Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

FGITD

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Saw earlier that NASA is having the boosters painted white with the red "worm" NASA logo.

I have no idea how to post pics on here so hopefully someone else will, but my goodness is it a beautiful sight. Can't wait to see it go

zanl188

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am

Starship SN3 fails cryogenic test.

Reminds me a bit of the Atlas when it lost pressurization.

Too bad we don’t know the circumstances of the test.

https://youtu.be/wFXQ5SRCy74
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Francoflier

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm starting to doubt they'll ever get it right, at this pace. At least not without a major rethink and redesign.

Uncharacteristically for SpaceX, the whole Starship program is starting to look like amateur hour at Boca Chica.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Erebus

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I'm starting to doubt they'll ever get it right, at this pace. At least not without a major rethink and redesign.

Uncharacteristically for SpaceX, the whole Starship program is starting to look like amateur hour at Boca Chica.

It is a very ambitious leap in rocket technology. Gonna take many tries to get a proper working version..

Tugger

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:35 pm

zanl188 wrote:

Wow.... That "crumple" was awesome, and bad. Watching it you could just image the sound *cccrunk*, then the delayed sounds comes over (too muffled to really hear well).

If at first you don't succeed, just give up.... wait, no, that's not right....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Nomadd

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:10 pm

Tugger wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

Wow.... That "crumple" was awesome, and bad. Watching it you could just image the sound *cccrunk*, then the delayed sounds comes over (too muffled to really hear well).

If at first you don't succeed, just give up.... wait, no, that's not right....

Tugg

It wasn't very loud. Nothing at all like the window cracking SN1 retiring.
It also wasn't the builders or designers fault. Another screwed up test procedure allowed low pressure in the bottom tank. That thing could have supported ten times as much weight if it had been pressurized right.

Tugger

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Nomadd wrote:
It also wasn't the builders or designers fault. Another screwed up test procedure allowed low pressure in the bottom tank. That thing could have supported ten times as much weight if it had been pressurized right.

Aw jeez, that's bad. Bad process control is worse than the failure itself (as Boeing knows all to well lately)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Francoflier

Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 am

Nomadd wrote:

Has that been confirmed or is still speculation at this stage (from Musk's tweet)? Maybe insider knowledge :wink2: ?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

FGITD

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Manned flight planned for May 27!

Tugger

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Link with more:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/scie ... ragon.html
Still no decision if they will be there for more than the originally planned two weeks.
For now, NASA states, “The specific duration of the mission is to be determined.”

Tugg

Nomadd

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 am

Tugger wrote:
Link with more:
Still no decision if they will be there for more than the originally planned two weeks.
For now, NASA states, “The specific duration of the mission is to be determined.”

Tugg

They'll definitely be there more than two weeks. Future capsules will be certified for 210 days, but this one is good for 110. They probably won't know the actual mission length even when they launch. It will depend on how quickly the next Dragon is ready. Fortunately, SpaceX got ahead of the game on their own dime, unlike some companies, and is almost an entire Dragon ahead of schedule.
Some people with knowledge will be surprised to see the other guys launch this year.

DarkKnight5

Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Nomadd wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Link with more:

Tugg

They'll definitely be there more than two weeks. Future capsules will be certified for 210 days, but this one is good for 110. They probably won't know the actual mission length even when they launch. It will depend on how quickly the next Dragon is ready. Fortunately, SpaceX got ahead of the game on their own dime, unlike some companies, and is almost an entire Dragon ahead of schedule.
Some people with knowledge will be surprised to see the other guys launch this year.

Anyone paying attention should doubt Boeing will be able to fly with humans this year.

Nomadd

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:14 pm

DarkKnight5 wrote:
Nomadd wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Link with more:
Tugg

Anyone paying attention should doubt Boeing will be able to fly with humans this year.

I meant to say "Launch manned this year". Not letting you edit or delete comments more than a few minutes old has always been one of my least favorite things about this site.

Tugger

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:13 pm

SpaceX has ascertained the cause of the Falcon 9 center engine failure during the March 18 Starlink launch:
Musk said the cause of the Merlin failure was a “[s]mall amount of isopropyl alcohol (cleaning fluid) [that] was trapped in a sensor dead leg & ignited in flight.” [...]
Based on Musk’s explanation, it sounds like some was accidentally trapped in the sensor housing for a pressure valve in the Merlin’s fluid systems, and then it caught fire when the engine was ignited. That likely wasn’t enough to damage the engine, but told the sensor that heat levels were exceeding acceptable limits and caused a shutdown.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/22/space ... elon-musk/

So a simple fix and obviously NASA is satisfied or the crew launch would not have been scheduled.

Tugg

Stitch

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:50 pm

And speaking of Starlink, today's launch was successful. The booster was also recovered successfully.

Francoflier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:23 am

The video shows some very brief shots of what appears to be the inside of a propellant tank when they cut out to different views.

I imagine these are engineering cameras, and not necessarily meant to be viewed by the public, which is why it was interesting to see a few glimpses of it (I suppose there's lots of sensitive engineering in there).

I managed to pause the video on a frame where you can see it. I think it's pretty cool.
Has anybody seen these before? Is this from the booster or the second stage?

I'll try and post the picture if I find out how I can...
Last edited by Francoflier on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francoflier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:38 am

Tugger

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 am

Francoflier wrote:
The video shows some very brief shots of what appears to be the inside of a propellant tank when they cut out to different views.

I imagine these are engineering cameras, and not necessarily meant to be viewed by the public, which is why it was interesting to see a few glimpses of it (I suppose there's lots of sensitive engineering in there).

I managed to pause the video on a frame where you can see it. I think it's pretty cool.
Has anybody seen these before? Is this from the booster or the second stage?

I'll try and post the picture if I find out how I can...

It's verry cool I think but it has been seen before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u656se4e34M

And before that there was this from the era of Saturn development:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-Oi9m2beA
and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJzT2bBGVfo

All very cool.

Tugg

Francoflier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 am

I did a bit of research after I posted and indeed stumbled onto some tank footage from early in the Falcon 9 program.

I wish they'd make it a more prominent feature of their launch broadcast, especially around MECO and re-ignition for re-entry and landing burns, though I don't know if it might still be a bit too sensitive to openly show to the public.

FGITD

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I did a bit of research after I posted and indeed stumbled onto some tank footage from early in the Falcon 9 program.

I wish they'd make it a more prominent feature of their launch broadcast, especially around MECO and re-ignition for re-entry and landing burns, though I don't know if it might still be a bit too sensitive to openly show to the public.

Can't help but wonder if putting on a better show plays a role. Getting a look at some of the internals is fascinating, but if you're a less informed or caring viewer do you really care to see that? They have to toe the line between the tech explanations and getting the "big rocket go boom" crowd to watch.

But could very well just be a little too secret for now.

AirlineCritic

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Wow, a very interesting picture! Thanks for posting.

Nomadd

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Tugger wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
I'm starting to think that achieving the targeted reusability levels for Block 5 (10 cycles) is going to be harder than Musk let us believe...

Hmmm... I don't see that with this particular failure. Musk has always said there would be many failures on the path to success (which really is a truism more than anything). This failure should lead to iterative improvements to other launch vehicles and the cycle continues from there. How many failed landings did we see before the first successful one?
Tugg

The failure was from an improper cleaning of a sensor line. Someone left some isopropyl alcohol where it shouldn't have been and the computer shut down the engine when it saw an off value. If the engine had been vital for the mission, there probably would have been a different set of rules for shutdown. It could have happened on a new booster just as easily.

Nomadd

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 am

Tugger wrote:
SpaceX has ascertained the cause of the Falcon 9 center engine failure during the March 18 Starlink launch:
Musk said the cause of the Merlin failure was a “[s]mall amount of isopropyl alcohol (cleaning fluid) [that] was trapped in a sensor dead leg & ignited in flight.” [...]
Based on Musk’s explanation, it sounds like some was accidentally trapped in the sensor housing for a pressure valve in the Merlin’s fluid systems, and then it caught fire when the engine was ignited. That likely wasn’t enough to damage the engine, but told the sensor that heat levels were exceeding acceptable limits and caused a shutdown.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/22/space ... elon-musk/

So a simple fix and obviously NASA is satisfied or the crew launch would not have been scheduled.

Tugg

Sorry Tug. I didn't see you already had that covered.
As always, the hard part of the fix will be figuring out how such a bonehead thing happened in the first place and fixing the process. Lots of people in forums like this have written procedures that were promptly ignored by people performing the task.
Knowing Elon, whoever screwed up had better have a solution worked out by the next flight. He'll tolerate mistakes, but not lack of responsibility.

AirlineCritic

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:26 am

I am amazed that they would be able to tell this kind of thing. Yes, they would see the sensor values. How do they know there was extra fluid and not something else?

Nomadd

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:45 pm

AirlineCritic wrote:
I am amazed that they would be able to tell this kind of thing. Yes, they would see the sensor values. How do they know there was extra fluid and not something else?

The alcohol actually ignited and sent a pressure spike to the sensor they couldn't account for any other way. They probably reproduced the event on the ground before they declared it the cause. Pressure data is pretty hi fidelity, and they can tell a lot by the size and duration of the spike. They can locate some events by using acoustical timing data from different sensors to triangulate the noise.

Planeflyer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 am

Rule # 1 cleaning flight hardware w solvents.

Wet the swab or wipe w as little solvent as it takes to clean. Do not apply solvent to the workpiece.

Planeflyer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Rule # 1 cleaning flight hardware w solvents.

Wet the swab or wipe w as little solvent as it takes to clean. Do not apply solvent to the workpiece.

DarkKnight5

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:20 am

Can anyone shed any light on a couple things I’ve been mulling over? Here they are:

1) how much solvent should I use, and is it possible to use too much when I’m cleaning flight hardware?
2) do I put the solvent on the swab or do I apply it directly to the work piece?

Francoflier

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:52 am

And in a shocking twist, a Starship prototype (SN4) has passed cryogenic testing without blowing up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5t-oEbBprc

Boring! :biggrin:

GDB

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:56 am

Francoflier wrote:
And in a shocking twist, a Starship prototype (SN4) has passed cryogenic testing without blowing up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5t-oEbBprc

Boring!

It's great you called it if ironically, ''boring'.
Since we've just passed the 50th anniversary of a spaceflight that the US public and press also deemed boring, right up until it wasn't!

Erebus

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Would anyone be able to tell me why these tests are performed in the dark of the night?

Francoflier

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Probably because they prefer using the light of day for preparations and the massive amount of construction that goes on around the site.
It's just quieter at night, and there's no workers around to risk bombing with stainless steel shrapnel.

I wonder if they also manage slightly slower heat transfer losses for the cryogenics at night.

Tugger

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:29 pm

I am betting two reasons for nighttime: One, prep starts during daytime, throughout the day, and then the test starts and runs into the night until over. Two, and likely a bigger issue: Cooler temperatures benefit the loading of the liquid components and testing.

Tugg

DarkKnight5

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Also could have something to do with closing the road and the beech to the public.

Nomadd

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Erebus wrote:
Would anyone be able to tell me why these tests are performed in the dark of the night?

To keep me up till 2AM.

Planeflyer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:23 pm

back to cleaning practices for flight hardware.

Use only as much solvent as is required to clean the surface., Validate cleaning by post testing the part vis laser particle testing and liquid chromatography. If more solvent is required don't flood the part but use multiple cleaning cycles.

if foam swabs are required I recommend Foamtec or Texwipe. brands. Other foam swabs have contamination. which, in the presence of solvent will transfer volatile and non-volatile residue to the part. Avoid cotton swabs. The best option is cleanroom grade microfiber swabs and wipers as the higher cost is offset by better first pass cleaning results. Foamtec's MiraWIPE and MiraSWABS are ideal, especially if optics are involved

In addition, microfiber fabric will minimize the transfer of excess solvent to the surface so it is especially valuable in cleaning blind spaces such as ss tubing used in the fuel system.

If solvent must be applied to the part instead of the wiper or swab, a post-cleaning bakeout in a vacuum oven is a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Nomadd

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:33 pm

The problem was from using alcohol in a dead end tube to a sensor without getting it all out. The tube came from a hot gas source that was enough to ignite the alcohol.

Planeflyer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Cleaning a recessed area that is then sealed calls for very careful sop compliance.

DarkKnight5

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 am

So I’m thinking that maybe I’m not using enough solvent. I find that if I drip some on there and wipe it up, everything seems fine. Anyone have a different perspective?

I’ve come across some tricky lenses, I find that eyeglass wipes work ok but the ones they make for flat screens like laptops and TVs work better. A little shot of windex prior to wiping helps too. If it can clean your windows after a winter of abuse it can clean your robot eye, plus you get that nice squeak when your run your finger over it to make sure it’s clean.

This part is pretty sensitive (supposedly) so instead of using generic brand cotton ear swabs I bought REAL Q-tips. Has anyone tried using those face-washing circle pads? I bet you could cover a lot of area with those. If I get desperate I have a box of Mr. Clean magic erasers as a fall back. Sure they shred a little on sharp edges but it’s fun to think of little pieces of my work floating in space.

After all that wiping the part still wasn’t clean so I dumped the dirt out of one of my garden buckets, filled it with dish soap and water and dunked the piece a few times. First dunk should nice and slow, then each dunk after that faster and faster like you’re using a washer board.

To dry it off I like to disconnect the shopvac from my router table, throw it in reverse and blast the drops out.

Slap the part on and let’s go flying.

Planeflyer

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm not clear if you are cleaning inside or outside a cleanroom. If outside and particle contamination is not a concern soap and water is a good cleaner for the lens.

if inside and especially in flight hardware or on optics that will be run through CVD or PVD vacuum processes soap must be fully removed. There are inline systems followed by bake ovens that can accomplish as well as benchtop versions.

Regarding the towels made for laptops and screens you referenced. These are microfiber I described above but will shed many particles in the cleanroom. MiraWIPE is a low particlulating microfiber cloth that is ideal for cleaning optics.

Nomadd

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
Cleaning a recessed area that is then sealed calls for very careful sop compliance.

Yeah, but I'm sure you've seen procedures written in such ludicrous detail there's pretty much no possible way to follow them exactly. People get use to disregarding nonsense in them, which leads to skipping parts that shouldn't have been skipped. Comes from writing procedures that you haven't vetted by actually performing them in time allotted. I've made a few enemies by deleting pages of garbage from PMs by somebody who measured value by how long it was.
I don't know what got skipped on this. Maybe improperly blowing the tube out with dry air. Or, the procedure was wrong.
In any case, whoever messed up needed to have a fix ready by the time the boss got wind. He's not too keen on blame throwing. Just fixing what needs to be fixed.
Responsibility and accountability means different things to different companies. SpaceX is one where it's suppose to mean something other than blame.

Planeflyer

Fri May 01, 2020 4:40 am

Nomadd, fully concur.

My first boss said it best, “there is what the procedure says, what people think it says and what happens on third shift.”

There has been lots work employing gage rr studies as part of any cleaning validation

mxaxai

Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Another crew dragon parachute test success yesterday: https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/03/s ... ew-launch/
It appears that the crewed launch on May 27th will go ahead as planned.

Tugger

Mon May 04, 2020 2:10 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Another crew dragon parachute test success yesterday: https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/05/03/s ... ew-launch/
It appears that the crewed launch on May 27th will go ahead as planned.

Yes, from what I have read that was the last hurdle to be cleared for NASA to give the OK.

NASA has laid out the timeline:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... astronauts

Tugg

GDB

Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Something great to look forward to in these dark times.
Shame crowds will not see it. Still hopefully NASA will allow Space X to carry on doing it's thing coverage wise.
They should, public support is vital not only for this but for Artemis.
Space X especially with Falcon Heavy have created a resurgence.

FGITD

Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 am

Hopefully they can get a little more substantial coverage from the major news networks than previously. It's nice to see launches covered, but I hate how they tend to just cut to the launch at t-10s and cut straight back once it's cleared the tower.

rfields5421

Tue May 05, 2020 2:45 am

Bet there is a crowd at Space View Park in Titusville.

Let's see. I can leave North Texas about the 17th, maybe I can take the RV and put it on the Parrish Park roadside on the causeway for that day. Getting there about 9 am should be about right. DW and I can be on the roof and properly socially distant.
Not all who wander are lost.

GDB

Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Bet there is a crowd at Space View Park in Titusville.

Let's see. I can leave North Texas about the 17th, maybe I can take the RV and put it on the Parrish Park roadside on the causeway for that day. Getting there about 9 am should be about right. DW and I can be on the roof and properly socially distant.

You have reminded me of that wonderful film 'Apollo 11', saw it at the cinema last year and have the DVD.
While there will not be anything like a million there this time, with all those VW vans so symbolic of the era, I can see how modern versions could work at a safe distance.

zanl188

Wed May 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Dm-2 extended. But for how long?

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-crew-d ... a-upgrade/

My opinion is DM-2 should be a 2 week mission. There’s value in a post flight examination of the spacecraft before flying the next mission. Short mission buys more time to make any needed fixes.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Tugger

Wed May 06, 2020 2:43 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Dm-2 extended. But for how long?

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-crew-d ... a-upgrade/

My opinion is DM-2 should be a 2 week mission. There’s value in a post flight examination of the spacecraft before flying the next mission. Short mission buys more time to make any needed fixes.

Wow, they are talking about up to 119 days up there. From the link:
Once the vehicle has completed its objectives successfully, it will be certified for a crewed flight. Currently, SpaceX is nearing completion on the next Dragon spacecraft, which will ferry four astronauts to the station for a long-duration mission. During the news briefings, SpaceX COO Gwynne Shotwell announced that the spacecraft for that mission is nearing completion and should arrive in Florida in the next couple of months.

Shireman said that the length of the Demo-2 mission was directly tied to that vehicle’s progress. “What we would like to do, from a station perspective, is to keep them on orbit as long as we can until that Crew-1 vehicle is just about ready to go, bring Demo-2 home, allow that certification work to be completed and launch Crew-1,” he said.

Steve Stich, NASA’s deputy manager of the commercial crew program, said that at minimum, the DM-2 crew would stay on orbit about a month. Their maximum stay would be no more than 119 days, due to the potential degradation of the Dragon spacecraft’s solar panels.

Tugg