Well, once, they didn't. The pilot radioed for an immediate ceasefire. But I do not know how badly the plane was damaged.

A bit similar, a colleague who flew F-104s told that they once had a target towing aircraft come down with only 3 meters of cable left.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I never heard of this one before, I couldn’t see anything about it online, do you have a link to anything.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be on the web, occurred in 1990. But, I’ve heard it and independently verified.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:32 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Fred

It may not be on the web, occurred in 1990. But, I’ve heard it and independently verified.

I've got nothing for 1990.
However, I've got this suspiciously similar episode from May '91
Tornado GR.1 ZA376 (20 sqdn)
During a bounce manoeuvres with two other Tornados the pilot over banked while in the decent [sic] and control was lost. At 200 ft the pilot felt that he was regaining control but the navigator (Flt Lt Rob Woods) selected command ejection and exited both of them from the aircraft. The Tornado crashed near Lubberstedt, North Germany

Two Tornados? Maybe that's just the publicly edited version of events?
The pilot (Sqn. Ldr. Pablo Mason) is a larger than life "Biggles" character with a magnificent handlebar moustache (and I've seen it!), and had recently returned from Desert Storm where he had led 24 bombing missions and appeared frequently on BBC news reports.
Coincidentally the RAF sent 24 Tornado crews (i.e. 48 personnel) to the Gulf War, of which three crews ejected and were taken prisoner, and two more crews were killed in action. Losing five out of 24 is almost as bad as WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mason

And here is a picture of that amazing moustache in more recent times, after getting into hot water as a pilot with Thomas Cook
https://www.business-live.co.uk/news/lo ... ge-3949221
Nothing to see here; move along please.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:42 am

RCAF Hornet?

GF