Aesma
Topic Author

Helicopter collision kills 13 French troops pursuing militants in Mali

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:21 am

A Tigre and Cougar collided at night while providing support for ground ops : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... roops-mali
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GDB

Re: Helicopter collision kills 13 French troops pursuing militants in Mali

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Awful news, RIP to the troops and aircrew.
Check any account, documentary, of these operations over the past few years and you see a very tough place to fly and fight. Some French forces calling it 'Planet Mars'.
Combat ops, even with modern helicopters at night being inherently hazardous too.

smithbs

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Terrible news. Condolences to the French forces.

This is a nice documentary on French activity in Mali. They are busy there, although news of it seems to not get around as much as it deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76fU5THN84

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:33 pm

France is trying to get help from other western countries, who are all benefiting from North Africa not becoming a new caliphate, but since we're already there, the incentive to come help versus the risk with public opinions means nothing happens.

And yes, the terrain and weather is not the best for men and machines.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GDB

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:58 am

Aesma wrote:
France is trying to get help from other western countries, who are all benefiting from North Africa not becoming a new caliphate, but since we're already there, the incentive to come help versus the risk with public opinions means nothing happens.

I know that German troops have been deployed and logistic support from them and others, the RAF have had three CH-47's based there for a couple of years.

Ozair

Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm

GDB wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I know that German troops have been deployed and logistic support from them and others, the RAF have had three CH-47's based there for a couple of years.

As well as massive logistics support from the US when Mali kicked off and enduring support with cargo movement, A2A refuelling and intelligence support. There was a reason France bought Reaper, they operated it with the US and then for themselves for years over Mali and continue to.

Reddevil556

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:50 am

I am quite sure AFRICOM has been involved with French operations I Mali for some time.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2

ssteve

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Reddevil556 wrote:
I am quite sure AFRICOM has been involved with French operations I Mali for some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongo_Tongo_ambush

The border immediately to the North is with Mali.

Reddevil556

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:43 am

ssteve wrote:
Reddevil556 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongo_Tongo_ambush

The border immediately to the North is with Mali.

I know a few guys in 3rd group, so my statement was more of a generalization than anything. I cannot speak of specifics of course.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2

ssteve

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:39 pm

It's supporting evidence-- not a correction. I just think it's important that we all remember these things, like you. My first reaction to the implication that no US forces are involved in this conflict was to google the Tongo Tongo incident. I knew it was Central Africa, at least, but the name and exact country, not so much. Helping to jog the memories of others.

Aesma
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:29 pm

GDB wrote:
Aesma wrote:

As far as I know only French soldiers are fighting. Others provide security, peacekeeping, logistics, or training (which isn't going well).

mxaxai

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Aesma wrote:
GDB wrote:

As far as I know only French soldiers are fighting. Others provide security, peacekeeping, logistics, or training (which isn't going well).

German troops are only there as part of UN MINUSMA and EUTM Mali, providing support in the way you described. Other EU nations too. There has been a recent push in German politics for an increase of troops in the area, including the permission to conduct joint military operations with French forces. Whether that actually happens is still open.
The operations also strain both troops and equipment; supplying spare parts is more difficult than at home and since the forces abroad get priority, this reduces the availability of mechanics and parts in Germany even further.