Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SamYeager2016

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2020

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:21 pm

SpaceX has certainly come a long way and achieved lots of firsts. However they next need to make a successful return and then keep making uneventful trips to and from ISS. That's the point when we can all start showering them with praise IMHO.

zanl188

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Tugger wrote:

For many decades failure was basically not allowed for "space" projects, and any rocket failure was seen as the worst defeat, especially if seen by the public! You absolutely could NOT have that. It needed to work and work perfectly or it wasn't good enough. Who cares about delaying the project another few months or even years, it just can't fail. Who cares if it costs impossible amounts of money to search for anything and everything that could fail, might fail, might be a problem, even the little item should be over engineered rather than possibly failing. Even for a one time use system. Test and retest, that is what is needed!

But now a new thing is being introduced, the idea to try something that might not work, might even blow up! And that idea that that can be more economical and faster, and a better path to success, that is kinda new again. I think that is what caught Boeing, but they missed how to do it and instead cut corners (no full, end to end, integrated test for example) thinking that was what the idea was. But it is not. Failing early and often is not cutting corners, it is know what you have now, where the corners actually are, then picking up the pieces and looking at the data and seeing where you were right and where you were off and what you need to address.

This may be the biggest most important thing SpaceX can do.

Tugg

Just keep in mind this is a game that can't be played where crewed missions are concerned. Not likely to be well tolerated with either commercial or national security payloads either. In the meantime Starship can explode to its hearts content.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

texl1649

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Here is a good explanation as to why they went with stainless steel for starship. I’ve long been perplexed by this.

http://youtu.be/6AcE7hBhpYU

And, as far as ‘learning from failures, here is an amusing one with Musk;

https://youtu.be/bvim4rsNHkQ

GDB

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:19 pm

[*]
SamYeager2016 wrote:
SpaceX has certainly come a long way and achieved lots of firsts. However they next need to make a successful return and then keep making uneventful trips to and from ISS. That's the point when we can all start showering them with praise IMHO.

This is true, however they do have DM-1 behind them, testing re-entry, as well as both the extensive Falcon 9 and earlier Dragon cargo flights experience to build on.
Compare to the previous new US spacecraft, STS-1 launched with no prior launch nor re-entry tests unmanned, in fact the only real tests (manned) were the ALT ones in 1977 being released from the 747.
The Shuttle also had no viable launch escape system and the one installed post Challenger likely would not have worked in saving the crew's lives.

And to think some at NASA were resistant to NASA's logos being on the Falcon / Dragon.

While it is early days I'd trust the SpaceX vehicles to be more reliable than STS when it comes to regular ISS trips.
As well as being way safer and a fraction of the costs.
Understanding that in spaceflight 'safer' is a relative term.

DarkKnight5

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:20 am

My my the Harrumph Brigade has arrived.

First to Sam Y: no matter what, they have already caused a paradigm shift in terms of cost of access to space. For that I will sing their praises. They’ve also shifted the paradigm in rocket reuse, and by that I mean they proved it was possible and efficient. For that I will sing their praises. The insinuation that we cannot praise them until they fully shift a third paradigm, ease of human Access to LEO, is silly.

To Zanl harrumphing about the need to prove safety before human flight and national security launches: duh, obviously you prove rockets are reasonably safe prior to those things. The purpose of these test to failure tests is to determine what reasonably safe even is. Welcome to Agile development. Just because it’s not how Boeing or Lockheed or ULA operates doesn’t mean it isn’t a worthy philosophy. Hence: Falcon 9 has more operational launches in the last decade then Atlas-V in the last forever, and they didn’t need Russian engines to do it.

Planeflyer

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:50 am

I was thinking along the same lines. You SpaceX’d me!

DarkKnight5

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:21 am

SpaceX twitter posted a jaw-dropping video of favoring deploy on the dark side of the earth. Too many details to list. Just watch and then push your jaw up.

http://www.teslarati.com/spacex-rare-view-starlink-rocket-fairing-deploy/

zanl188

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:32 am

DarkKnight5 wrote:

To Zanl harrumphing about the need to prove safety before human flight and national security launches: duh, obviously you prove rockets are reasonably safe prior to those things. The purpose of these test to failure tests is to determine what reasonably safe even is. Welcome to Agile development. Just because it’s not how Boeing or Lockheed or ULA operates doesn’t mean it isn’t a worthy philosophy. Hence: Falcon 9 has more operational launches in the last decade then Atlas-V in the last forever, and they didn’t need Russian engines to do it.

Harrumph Harrumph harrumph......

We were speaking of crew Dragon and the decision to go for a long term mission on DM-2. Falcon 9 wasn’t even in the discussion.

Testing a spacecraft to the point of failure with a crew aboard is a really bad idea. The odds of LOC/LOV are already what? 1 in 200? One fatality and it’s all over the news, “agile development” goes out the window, and we may well just lose CCP altogether.

It’s not the ‘50s where we lost a test pilot every other week and just rolled out another jet and pressed on. Every time we launch a crew Dragon the program is on the line.

So I’ll ask again, what’s the hurry?

DarkKnight5

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm

zanl188 wrote:
DarkKnight5 wrote:

Harrumph Harrumph harrumph......

We were speaking of crew Dragon and the decision to go for a long term mission on DM-2. Falcon 9 wasn’t even in the discussion.

Testing a spacecraft to the point of failure with a crew aboard is a really bad idea. The odds of LOC/LOV are already what? 1 in 200? One fatality and it’s all over the news, “agile development” goes out the window, and we may well just lose CCP altogether.

It’s not the ‘50s where we lost a test pilot every other week and just rolled out another jet and pressed on. Every time we launch a crew Dragon the program is on the line.

Keep going after that straw man. Not one person has ever argued a piece of equipment should be tested to failure with a person even in the vicinity, let alone on board. And the odds are better than 1:270, that’s a commercial crew requirement. And actually what you were responding to was Tugger describing either the Starship development happening now, or the early development of Falcon 9, meaning the days no person was anywhere near the rocket during testing. It frankly doesn’t matter which one he was talking about because the point is the same: nobody is saying put people needlessly at risk. Not one person has suggested it, and I don’t think any reasonable person would strap themselves into a rocket in 2020 if they weren’t reasonably assured of its odds of success. Agile development means you move quickly and learn quickly and improve quickly. It doesn’t mean you sit on top of a bomb and hope it doesn’t go off.

Stitch

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Not sure where the risk is for DM-2 at this point since the crew isn't even in the capsule anymore, but aboard the ISS for the "long term" portion of the mission.

Nomadd

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:44 pm

zanl188 wrote:
DarkKnight5 wrote:

It's 1 in 270, but that's not the odds. That's the odds they have to beat. Not that I have much faith in those calculations. Too many assumptions. (Wildass guesses)
Still better that the NJ turnpike at 5pm.
I'm still not sure why you think going slow is a benefit. All it would do at this point is to move more rides onto Soyuz, which has survived on pure luck several times.

DarkKnight5

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 am

Nomadd wrote:
zanl188 wrote:
DarkKnight5 wrote:

It's 1 in 270, but that's not the odds. That's the odds they have to beat. Not that I have much faith in those calculations. Too many assumptions. (Wildass guesses)
Still better that the NJ turnpike at 5pm.
I'm still not sure why you think going slow is a benefit. All it would do at this point is to move more rides onto Soyuz, which has survived on pure luck several times.

That’s why I said “better than”. Agreed though on the accuracy of forecasted odds of a thing happening. A SWAG is a SWAG even if you work on it really hard.

GDB

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:13 am

Another one away;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8riKQXChPGg

58 Starlinks plus 3 Skysats, 3rd successful landing of the 1st stage, fairings both re-used, awaiting news on their recovery this time, record pad turnaround for SLC 40.

DarkKnight5

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 pm

GDB wrote:
Another one away;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8riKQXChPGg

58 Starlinks plus 3 Skysats, 3rd successful landing of the 1st stage, fairings both re-used, awaiting news on their recovery this time, record pad turnaround for SLC 40.

Cool launch from the dark morning up into the sunshine and a beautiful morning landing. This of course proves the earth is flat. /s

DarkKnight5

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:11 pm

June 26Falcon 9 • Starlink 9/BlackSky Global 5 & 6
Launch time: 2018 GMT (4:18 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is expected to launch the tenth batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 9. Two Earth observation microsatellites for BlackSky Global, a Seattle-based company, will launch as rideshare payloads on this mission. Moved forward from June 24. Delayed from June 23 and June 25.

Link to quote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
Link to livestream:
http://youtu.be/KU6KogxG5BE

rfields5421

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Looks like the crew that went up in the SpaceX Crew Dragon will be coming back about Aug 2

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-aces-space-station-tests.html
Not all who wander are lost.

flyingturtle

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Here, you can play with the actual control interface of the Crew Dragon, and try to dock at the ISS.

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

GDB

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Looks like the crew that went up in the SpaceX Crew Dragon will be coming back about Aug 2

Interesting, that month the 2nd one is due to go up with 4 crew on board. Obviously with the 4 on board on the station tests going OK.

Nomadd

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:47 pm

GDB wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

Interesting, that month the 2nd one is due to go up with 4 crew on board. Obviously with the 4 on board on the station tests going OK.

The date the 1st one comes down is dependent on the date the 2nd one is ready to go. The 1st could stay until late September if the 2nd is delayed. A few things, like solar array degradation, that are questionable on the first one, will be closely monitored during the stay to make sure all is well.

DarkKnight5

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Nomadd wrote:
GDB wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:

The date the 1st one comes down is dependent on the date the 2nd one is ready to go. The 1st could stay until late September if the 2nd is delayed. A few things, like solar array degradation, that are questionable on the first one, will be closely monitored during the stay to make sure all is well.

And there are reports that it’s doing better than expected on orbit.
http://www.google.com/amp/s/futurism.com/nasa-spacex-crew-dragon-generating-more-power/

Okcflyer

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:48 am

Any word on cause or yesterday’s scrub?

Stitch

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:50 am

The company said its “team needed additional time for pre-launch checkouts, but Falcon 9 and the satellites are healthy.”

zanl188

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 pm

DarkKnight5 wrote:
And there are reports that it’s doing better than expected on orbit.
http://www.google.com/amp/s/futurism.com/nasa-spacex-crew-dragon-generating-more-power/

What?!? Things aren’t going as expected? Who would have guessed? :-)

At least it’s in a positive direction....

Hopefully the gamble pays off....

Okcflyer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 am

Stitch wrote:
The company said its “team needed additional time for pre-launch checkouts, but Falcon 9 and the satellites are healthy.”

What does that meet? A pre flight test wasn’t performed correctly and need redone? Some abnormally came up but still “healthy”?

Nomadd

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
Stitch wrote:

What does that meet? A pre flight test wasn’t performed correctly and need redone? Some abnormally came up but still “healthy”?

It means they're trying to launch 4 rockets a month and the one that has 59 satellites needing final checks is a little behind schedule. These guys haven't dominated the world launch market 10 years after the first F9 launch by taking it easy. They miss a lot of dates by a few days because they tend to be a little optimistic. But if you don't have the earliest possible NET, you won't be able to take advantage of everything going well.

Planeflyer

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm

What is SpaceX market share for launch services?

flyingturtle

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
What is SpaceX market share for launch services?

2017: 23% of all launches worldwide were Falcon 9 ones

Among commercial launches, SpaceX has a market share of 50 to 65%, depending on how recent the data are.

Planeflyer

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:12 am

Thanks, very helpful

casinterest

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

Where ever you go, there you are.

flyingturtle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Launch was successful. The sound effects are psychedelic. I should cut down on my LSD.

Edit: I had the video open on two browser tabs.

DarkKnight5

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:36 pm

T+1:21
Something weird is going on. There is fire creeping up the side of the rocket at the bottom of the landing leg. I can’t tell if it’s engine exhaust getting vacuumed up close to the base of the rocket or if there’s something burning on the side. It extinguishes itself at T+1:33. Since it goes out I assume it’s not captured/recirculated exhaust, but I have no idea really.

Any theories?

texl1649

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 am

DarkKnight5 wrote:
T+1:21
Something weird is going on. There is fire creeping up the side of the rocket at the bottom of the landing leg. I can’t tell if it’s engine exhaust getting vacuumed up close to the base of the rocket or if there’s something burning on the side. It extinguishes itself at T+1:33. Since it goes out I assume it’s not captured/recirculated exhaust, but I have no idea really.

Any theories?

It’s a normal phenomenon, on all rockets. Some gas escapes and burns/oxidizes moving up the side toward the shockwave/pressure area.

Planeflyer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 am

Does spacex replace the landing legs each time ?

Nomadd

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 am

Planeflyer wrote:
Does spacex replace the landing legs each time ?

No. Sometimes they replace the aluminum crush cores after hard landings. How much refurbishment they get is still a mystery to outsiders.

Planeflyer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks, credit to SpaceX for pulling this off.

Erebus

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

SN5 passes cryogenic proof testing.

Starship test campaign back on track after SN4 went boom last month damaging the pad.

SN5 will attempt the 150m hop if all goes well sometime down the road.

Another prototype, SN7 was tested to higher pressures recently to the point of failure. It used new welding techniques and a different steel alloy and article mentions that in the future, SpaceX will transition to its own proprietary alloy.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020/06/starship-sn5-test-campaign/

Tugger

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Erebus wrote:

Well that wasn't exciting at all! No failure, no collapse, no boom! What fun is that? :spin:

There is a bit of deformation though visible on the outer skin by the end though. I'm curious if that is an issue at all or not.

And otherwise, beyond my question/comment: Congratulations to the SpaceX team!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

rfields5421

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm

I will say this for SpaceX.

They aren't dull. Something almost always going on.

Getting information from the other companies is long, long stretches of silence, then some news that wasn't expected.
Not all who wander are lost.

Erebus

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Tugger wrote:
Erebus wrote:

Well that wasn't exciting at all! No failure, no collapse, no boom! What fun is that? :spin:

Starship development is where the most fun is at right now! :smile:

Falcon ops have become so routine that it isn't cause for a lot of excitement at the moment. But still plenty more to look ahead to.

FGITD

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
I will say this for SpaceX.

They aren't dull. Something almost always going on.

Getting information from the other companies is long, long stretches of silence, then some news that wasn't expected.

It’s interesting that we get to witness the ends of the spectrum during this little space race.

SpaceX who publicizes and to some degree, celebrates their failures as all being part of the process. They're loud, brash, and fun.

Blue Origin who says basically nothing but seem to be taking a very slow, but extremely steady path.

And Boeing, who eat money and congressional influence.

You got the bad boy, the nerd, and the old timer who thinks that's enough to warrant a seat at the table

Tugger

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 pm

FGITD wrote:
It’s interesting that we get to witness the ends of the spectrum during this little space race.

SpaceX who publicizes and to some degree, celebrates their failures as all being part of the process. They're loud, brash, and fun.

Blue Origin who says basically nothing but seem to be taking a very slow, but extremely steady path.

You got the bad boy, the nerd, and the old timer who thinks that's enough to warrant a seat at the table

Well one of the biggest problems... actually probably it is THE biggest problem, the old timer has is that it is a publicly traded company and the stock holders (including all the executive holding the stock as well) want their money and more money if they can get it! And they don't want and won't allow (would vote off the island) anyone who would dare think they can spend the company's own money on things that might blow up and fail etc.

That is NOT how US corporate governance works! No sir! Strip money out and give it "back" to the stock holders! Maybe buy back stock. Don't "invest in R&D" or "employee development and benefits". That would be bad. Bad corporation, bad corporate board for allowing such a thing.

(Remember boys and girls if you ever here someone say "We're going to improve/increase/focus on shareholder value" and similar claptrap, the company is about to be gutted financially or sell a key business entity to "create cash" or spin off a high pension cost sector or "optimize" its workforce (meaning less people dumped with the more workload with no additional compensation), etc. Why spend money on risky things or invest it in the company if you can give it to your stockholders!! /rant)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

DarkKnight5

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 am

Tugger wrote:
Erebus wrote:

There is a bit of deformation though visible on the outer skin by the end though. I'm curious if that is an issue at all or not.

And otherwise, beyond my question/comment: Congratulations to the SpaceX team!

Tugg

I haven’t looked at the up close shots from after the test, but I thought there were some deformations present on 5 prior to testing as well. A perfectly cylindrical soup can it was not.

DarkKnight5

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 am

Tugger wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Well one of the biggest problems... actually probably it is THE biggest problem, the old timer has is that it is a publicly traded company and the stock holders (including all the executive holding the stock as well) want their money and more money if they can get it! And they don't want and won't allow (would vote off the island) anyone who would dare think they can spend the company's own money on things that might blow up and fail etc.

That is NOT how US corporate governance works! No sir! Strip money out and give it "back" to the stock holders! Maybe buy back stock. Don't "invest in R&D" or "employee development and benefits". That would be bad. Bad corporation, bad corporate board for allowing such a thing.

(Remember boys and girls if you ever here someone say "We're going to improve/increase/focus on shareholder value" and similar claptrap, the company is about to be gutted financially or sell a key business entity to "create cash" or spin off a high pension cost sector or "optimize" its workforce (meaning less people dumped with the more workload with no additional compensation), etc. Why spend money on risky things or invest it in the company if you can give it to your stockholders!! /rant)

Tugg

I have mixed feelings, because the Board is supposed to serve the will of the shareholders. And if the Shareholders want cash out, fine. I personally only buy dividend stocks because the purpose is to make money, and paying a consistent and increasing dividend is a good indicator or profitability, but I also pay very close attention to corporate governance and philosophy.

Now you’re right that Boeing is the poster child for myopic profiteering and abandoning a culture of innovation in exchange for moolah. I hope they wallow in the bed they made until that board is wiped out and they start striving for excellence again rather than suckling off the teet of 1960s engineering for six decades.

You’re also totally right that at this point it’s pretty clear spacex is not concerned with short term profit at all. They’re constantly pouring money into R&D, with the hope it pays off long term. I think it’s also clear they’re vetting their investors as much the investors are vetting them.

Note to Elon: Hey Elon, I’m here for the long term. I want to pursue the vision, and I don’t care about returns for a long time. That said, I’m willing to put skin in the game and I have a nice little four-digit pile of money I’d like to help chase that dream.

Nomadd

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:47 pm

A record booster turn-around time, a landing that looks like it was within a foot of target and both fairing halves were caught after the South Korean Anasis-II launch. And Starship SN5 didn't blow up during testing today.
Looks like SpaceX is starting to hit it's stride.

GDB

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:39 am

Nomadd wrote:
A record booster turn-around time, a landing that looks like it was within a foot of target and both fairing halves were caught after the South Korean Anasis-II launch. And Starship SN5 didn't blow up during testing today.
Looks like SpaceX is starting to hit it's stride.

Absolutely, still great to watch. Same 1st stage that was used on DM-2 less than two months ago.

Francoflier

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 am

Nomadd wrote:
A record booster turn-around time, a landing that looks like it was within a foot of target and both fairing halves were caught after the South Korean Anasis-II launch.

Speaking of which, I wonder what's keeping the Starlink launch delayed.
They always tend to be for various reasons, but the latest one (L9) has been particularly bad. B1051 last flew in April, and this would be its 5th flight. It seems the delay is technical, and there is still no date for the launch. Could these boosters prove a bit trickier to reuse after a handful of flights than previously thought? Anyone knows why it keeps getting delayed?

Starlink launch 10 is supposed to be next (L10), using B1049, and that would be its sixth flight, a new record. That will be interesting to watch...

And Starship SN5 didn't blow up during testing today.

Lol.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Erebus

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Nomadd wrote:
And Starship SN5 didn't blow up during testing today.

Lol. Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!

flyingturtle

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Starship SN5 is doing a tank test now. No discombobulations yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnEUnweEF0

Nomadd

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Starship SN5 is doing a tank test now. No discombobulations yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnEUnweEF0

That was from my porch roof. I also supplied the Guinness.
The fate of the fins from MK1 was more entertaining today.

Francoflier

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 am

Does anyone know what they're going to do with those fins? I see they dragged them around all week and gave them a bath.

Fancy building awning?
They seem to have an amusingly irreverential way of recycling their used prototypes, like turning Starhopper into a radar/camera tower...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.