s.p.a.s.
Topic Author

Star Wars Canyon - Jedi transition

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Hello...

Planning a trip to SoCal and adjacent areas and would like to know if someone has information about the flight activities through the Star Wars Canyon. There was a crash there earlier this year and I am wondering if they are still using the area (assuming they stoped after the crash).

Also, seems that weekdays are better for trying it out, still so?

Many thanks in advance!
"ad astra per aspera"

canyonblue17

Re: Star Wars Canyon - Jedi transition

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:51 pm

I posted this topic a few months ago. Last I heard military flights at low level through the canyon had been restricted until at least the end of November as a result of the crash. They had also restricted the spotting location to near the parking lot only. A lot of photogs preferred to walk along the ridge away from the parking lot to get a better angle - I don't know if that is allowed anymore? In the past - there was rarely much activity on weekends.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

GlobalMoose

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Where is the spotting location (Lat/Long)? I'd like find it on a sectional and the actual MTR designation so I can fly it :-)
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.

canyonblue17

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:03 am

Google Map - Father Crowley Point - it will give you exact location of the spotting location.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

petera380

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm

GlobalMoose wrote:
Where is the spotting location (Lat/Long)? I'd like find it on a sectional and the actual MTR designation so I can fly it :-)

Try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3530621 ... a=!3m1!1e3

AirFrance77W

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
I posted this topic a few months ago. Last I heard military flights at low level through the canyon had been restricted until at least the end of November as a result of the crash. They had also restricted the spotting location to near the parking lot only. A lot of photogs preferred to walk along the ridge away from the parking lot to get a better angle - I don't know if that is allowed anymore? In the past - there was rarely much activity on weekends.

You can't drive up the ridge but you can walk it... it's national park land, they can't really prohibit you from going there.

Probably better luck just hanging out in the Panamint Valley. The aircraft are prohibited from flying within 500' feet of the roads but if you have 4WD and go off ways a bit, there's a good chance they'll see you and buzz you. Most of Panamint is BLM so you can kinda sorta drive anywhere you want but please respect the land. :)

s.p.a.s.
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks for the informative posts canyonblue17 and AF77W. I might try it later in December, but nothing confirmed yet.
"ad astra per aspera"

GlobalMoose

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks everyone - If you're interested, the routes are VR-1205 (spotting location between points Bravo and Charlie) and IR-236 (spotting location abeam point November).
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.