brianK73
Topic Author

Boeing Exits From XS-1 Space Plane Project

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Not to be confused with X-37 Space Plane Project, Boeing is ending participation in the XS-1 Space Plane Project:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredkenned ... 69bc162e44

Boeing’s Exit From Space Plane Project Is A Lesson In Why We Need To Kill Zombies

Sometimes you just have to kill the zombie.

We learned Wednesday that Boeing has abruptly decided to end its participation in the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s Experimental Space Plane (XSP) program – an effort intended to build and fly a reusable rocket “ten times in ten days.” Admittedly, it’s a bit personal for me, since XSP comprised a significant portion of my space portfolio during my most recent stint at DARPA.

I was not familiar with this project, and was a bit surprised that Boeing had participated in a space plane project other than X-37.

DigitalSea

Re: Boeing Exits From XS-1 Space Plane Project

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm

brianK73 wrote:
Not to be confused with X-37 Space Plane Project, Boeing is ending participation in the XS-1 Space Plane Project:

I was not familiar with this project, and was a bit surprised that Boeing had participated in a space plane project other than X-37.

This was meant to be the follow on to the X-37, it's either going black or someone else is going to need to pick up the work (not sure how that'll play out).

Tugger

Re: Boeing Exits From XS-1 Space Plane Project

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

DigitalSea wrote:
brianK73 wrote:

This was meant to be the follow on to the X-37, it's either going black or someone else is going to need to pick up the work (not sure how that'll play out).

It's money. Basically the government wasn't willing to increase the funding enough for Boeing to continue pursuing it when all the potential commercial residual value disappeared.

It's always the money.

Of course the interesting question is what the military has found that is replacing this capability....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin