kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9778
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Boeing offers India F-15X

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Here's an interesting article about a Boeing plan to offer the F-15X to India (in addition to the F-18 variant already being offered) for India's new fighter program.

https://www.flightglobal.com/singapore- ... 94.article

What's interesting about this is that India is already a customer for Russia's S400 missile system, on which it has spent €5b. This was, of course, the missile system which caused the cancellation of Turkey's F-35 deal (and may cause issues in Egypt too, which has expressed an interest in buying it).

A few questions arise:
- OK, this is for the F-15/F-18, not F-35s. Do the Americans not have the same concerns for these as for the F-35, or is it because the Americans are particularly sensitive about the F-35's "signature", being a new type? (Would the Trump administration allow the F-35 to India?)
- Or, is it different standards for different countries? The Trump administration simply doesn't want US companies locked out of a deal, simply because a country (particularly one which already a large, and relatively recent, buyer of US hardware).
- Any deal is, of course, subject to US government approval, but if it were to go ahead, how might Turkey respond? Are all US fighters now banned to them, or just F-35s?
 
Ozair
Posts: 4630
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Boeing offers India F-15X

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 pm

kaitak wrote:
Here's an interesting article about a Boeing plan to offer the F-15X to India (in addition to the F-18 variant already being offered) for India's new fighter program.

https://www.flightglobal.com/singapore- ... 94.article

What's interesting about this is that India is already a customer for Russia's S400 missile system, on which it has spent €5b. This was, of course, the missile system which caused the cancellation of Turkey's F-35 deal (and may cause issues in Egypt too, which has expressed an interest in buying it).

It is certainly a change for the competition if Boeing offers such a big aircraft given this current competition started with the intent for 110 single engine fighters.

kaitak wrote:
- OK, this is for the F-15/F-18, not F-35s. Do the Americans not have the same concerns for these as for the F-35, or is it because the Americans are particularly sensitive about the F-35's "signature", being a new type? (Would the Trump administration allow the F-35 to India?)

Relations would have to improve for India to be offered the F-35. Never say never but perhaps post 2030 is a more likely timeframe. The US can issue waivers for countries who acquire significant Russian military hardware against their sanctions policy if it is in the interest of the US to maintain relations. India likely fits that category.

kaitak wrote:
- Or, is it different standards for different countries? The Trump administration simply doesn't want US companies locked out of a deal, simply because a country (particularly one which already a large, and relatively recent, buyer of US hardware).

As above, the US can issue waivers. Given Boeing is already in the race with the SH and the F-15, even in the EX guise, is still a very old airframe I doubt there would be any issues selling it to India.
kaitak wrote:
- Any deal is, of course, subject to US government approval, but if it were to go ahead, how might Turkey respond? Are all US fighters now banned to them, or just F-35s?

Turkey could still acquire other US fighters if they wanted to, the reason they were removed is as an F-35 partner and member of NATO they shouldn’t be acquiring Russian weapons. As far as I know F-16 spares have continued to flow to Turkey post their removal from the F-35 program.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Boeing offers India F-15X

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Perhaps Boeing is getting a vibe from the Indian Air Force that they would prefer something not designed for the Navy?

Doesn't hurt to have all your bases covered.

Boeing need to drive the cost if the F-15 down to make it more palatable for foreign sale. India FA of the plane may do that.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
angad84
Posts: 2043
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Boeing offers India F-15X

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:46 am

bikerthai wrote:
Perhaps Boeing is getting a vibe from the Indian Air Force that they would prefer something not designed for the Navy?

Perceptive, and correct.

bikerthai wrote:
Boeing need to drive the cost if the F-15 down to make it more palatable for foreign sale. India FA of the plane may do that.

Indian FA will likely add to the cost, not drive it down. But it depends on who sets up and manages the production. If Boeing, there's a shot at doing it cheaper. If the Indian Gov, then forget about it. I was privy to the figures for one local mfr programme some years ago, and the costs of doing it in India vs home country were astronomical. Unsurprisingly, the programme was shelved.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3109
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Boeing offers India F-15X

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:54 pm

angad84 wrote:
and the costs of doing it in India vs home country were astronomical.


So far we have found that the extra cost of program management is offsetting the lower wage cost when working with India suppliers. Seems like as lower wage countries gain aerospace manufacturing experience, market price start to drive the cost up.

Personally feeling is that as India gain aerospace manufacturing experience it will be on par with China, but with less ITAR restriction. Thus making it the place to go. But it will be a while. Might take a generation.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos