Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Crazy and bizarre military aviation stories

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:05 pm

History is full of crazy and bizarre aviation stories. This is the place to collect them 8-)

I came across this one: Phantom vs. Jaguar - Germany 1982

VERSUS

In the midst of the Falklands conflict in 1982, the RAF lost a Sepecat Jaguar to a missile strike - but it wasn't over the South Atlantic, rather it was over the skies of West Germany. Find out the full story of a rather embarrassing aerial "victory".

It did give the Phantom in question, XV422, a nice "kill" sign:

Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Crazy and bizarre military aviation stories

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:43 pm

A good friend of mine led of a flight of two F-xx that jumped a low level RAF Tornado over Germany. The Tornado pilot stalled the plane and decided the seats were the best solution because he wasn’t gonna recover it. His wingman had it all on video.

F-xx used to protect the guilty

RetiredWeasel

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:09 pm

An F-15 recovered to Elmendorf AFB with damage after his wingman launched an AIM-9 at him. As usual, several screwups resulted in the accidental firing. Google it. There are also a couple of other inadvertent AA missile launches resulting in damage or worse. Google is your friend.
http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=17910&sid=fad783d87305d3f6a96040b560e2771b&mode=view

flyingturtle

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:48 pm

My father was not in the flying department... rather the opposite. Antiaircraft defense.

One day, they had an exercise. With a radar-guided 35 mm A/A gun, they shot at the aluminum target towed by a prop plane. The gunners had to select the second radar return, else they would shoot at the plane.

Well, once, they didn't. The pilot radioed for an immediate ceasefire. But I do not know how badly the plane was damaged.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

GDB

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I remember that incident, the subsequent Court Martial, covered in both the mainstream and aviation press.
Bizarre timing considering what was going on elsewhere, wonder if the RAF got many jibes from the Fleet Air Arm about shooting down your own aircraft rather than like them, the enemy? (Albeit many of those Sea Harrier pilots were actually RAF on exchange).

Mark Felton's channel is full of often bizarre stories, many about military aviation as well as military history in general, if they about something you know about, likely you'll know more after seeing it on this channel. As well as something you might not have heard of at all.
Here's the latest, military aviation, I remember this one, (BAe even used it in their marketing in the mid 80's).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFW2cW0ZFJM

flipdewaf

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
A good friend of mine led of a flight of two F-xx that jumped a low level RAF Tornado over Germany. The Tornado pilot stalled the plane and decided the seats were the best solution because he wasn’t gonna recover it. His wingman had it all on video.

I never heard of this one before, I couldn’t see anything about it online, do you have a link to anything.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VSMUT

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am

flyingturtle wrote:
My father was not in the flying department... rather the opposite. Antiaircraft defense.

One day, they had an exercise. With a radar-guided 35 mm A/A gun, they shot at the aluminum target towed by a prop plane. The gunners had to select the second radar return, else they would shoot at the plane.

Well, once, they didn't. The pilot radioed for an immediate ceasefire. But I do not know how badly the plane was damaged.

A bit similar, a colleague who flew F-104s told that they once had a target towing aircraft come down with only 3 meters of cable left.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I never heard of this one before, I couldn’t see anything about it online, do you have a link to anything.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be on the web, occurred in 1990. But, I’ve heard it and independently verified.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:32 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Fred

It may not be on the web, occurred in 1990. But, I’ve heard it and independently verified.

I've got nothing for 1990.
However, I've got this suspiciously similar episode from May '91
Tornado GR.1 ZA376 (20 sqdn)
During a bounce manoeuvres with two other Tornados the pilot over banked while in the decent [sic] and control was lost. At 200 ft the pilot felt that he was regaining control but the navigator (Flt Lt Rob Woods) selected command ejection and exited both of them from the aircraft. The Tornado crashed near Lubberstedt, North Germany

Two Tornados? Maybe that's just the publicly edited version of events?
The pilot (Sqn. Ldr. Pablo Mason) is a larger than life "Biggles" character with a magnificent handlebar moustache (and I've seen it!), and had recently returned from Desert Storm where he had led 24 bombing missions and appeared frequently on BBC news reports.
Coincidentally the RAF sent 24 Tornado crews (i.e. 48 personnel) to the Gulf War, of which three crews ejected and were taken prisoner, and two more crews were killed in action. Losing five out of 24 is almost as bad as WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mason

And here is a picture of that amazing moustache in more recent times, after getting into hot water as a pilot with Thomas Cook
https://www.business-live.co.uk/news/lo ... ge-3949221
Nothing to see here; move along please.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:42 am

RCAF Hornet?

GF

GDB

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Not heard of this one before;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HersvTbNdC0

rfields5421

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 pm

One morning in 1974, I was board and was looking through a file cabinet of old safety/ accident reports. There was a roll of 16mm film labeled C-121J, Atsugi, Wheels Up.

Put it on the projector - saw a C-121J carrying the TE designation - VW-1. That was the Navy weather squadron/ typhoon hunters for the Western Pacific based on Guam, which had been consolidated in 1971 into VQ-1 when USAF took over the typhoon hunter missing.

The film showed three passes over/ close to the camera which was close to the control tower. The main gear was down and locked. The nose gear was at 45 degrees. The next two passes the plane came in nose high and hit the runway HARD with the main gear. The nose gear gear did not move. On the C-121J/ Super Constellation - the nose gear is long and the cockpit high in the air. I was sure the landing was going to be a horrible mess if the nose gear would not retract.

The next pass shown on the film the plane came in low and slow with the main gear extended. The film camera was now tower high so the view was good..

The mains were set down in the Rwy 01 numbers, nose held high. A JMSDF fire truck was quickly on the runway following the plane. USN fire trucks followed as the plane crossed the next intersection. Soon a great number of ambulances were following the aircraft and on parallel ramps.

The pilots kept the nose high. As the plane got even with the tower, the nose lifted higher and the Connie triple tail contacted the runway. The plane rolled to near the end of the runway.

The final shot sequence was people rushing up and throwing ropes over the rear of the fuselage and tying them to heavy GSE gear. Some mattresses were placed and other ropes tightened. As the camera zoomed out, there was a large truck covered with mattresses driven nose first under the fuselage to hold the weight. It was about even with the leading edge of the wings.

From the back of the aircraft, the door was opened, and passengers were being helped out. It was obvious that the pax were dependent wives dressed in their finery headed for an overnight R&R shopping trip to Japan from Guam. The film ended.

A couple days later I talked to one of the squadron senior C-121 flight engineers. He told me that he was working on a VQ-1 Connie that day. Was called to the tower and they worked through all troubleshooting in the book for getting the nose gear to either extend or retract. Some proposed a tail-dragger landing. NATOPS was extremely pessimistic about survival chances in a landing of the Connie with the nose gear frozen into position. With the mains extended the fuselage would almost certainly break forward of the main wing spar when weight caused the nose gear to fail, or more likely tip to one side. A no main gear landing was also likely to fracture the fuselage if the nose gear did not break quickly.

There were something like 90 dependents on the aircraft, about 1/3 under age 12. The 'best chance' was to strap all the small kids in tight in the most forward seats. The adults stood as far forward in the main cabin as possible, a few feet in front of the main spar.

As the aircraft slowed to a point below 100 knots, the first group of twelve dependents walked to the very rear of the cabin. Then the next group. The more matronly ladies first. The Connie can be very delicate about balance on the ground in low fuel, empty load conditions. When the weight started to rotate the fuselage aft. The crew told the ladies to freeze. One military crew member moved back until contact was made with the ground. Then approx. 400 lbs of weight was moved aft.

There was absolutely ZERO braking applied. The aircraft neared the north overrun and stopped.

Two days later the JMSDF facility at Atsugi had the skin damage and the lower portions of the outside vertical stabilizers repaired. At the time I was in the squadron about ten years after the Gooney Bird Connie landing PR-00/ B/N 131654 was still flying.

Also the current version of NATOPS (1974) noted under procedures for a no-nose gear landing, that one successful emergency landing had been made in a C-121J by rotating the aircraft aft until the rear empennage contacted the runway. It was noted that the successful landing was attributed to a 'highly mobile cargo' that was able to carefully shift the COG aft in a dynamic activity.
Not all who wander are lost.

rfields5421

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:00 am

Another VQ-1 story. Late 60's. A-3 Skywarrior crew returns after a 90 day deployment on a carrier in the GOT. Almost daily ops.

Crew rest for a week.

Day #3 pilot is called near dawn. Squadron ops needs to flight test a bird with an engine change completed, and A-3 drivers are not available. Could the good LT please come in and do the short certification flight.

Shows, up, inspects the bird. Will just be a two man crew, pilot and nav, minimum fuel load. Ho, hum. Normal.

Out to the end of the runway. Brakes tight. Full power. Nav gently reminds pilot that he's not on a carrier today, plenty of runway, no need for full power before rolling. Pilot apologizes. Started the takeoff roll. Crossing the mid-field arresting gear near rotate speed the plane bounces, and touches the runway roughly with a lot of unusual noise and then takes off. Normally??? Tower is screaming in the pilot and nav's ears declaring an emergency for the aircraft and to circle the base until a decision is made.

They scan everything. Nothing looks bad. A little pull to starboard but nothing wrong.

Guesses???

The pilot had reached down and shifted the landing gear handle into the UP position just after releasing the brakes. When an A-3 comes off the carrier cat at MTOW over 77,000 lbs, He wants the gear to fold FAST, as soon as weight is off the solenoid switches.

After circling to near fuel exhaustion, the aircraft makes a successful wheels up landing.

Investigation file shows the aircraft scraped the runway for almost 150 ft with the gear partially or fully retracted before lifting into the air. the bird had to be returned by surface deck cargo to Alameda for repair and fuselage testing. Note also in the file that the pilot was credited in his official USN training file with one successful WHEELS UP takeoff, and a successful wheels up landing.
Not all who wander are lost.

Nomadd

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:13 am

About 20 years ago I got to call my dad and tell him that we had something in common. We'd both been bombed by the Luftwaffe. Him in France in 44 and me in 99 at Indian basin in New Mexico. Two German Tornados out of Holloman collided on a training flight, and one of them skimmed a ridgeline, hitting a comms panel I'd just built in a gas field. One of the crewmen hitched a ride with an oil field worker.
They didn't seem to be in a hurry to clean up the wreckage. It was still there two months later.

GDB

Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 am

Here's one new to me, S-2 Trackers, Dutch Navy, 1960's;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49773399

angad84

Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 pm

GDB wrote:

The Dutch carrier operated as an ASW vessel toward the end of its life, with S-2 Trackers and Wessex/SH-34 ASW helicopters (I forget whether the latter were Westland or Sikorsky)

DigitalSea

Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm

NE Iraq towards the end of 2012, had a tanker flying a standard refueling track, a glowing orange cigar shape object had passed within 500ft over their starboard wing and paced ahead of the aircraft before finally shooting up into the sky. Secure comms were unusable until it left the area, initially thought the Iranians shot a missile at it, SADO said it was a meteor shower, you be the expert.

GDB

Tue May 12, 2020 11:38 pm

angad84 wrote:
GDB wrote:

The Dutch carrier operated as an ASW vessel toward the end of its life, with S-2 Trackers and Wessex/SH-34 ASW helicopters (I forget whether the latter were Westland or Sikorsky)

Sikorsky.
The Wessex, being turbine engined from the start, came a bit later, early 60's with the RN and RAN in the ASW role.

Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 am

My father has been a helicopter pilot for the Italian Navy for 30 years and I still remember funny episodes during his long career (he ended up logging over 6,500 flying hours when he got retired in the 90s).

This is an episode I witnessed myself:
Mid 80s, a relative came to visit us and as usual she asked to visit the military airport and the helicopters (Sikorsky SH-3D and AB-212 at that time).

We went there all together and visited a SH-3D parked in the hangar.

Once she entered she spotted a kind of funnel with a pipe connected to it, just in front of the entrance door behind the captain’a seat.
Without asking, she took this funnel off its support and put her mouth on it while asking my father “is that a kind of a microphone?”
Then my father replied while laughing in tears “no dear, this is what we use during our 5 hour missions when we have to pee”

I will never forget her face!

angad84

Wed May 13, 2020 4:43 pm

GDB wrote:
Sikorsky.
The Wessex, being turbine engined from the start, came a bit later, early 60's with the RN and RAN in the ASW role.

thanks!
777 wrote:
Once she entered she spotted a kind of funnel with a pipe connected to it, just in front of the entrance door behind the captain’a seat.
Without asking, she took this funnel off its support and put her mouth on it while asking my father “is that a kind of a microphone?”
Then my father replied while laughing in tears “no dear, this is what we use during our 5 hour missions when we have to pee”

I will never forget her face!

Oh god, that is hilarious!

Nomadd

Wed May 13, 2020 10:42 pm

DigitalSea wrote:
NE Iraq towards the end of 2012, had a tanker flying a standard refueling track, a glowing orange cigar shape object had passed within 500ft over their starboard wing and paced ahead of the aircraft before finally shooting up into the sky. Secure comms were unusable until it left the area, initially thought the Iranians shot a missile at it, SADO said it was a meteor shower, you be the expert.

You need to stop talking about that. Two large, unpleasant men will be by later to explain why.

GDB

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Some maybe aware of this one, it seem not seem too military aviation orientated at first, however 'crazy' comes into the aviation story that emerges;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gXyaUjeAQ