User avatar
bikerthai
Topic Author
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

First UK P-8A delivery

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Just a note to commemorate the first P-8A delivery for the UK.


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-no ... d-50233941

An RAF crew will soon begin training in the use of the aircraft at Naval Air Station Jacksonville in Florida before it is flown to Lossiemouth next year.


The second frame will follow in two to three months while the 3rd and 4th frames will not be delivered for a while yet. The first two frames were shifted to earlier production slot through negotiation with the USN. That explains the large gap between the 2nd and 3rd frames.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
Ozair
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: First UK P-8A delivery

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:23 pm

bikerthai wrote:
Just a note to commemorate the first P-8A delivery for the UK.


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-no ... d-50233941

An RAF crew will soon begin training in the use of the aircraft at Naval Air Station Jacksonville in Florida before it is flown to Lossiemouth next year.


The second frame will follow in two to three months while the 3rd and 4th frames will not be delivered for a while yet. The first two frames were shifted to earlier production slot through negotiation with the USN. That explains the large gap between the 2nd and 3rd frames.

bt


The RAF has released the delivery schedule for the P-8. Interestingly the first few aircraft will operate out of Kinloss airfield while the runway at Lossiemouth is resurfaced.

UK lays out P-8 delivery schedule

The UK Ministry of Defence has revealed the delivery schedule for its P-8A MRA1 maritime patrol aircraft in a Freedom of Information Act release to Jane's on 5 December.

According to the schedule, the first four aircraft will be handed over to the Royal Air Force (RAF) at US Naval Air Station (NAS) Jacksonville in Florida, the main US Navy P-8 training and logistics base. The last five UK aircraft will be delivered from Boeing's Seattle assembly facility direct to RAF Lossiemouth.

Three UK P-8s will have to operate from a temporary base until runway repairs at their main operating base are complete in late 2020.

It had previously been announced that only the first two Poseidons would operate from the army-controlled Kinloss airfield in Moray while resurfacing work is carried out to reinforce the main runway at nearby RAF Lossiemouth.

The first UK P-8 was handed over to the RAF in October and is scheduled to fly to Kinloss in March or early April 2020. The second aircraft will fly to Kinloss at around the same time and the third aircraft will follow it to this airfield by the end of October.

It is hoped that runway resurfacing work at RAF Lossiemouth will have progressed enough for the fourth aircraft to be flown to the airbase, via NAS Jacksonville, by the end of 2020.

...

https://www.janes.com/article/93075/uk- ... y-schedule
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Topic Author
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: First UK P-8A delivery

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 pm

]Just breaking.

UK first P-8A arrived in Scotland.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... ng-muscle/
Flown by a crew from the RAF’s CXX Squadron, the first of nine P-8A's, ordered by the British in 2016 at a cost of £3 billion ($3.9 billion), arrived pretty much on cue at the Kinloss base that will be its temporary home until infrastructure and other work at its permanent base at Lossiemouth is completed later this year.


Airplane #2 should be following soon.


bt

PS: BBC site has better coverage:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-no ... d-51356381
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
Ozair
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: First UK P-8A delivery

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 pm

bikerthai wrote:
]Just breaking.

UK first P-8A arrived in Scotland.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... ng-muscle/
Flown by a crew from the RAF’s CXX Squadron, the first of nine P-8A's, ordered by the British in 2016 at a cost of £3 billion ($3.9 billion), arrived pretty much on cue at the Kinloss base that will be its temporary home until infrastructure and other work at its permanent base at Lossiemouth is completed later this year.


Airplane #2 should be following soon.


bt

PS: BBC site has better coverage:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-no ... d-51356381

Interesting, that is at least a month earlier than Janes had suggested in the article I posted in December. Hopefully that means the project is running on or even ahead of schedule, a rare sight these days...
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Topic Author
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: First UK P-8A delivery

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Ozair wrote:
Interesting, that is at least a month earlier than Janes had suggested in the article I posted in December.


Jane probably posted the contractual delivery dates. US Navy frames have been consistently been delivered about one month ahead of contractual dates. Exceptions would be year end shenanigans and when the US Gov want to make their displeasure known because of some other issues. :sly:

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: First UK P-8A delivery

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 pm

I wonder if the first action of the British P-8A will be maritime surveillance in the Fourth Cod War? The UK Martime Management Organisation is not only ramping up their surface forces in anticipation of invading EU trawlers post-Brexit but "is also considering whether to take on two extra surveillance aircraft to help cover the maritime area."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... shing-wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos