Flaps

Re: Iran arms embargo ends Oct 2020. Who will supply + what?

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:50 am

Iran doesn't really have to upgrade much of anything outside of defensive missiles and systems. They can't afford to mount any serious offensives outside of their existing proxies. No one is really looking to attack Iran either. Every strike against Iran or its allies has been in response to attacks initiated by Iran. All they need to do is to be able to mount a realistic defense and to be able to withstand what retaliation comes their way in response to their very limited offensive operations. The ball is in their court. Iran will push and push until they receive a punch in the mouth and then they back off until they think they have found a weaker opponent. Recent events indicate that they will remain in their box for some time before venturing out again. The Iranian governments main aim right now is staying in power. At this particular time they need to invest what resources they have in their domestic arena. I just don't see them going on a massive arms buying spree under current circumstances. For the cost of just a few fighter jets they can provide plentiful small arms and terrorist support to their proxies which is a much more productive use of their assets in support of their aims.

mham001

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
Iran uses the oil revenues to finance its state budget. So whether it pays dollars or barrels for any military equipment it will have to make (even more) cuts elsewhere.

Iran, because of sanctions, has more oil production than it can sell now. That excess could easily be bartered with no more effects on domestic services. Russia does indeed have plenty of its own but it is already currently buying ~70% of Venezuela's production since US sanctions were placed on that country's oil industry. They simply resell it and are thought to be making huge profits. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html

par13del

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Aesma wrote:
European banks are thinking of setting up a competitor to Visa and Mastercard for similar reasons.

Hopefully they don't stop there, if they do EU versions of Amazon and Google they can ensure that they are properly taxed versus all the confusion presently taking place.

My only issue is the Europeans allowing European "citizens" to use the banking systems to transfer fund to third countries then demand that they properly account for the funds....

GE9X

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:31 pm

SuperiorPilotMe wrote:
“So-and-so Iranian arms embargo ends next week. Because it’s physically impossible for Trump and Congress to extend or create a new one, when will Iran buy F-22s? It’s not like a country that’s building a fortified border is going to renew an arms embargo with a country it nearly declared war with. Also I just want to casually mention I was dropped on my head multiple times as a child.”

- every single OP on every single one of these damn threads.

If you're going to go with a sarcastic rant, maybe make sure your rant doesn't miss the mark so widely lol. This thread is not about United States sanctions on Iran, it is about the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, which currently precludes anyone worldwide from trading in arms with Iran. The U.S. can (has, and will) place all the sanctions in the world, but the United Nations embargo will almost certainly not be renewed given the abysmal state of U.S. relations with Russia and China. So once it expires, anyone willing to get on the U.S.'s bad side can sell weapons to Iran without running afoul of United Nations enforcement regimes. These sellers will still encounter obstacles from the U.S. sanctions, which are not going away anytime soon.

SuperiorPilotMe

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

GE9X wrote:

If you're going to go with a sarcastic rant, maybe make sure your rant doesn't miss the mark so widely lol. This thread is not about United States sanctions on Iran, it is about the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, which currently precludes anyone worldwide from trading in arms with Iran. The U.S. can (has, and will) place all the sanctions in the world, but the United Nations embargo will almost certainly not be renewed given the abysmal state of U.S. relations with Russia and China. So once it expires, anyone willing to get on the U.S.'s bad side can sell weapons to Iran without running afoul of United Nations enforcement regimes. These sellers will still encounter obstacles from the U.S. sanctions, which are not going away anytime soon.

Blah blah blah, yawn.

Doesn’t change how moronic these threads are. We have historical data on Iran during times with and without UN sanction and very little of the status quo changes.

I didn’t name myself “SuperiorPilotMe.” My smug sarcasm is earned and deserved. The objective truth is that I am superior, to you.
Stop the stupids!- Claus Kellerman

strfyr51

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 am

DigitalSea wrote:
art wrote:
Yeah - US thinks its law should apply to other coubtries but the law of other countries should not apply to the US! Now ain't that just crazy.

So Iran might buy some MiG's or Sukhois. Or Rafales.

It's probably because the world's international framework was built upon the victory of Liberty and Democracy after World War 2, the US leading the charge in that regard. Some people have been quick to forget that.

This is all under Preside t Trump. The next administration NOT under President Trump? May not even Care as it's hurting Business as Business is Done. This is all about some Temper Tantrum. But? Then Again? We'll See won't we?

SuperiorPilotMe

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Depending on who gets elected, easing of US sanctions **is** a realistic possibility. I even at least alluded to as much in my post calling this thread stupid (still is BTW).

That said, a relaxing of sanctions worked with Cuba, at least until “the current administration.” Sanctions **had** been relaxed with Itan under Obama as well with at least some observable progress, especially since both nations had a common geopolitical enemy at the time (and still do, ISIL/Daesh). If Trump’s ultimate opponent, whomever that ends ip being, wins, that can become a possibility again.
Stop the stupids!- Claus Kellerman