Planeflyer

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2020

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:29 am

Wow, gonna be some drama.

Thanks for all the info.

Francoflier

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 am

Starlink Launch 10 (V1.0 L10), went without a hitch.
B1051 performed its 5th succesful launch and landing and is making its way back to Florida now.
The pizza boxes are slowly getting to their orbits... Routine.

The only snag is that fairing recovery is still proving a little difficult. They couldn't catch them mid-air, hopefully they can at least fish them out.

The next Starlink launch will be a bit more interesting as it will be the first attempt at a 6th flight for a booster (B1049 which flew early June). Stay tuned.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Okcflyer

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:08 pm

How many times are the falcon 9’s intended to be reused? I recall reading 10 times?

GDB

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
How many times are the falcon 9’s intended to be reused? I recall reading 10 times?

The line seems to be 'up to 10 times without major refurbishment'.
Myself, I just think it's great that they are getting up to 5 re-uses so far, in spaceflight terms it's only very recently they started successfully landing them.

Francoflier

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:14 am

Early Starlink testing is promising, although it appears it won't be the panacea of the internet. Ping times and bandwidth are decent, but won't beat fiber or 5G anytime soon:

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/spac ... peed-tests

I suppose the targeted customers are those living far from urban centers, for whom this will be a revolution. There's more than enough of a business case there, methinks.
It's amazing to think that soon enough, high speed internet will be available anywhere on the planet.

Speaking of which, the next Starlink launch is (hopefully) tomorrow morning.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

mxaxai

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Early Starlink testing is promising, although it appears it won't be the panacea of the internet. Ping times and bandwidth are decent, but won't beat fiber or 5G anytime soon:

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/spac ... peed-tests

I suppose the targeted customers are those living far from urban centers, for whom this will be a revolution. There's more than enough of a business case there, methinks.
It's amazing to think that soon enough, high speed internet will be available anywhere on the planet.

Speaking of which, the next Starlink launch is (hopefully) tomorrow morning.

The question is how many users can simultaneously access this bandwidth. If "everybody" can get 40 Mbps whenever they access Starlink that's actually pretty good, certainly better than 4G. If SpaceX can additionally offer higher speeds (e. g. 200 Mbps or 1 Gbps) to selected commercial customers with high reliability that would make it even more attractive.

Remember that 5G has relatively short range and fiber is expensive. It would be pretty convenient, for example, to set up a 5G network next to highways and connect it to Starlink rather than fiber.

texl1649

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Okcflyer wrote:

We really don’t know yet; their maximum so far is a booster re-used only 3-4 times. It’s not a new rocket at this point but it’s also young for the ‘block 5’ upgraded components. Intent is to do a refurbishment after 10 launches, with a theoretical maximum of 10 refurbishments, but I don’t think it’s likely to make it past around 3, frankly. It’s a lot of stress to do it a hundred times, but I hope I’m wrong. Not sure many customers (or their insurers) would want to fork out $70 million for a launch on a rocket on it’s 80th launch or something like that.

LightningZ71

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:21 pm

5G for cellular is still going to be a niche item for a long time to come. The sheer number of 5G towers/ hot-spots that will need to exist to make it both pervasive and useful is just mind boggling. However, 5G does have other advantages for cellular carriers.

AT&T has all but stopped most of their last-mile fiber to the home installations across the US. Instead, they are pivoting to a neighborhood 5G hot-spot approach. They plan to put up 5G repeaters on light poles and utility poles every few blocks and, instead of going to the high expense of running fiber to each and every house, they are going to rent to customers 5G broadband access devices that consist of a 5G modem and an in home Wifi6 hotspot and an ethernet connection. With a cluster of modems on each pole, they can mitigate the loss of a single radio without having to dispatch a tech promptly. Therefore, they need only maintain their fiber backhaul to the modems from their neighborhood pedestals that already exist everywhere. This will allow them to deliver multi-gigabit service to whole neighborhoods quickly and efficiently. The only thing that it won't do is provide rural service. As long as starlink, or a competitor, can fill that role with enough subscribers to make it economically viable, then we've hit our goal. Another thing that Starlink can do, though, is provide service out in the middle of the ocean. Ships and rigs that are currently having to pay exorbitant rates for irridium and direct satellite data links could potentially move to what should be a much cheaper service that gives them a lot more capability. That is a non-trivial chunk of market there that will be eager to take advantage of what they have to offer.

flyingturtle

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:02 pm

texl1649 wrote:
Not sure many customers (or their insurers) would want to fork out $70 million for a launch on a rocket on it’s 80th launch or something like that.

I'm not so sure about your conclusion.

- SpaceX can observe how much the engines are degrading, and discard geriatric rokkits. They are not under any pressure to *actually* reuse a launcher 50 times.

- whether or not customers are willing to pay 70 million only depends the needs of these customers - and SpaceX' competitors. Launch price + insurance fees will probably be significantly lower than launching on a new-ish rocket.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Tugger

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:19 pm

SpaceX is introducing a wholly new product in to the market: Reliable, reuseable rocketry.

Airplanes were once upon a time homebuilt, limited use, in constant need of maintenance, and unable to do real useful work early on. Once that changed an entirely new paradigm was created and it changed the planet literally. This is honestly something similar, as rockets stop being single use and become reliable reusable craft, a new paradigm will be created.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

texl1649

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Again, I don't wish them ill will or claim they have a bad product, I'm just dubious it can work reliably for so many uses.

Certainly happy to be proven wrong (and hope I am), but it's a lot of stressful cycles on the basic frame/rocket and seems like if they do wind up having a failure or two past, for instance, 20-30 cycles, the notional 100 total uses will be quickly scaled back. They won't want to jeopardize their manned rating/missions (or Falcon heavy $$) for anything like a perception of safety for older rockets.

Anyway, I'm a big fan, and hope it all works wonderfully. Here's the Falcon user guide in case anyone wants some light reading;

https://www.spacex.com/media/Falcon_Use ... 082020.pdf

Francoflier

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Starlink launch V1.0L10 was nominal. B1049 is back on the barge after its successful 6th flight. Another milestone for SpaceX.
(The previous Starlink launch was V1.0L9, not L10 as I mistakenly wrote upthread)

flyingturtle wrote:
- whether or not customers are willing to pay 70 million only depends the needs of these customers - and SpaceX' competitors. Launch price + insurance fees will probably be significantly lower than launching on a new-ish rocket.

This is an interesting point. Launching with an increasingly older booster should get cheaper, but its chances of failure are also likely higher... at least one would expect until enough data is on hand. This means that insurance for the launch is also likely to be more expensive. As of now, since this is still uncharted territory, I am guessing that insurance premiums for boosters used more than a couple of times are probably so high that it would be cheaper to spring for a new or lightly used one. Either that or customers would have to bear the risk.

The good thing about SpaceX is that since they have hundreds of Starlink launches to perform, they get to open that envelope themselves without having to find risk-sharing partners. Once insurers have more data on those multiple reuses, they will allow coverage for mainstream customers.

mxaxai wrote:
The question is how many users can simultaneously access this bandwidth. If "everybody" can get 40 Mbps whenever they access Starlink that's actually pretty good, certainly better than 4G. If SpaceX can additionally offer higher speeds (e. g. 200 Mbps or 1 Gbps) to selected commercial customers with high reliability that would make it even more attractive.

Remember that 5G has relatively short range and fiber is expensive. It would be pretty convenient, for example, to set up a 5G network next to highways and connect it to Starlink rather than fiber.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's the reason they will be launching so many satellites. The sheer number of them is likely more to allow more bandwith to more customers than coverage alone. They will probably go for an incremental approach by artificially limiting the number of customers first, through pricing. As the fleet grows, they can lower prices and let in more users.
I think the days of Iridium, Inmarsat and the likes are counted, as their customers will probably be the first ones to jump ship to Starlink.

Ironically, SpaceX launched the latest generation Iridium satellites recently...

As for 5G and fiber, they might be expensive to deploy, but I would say it's still cheaper to lay cables and build towers than to launch satellites into space. Their footprint in densely populated area where they're profitable will probably not make space-based internet a better option for city-dwellers for a long time, if ever. That still leaves a lot of people however.

Nomadd

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm

Francoflier wrote:
B1051 performed its 5th succesful launch and landing and is making its way back to Florida now.

The only snag is that fairing recovery is still proving a little difficult. They couldn't catch them mid-air, hopefully they can at least fish them out.

The next Starlink launch will be a bit more interesting as it will be the first attempt at a 6th flight for a booster (B1049 which flew early June). Stay tuned.

That was V1.0 L9. It was launch 10 if you include the V.9 prototypes,
Today was V1.0 L10.

Nomadd

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Okcflyer wrote:

It changes. They use to hope for 10 launches without rehab and 100 between rebuilds, but they never really did get to the point of gas and go after a landing, so they're kind of winging it now. They're hoping Starship will put Falcons out of business eventually.
Starlink missions are good for testing older rockets they don't want to put a customer's payload on.
Hard to believe, but 60 Starlinks cost quite a bit less to build than a single geo comsat.

When I tell people how much Inmarsat bandwidth costs per Megabyte, they assume I meant to say Gigabyte. They'll be the first to go once shipborne Starlink is available.

mxaxai

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Nomadd wrote:
When I tell people how much Inmarsat bandwidth costs per Megabyte, they assume I meant to say Gigabyte. They'll be the first to go once shipborne Starlink is available.

The one benefit Inmarsat and Iridium still have is that they can be used with small devices. An Iridium phone is slightly larger than your typical smartphone but not much. Starlink ground terminals use phased array antennas which are hardly man-portable (pizza box sized). So for personal devices, especially SAR and governments, Iridium and Inmarsat will remain the preferred choice. The compact size also helps with IoT applications. I think there's space for both models.

Tugger

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 pm

I do love the paradigm shift that has already occurred: We accept as perfectly normal the landing and reuse of rockets (boosters at least).

I mean this is as huge as it gets and already, not even 5 years since the first Falcon booster landed safely, we think of it as normal and don't watch in amazement every time as we did the first year or two.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Planeflyer

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:30 pm

I gotta believe Starlink is going to appeal to high-end users who pay for low latency.

Francoflier

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Nomadd wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

That was V1.0 L9. It was launch 10 if you include the V.9 prototypes,
Today was V1.0 L10.

Thanks. I did eventually catch my error and corrected in my post above... But too late.

Tugger wrote:
I do love the paradigm shift that has already occurred: We accept as perfectly normal the landing and reuse of rockets (boosters at least).

I mean this is as huge as it gets and already, not even 5 years since the first Falcon booster landed safely, we think of it as normal and don't watch in amazement every time as we did the first year or two.

Tugg

There were barely any cheers today on the broadcast as it landed... Very different from the first few landings.
Still, returning the booster is only the
beginning of the trip towards full reusability. And the 'easy' bit at that.
Let's see if they manage to make starship work. Re-entry from full orbital speed is where it starts to get really interesting. Not to mention quick subsequent reuse.
But then that's the only way they can hope to get enough sats up there for next Starlink phases.

Erebus

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:09 am

Francoflier wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

This is an interesting point. Launching with an increasingly older booster should get cheaper, but its chances of failure are also likely higher... at least one would expect until enough data is on hand. This means that insurance for the launch is also likely to be more expensive. As of now, since this is still uncharted territory, I am guessing that insurance premiums for boosters used more than a couple of times are probably so high that it would be cheaper to spring for a new or lightly used one. Either that or customers would have to bear the risk.

The good thing about SpaceX is that since they have hundreds of Starlink launches to perform, they get to open that envelope themselves without having to find risk-sharing partners. Once insurers have more data on those multiple reuses, they will allow coverage for mainstream customers.

It's a good point. I think payloads of high value and importance will tend to be launched on newer boosters. Older boosters could be favoured for launches of lower value, less critical payloads.

Francoflier

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNiYvHM4Eo

SpaceX just released this cool video of a fairing being caught by Ms. Tree. I believe it's from yesterday's mission. Not sure if the other one was recovered as well.
Always nice to see a few million dollars not ending up in the ocean.

flyingturtle

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:34 am

Somehow I want SpaceX to be a company traded at the stock exchange - that would force Elon to reveal significant developments, like the milestones achieved in reusability.

On the other hand... I don't want locusts err... investors to decide SpaceX' fate.

ITMercure

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:55 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Somehow I want SpaceX to be a company traded at the stock exchange - that would force Elon to reveal significant developments, like the milestones achieved in reusability.

On the other hand... I don't want locusts err... investors to decide SpaceX' fate.

I'm fully with you regarding the 'locusts'. But why go public when your main investor (E.M.) can pour enough money in this business? And for us fans, there's just this large (and increasing) nerd cummunity that manages to give us all most of the information we need. And the information we don(t have from them, makes for the 'wow' factor when we finally discover what's next for Space-X.

Tugger

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:39 pm

ITMercure wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

I'm fully with you regarding the 'locusts'. But why go public when your main investor (E.M.) can pour enough money in this business? And for us fans, there's just this large (and increasing) nerd cummunity that manages to give us all most of the information we need. And the information we don(t have from them, makes for the 'wow' factor when we finally discover what's next for Space-X.

Well the reality is that at some point most founders and "main investors" want to pull cash out and that tends to means selling stock and going public. Not always of course so we'll see what happens. I don't really like many publicly traded companies for how they raid cash from operations to fund stockholders (I'm good with dividends etc, it's the other ways that needed cash is removed from real use for th company or to reward employees).

Tugg

FGITD

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:02 am

I think going public would lead to too many accountability problems for now. Something blows up (as we've seen with the various Starship tests so far) and it's not as simple as Musk getting an investigation/plan from the engineers, and putting it to work to see what happens this time. You just can't have that type of turnaround with outside investors money on the line.

For the type of work they're doing right now, this is the right set up. Hell, look at Blue Origin. Pretty much entirely funded by Jeff Bezos, extremely little to show for the investment and yet still chugging along. Though I do expect them to one day unexpectedly roll out a completed New Glenn. If they were public, no way investors would have been happy with the progress they've made.

Tugger

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Speaking of public vs private and valuations and constraints of one situation over the other:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/tech/spa ... index.html

Basically SpaceX is (est) worth $46 billion now, with analysts estimates of $50B-200B. Importantly there is no pressure for them to go public as there are more people wishing to invest than there are opportunities to do so. They could spin off Starlink someday which would allow investor that wanted to, to cash out. And finally SpaceX is not yet profitable, mainly due to high cost of development of new products and launch systems.

Tugg

Planeflyer

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Blue origin in only able to progress based on the value of Amazon shares.

Tugger

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Blue origin in only able to progress based on the value of Amazon shares.

Some people have bigger hobbies than others.... :bigthumbsup:

Tugg

Francoflier

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 am

The day SpaceX goes public is the day Starship dies, and along with it any aspiration to go to Mars or any of the Sci-Fi inspired projects Musk has in mind. Investors will focus on what makes money, i.e. Flacon 9 / Heavy and Starlink, and push to dump the rest.
This is the problem with our current ownership/investment system. It annihilates long term vision and focuses on immediate returns. Large scale science-based projects which are risky and take decades to materialize and become profitable are shunned.

Bezos will do the same as Musk and keep it private. Not enough people would be happy to invest in his vision of space as there is no clear way for them to profit out of it within their lifetimes, and if there was, it would mostly center around run of the mill commercial and government launches.

Back in Boca Chica, it seems SN6 is almost ready for a test fire... Things are going apace.

memphiX

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:58 pm

Francoflier wrote:
The day SpaceX goes public is the day Starship dies, and along with it any aspiration to go to Mars or any of the Sci-Fi inspired projects Musk has in mind. Investors will focus on what makes money, i.e. Flacon 9 / Heavy and Starlink, and push to dump the rest.
This is the problem with our current ownership/investment system. It annihilates long term vision and focuses on immediate returns. Large scale science-based projects which are risky and take decades to materialize and become profitable are shunned.

There is a solution for that: create a parent company and a business sister of SpaceX. Keep SpaceX the way it is and move Starlink and commercial space launches under the new company, use it to feed its hungry brother.
Imagine five years from now, anyone with $500 mil laying around and want to get their hands dirty with moon dust can just charter a ship to the Moon for a few days.

AirlineCritic

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:23 pm

The day you take it public, wall street will require charging separate luggage fee for astronauts's belongings. No more free ride for Mr. Dinosaur.

flyingturtle

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:44 pm

On August 28th, a Falcon 9 will do some curious maneuvers, hug Floridas coastline, and put SAOCOM 1B on a polar orbit.

Let's hope that Elon won't shoot another cow down there in Cuba. An article on the failed 1960 launch, which caused a rain of debris...

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and- ... cle/567614

flyingturtle

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:14 pm

The United Grain Silo Watchers of Texas are reporting some activity near Boca Chica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVA01awAEBY

Tugger

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:19 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
The United Grain Silo Watchers of Texas are reporting some activity near Boca Chica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVA01awAEBY

And it apparently vented. It could still happen later today.

Tugg

HaveBlue

Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
On August 28th, a Falcon 9 will do some curious maneuvers, hug Floridas coastline, and put SAOCOM 1B on a polar orbit.

Let's hope that Elon won't shoot another cow down there in Cuba. An article on the failed 1960 launch, which caused a rain of debris...

will it hug FL coast going north or south? I live 35 miles north of it on the coast, would love to see it go north.

flyingturtle

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:02 pm

HaveBlue wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

will it hug FL coast going north or south? I live 35 miles north of it on the coast, would love to see it go north.

South. It's better when the debris rains on Cuba... shush.

HaveBlue

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:44 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
HaveBlue wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

South. It's better when the debris rains on Cuba... shush.

lol okay ty.

Francoflier

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:32 am

SAOCOM 1B is off on its polar orbit and the booster made its way back home on its own. No Cuban cows were harmed in the process.

The launch hat trick didn't happen however. Starlink 11's launch and SN6's hop both got scrubbed yesterday... Rockets are whimsical are rarely punctual.

Nomadd

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:55 am

Francoflier wrote:
SAOCOM 1B is off on its polar orbit and the booster made its way back home on its own. No Cuban cows were harmed in the process.

The launch hat trick didn't happen however. Starlink 11's launch and SN6's hop both got scrubbed yesterday... Rockets are whimsical are rarely punctual.

Both were cancelled for weather. They seem to want sub 20mph wind for prototype Starships right now.

flyingturtle

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Elon Musk's Boring Company just did another event-less launch... :cry2:

Erebus

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:33 pm

If my block 5 numbers are correct, they've done a total of 39 launches using 11 F9s, 2 Heavy Cores, and 2 Heavy Sides.

Nomadd

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Two launches in six hours. Now it's Guinness time.
SN6 First Flight

https://youtu.be/0llbGEz7TJA

Tugger

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Nomadd wrote:
Two launches in six hours. Now it's Guinness time.
SN6 First Flight

https://youtu.be/0llbGEz7TJA

Awesome!

I found it interesting to learn the engine is mounted asymmetrically which is why the "silo" is leaning the whole time. The engine is mounted where it would be as part of the tri-rocket core of which is is part.

A couple more views of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcn2yQReDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB31yXJCo8

Tugg

Planeflyer

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:31 am

Do they have thrusters at the top of cylinder?

Or is all the angle control handled from the rocket engine?

However it is done it’s very cool. Congrats to all involved?

For those in the know, and I know I have asked this before but why can’t defense contracts be structured in a similar fashion to the SpaceX approach?

Erebus

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Do they have thrusters at the top of cylinder?

Or is all the angle control handled from the rocket engine?

However it is done it’s very cool. Congrats to all involved?

I think it is all controlled by gimbaled thrust.

Erebus

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:22 pm

SN6 hop footage from SpaceX. https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/13017 ... 47522?s=20

No engine fire seen this time.

Planeflyer

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for the link.

flyingturtle

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:53 am

Erebus wrote:
SN6 hop footage from SpaceX. https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/13017 ... 47522?s=20

This is great! I cannot wait for the first 20 km hop. I simply cannot.

In this video, you see a construction site - a mobile crane, and these five or six slanted, dark pillars. What are they building there? A site to worship the elusive god of antigravity and engine efficiency?

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:30 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Erebus wrote:

This is great! I cannot wait for the first 20 km hop. I simply cannot.

In this video, you see a construction site - a mobile crane, and these five or six slanted, dark pillars. What are they building there? A site to worship the elusive god of antigravity and engine efficiency?

Launch platform. People were wondering for days until Musk let them know.

Erebus

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:31 pm

flyingturtle wrote:

That weird looking structure is going to be the launch pad for the Super Heavy. Here's some speculative animation of what it may look like. https://youtu.be/wZS75iY6EZc?t=629

flyingturtle

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:00 pm

That's VERY interesting, Zaphod and Erebus! Thank you both!