sonicruiser
Topic Author

Russian Military may have shot down US drones off the Syrian Coast

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Reports emerging of Russian forces engaging an aircraft approaching a Syrian airbase installation on Monday, shooting it down. Some sources are claiming a civilian aircraft may have been involved, although this is unverified.
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Re: Reports of aircraft shot down over eastern Mediterranean

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 pm

EDIT: The aircraft was actually a US drone. Mods move to military forum.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/ru ... ast-media/

johns624

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:21 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

Your own link said it "could have been" a US drone. You state it as fact. Your narrative is showing...

tu204

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 am

johns624 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Your own link said it "could have been" a US drone. You state it as fact. Your narrative is showing...

Couple days ago on the news radio here there was a statement from the Ministry of Defense that two UAV's coming in from the sea were shot down by a Pantsir AA unit at Khmeimim Airbase. Probably talking about the same thing here. No mention of it belonging to the U.S. though.

So if it was a U.S. drone and it was shot down by a Pantsir, it was probably violating Syrian airspace if you look at the range of the missiles.

On a related note, the stuff that gets shot down around Khmeimim these days ranges from shit you can buy on AliExpress, to something that looks like it was made in shop class by a 9th grader (and miraculously flies) and the occasional and rare UAV that me and you can't buy over the internet or manufacture in our garages, but the guys with beards somehow got their hands on :roll: .
Source: There's a cool little museum on the base with the above mentioned wrecks of stuff plus a collection of Jihad-mobiles, fire extinguisher/propane tank mortars and other interesting stuff you can make at home :rotfl:
You'll have to take my word on it, seen it with my own eyes last year, no photos since smartphones (and booze) are a big no-no on base.
Anyhow, the Pantsirs got pretty good at shooting down pretty much anything that tries to fly around there without permission, including the occasional drone from AliExpress armed with a GoPro that some local civilian sends up to get some good aerial shots of the beach and countryside :lol:
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov