Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24816
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:50 pm

The U.S. State Department has given the green light for Israel to buy eight KC-46 aerial refueling tankers at an estimated cost of $2.4 billion.

Israel has requested to buy up to eight KC-46s, 17 PW4062 engines for those aircraft, and a suite of communications gear, transponders, spare parts, support equipment and contractor support necessary to beddown and maintain the aircraft, according to the Defense Security Cooperation Agency news release.

U.S. State Department approves $2.4B sale of KC-46s to Israel
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/03 ... to-israel/

=

Amazingly it only took 7-years to get here. Israel first showed its interest in the KC-46 platform way back in 2013.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
426Shadow
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 pm

OK great for Boeing and all but why does Israel even need aerial refueling? They don't fly far enough outside of their borders to even warrant drop tanks on their airplanes.
We are all just fanboys, our opinions don't make or break businesses.
 
Reddevil556
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:29 am

426Shadow wrote:
OK great for Boeing and all but why does Israel even need aerial refueling? They don't fly far enough outside of their borders to even warrant drop tanks on their airplanes.


Station time, planes can stay airborne in contested airspace for longer periods of times. It’s not really a distance thing for Israel. They would only have to return to base for armaments.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3499
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:17 am

426Shadow wrote:
They don't fly far enough outside of their borders to even warrant drop tanks on their airplanes.


Ah but when they do, they will have to take a round about route. And they would need all the fuel because they will be carrying the massive ordinance to take out those underground centrifuges.

Some here may not remember that it was the Israelis that stopped Saddam nuclear ambition long before Gulf War I. I am sure the the Iranians have not forgotten.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3499
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:21 am

The Israelis were just waiting for the US to make the commitment and work out all the bugs. After all, it will be US aid that will pay for these aircrafts.

In a more subliminal line of thinking, this move tells me the Israelis believe the problems on KC-46 will be solved by the time they get their frames. Smart cookies are they.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
Ozair
Posts: 5367
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 am

Reddevil556 wrote:
426Shadow wrote:
OK great for Boeing and all but why does Israel even need aerial refueling? They don't fly far enough outside of their borders to even warrant drop tanks on their airplanes.


Station time, planes can stay airborne in contested airspace for longer periods of times. It’s not really a distance thing for Israel. They would only have to return to base for armaments.

I expect they are also considering the payload range of striking Iran should that be necessary. A small tanker fleet that tops off the fighters after take off should significantly improve the range of the respective fighter aircraft.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:26 am

bikerthai wrote:
The Israelis were just waiting for the US to make the commitment and work out all the bugs. After all, it will be US aid that will pay for these aircrafts.

In a more subliminal line of thinking, this move tells me the Israelis believe the problems on KC-46 will be solved by the time they get their frames. Smart cookies are they.

bt

Or, the Israeli's being Israeli's, they will implement their own solutions themselves. There's always some level of Israeli tinkering with whatever they purchased.
 
CX747
Posts: 6288
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Congratulations to Israel and Boeing.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
trex8
Posts: 5597
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 am

bikerthai wrote:
Some here may not remember that it was the Israelis that stopped Saddam nuclear ambition long before Gulf War I. I am sure the the Iranians have not forgotten.

bt

They haven't which is why unlike the Iraqis (and Syrians) they have distributed their nuke facilities all over the country and buried some under mountains. Unfortunately that is why trying to "take out the Iranian nuclear capability" is nigh on impossible except to put a speed bump in their way.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 am

bikerthai wrote:
The Israelis were just waiting for the US to make the commitment and work out all the bugs. After all, it will be US aid that will pay for these aircrafts.

In a more subliminal line of thinking, this move tells me the Israelis believe the problems on KC-46 will be solved by the time they get their frames. Smart cookies are they.

bt

It says to me? The Isrealies might engineer the fix for the visual system and pass the fix on to Boeing!! and? the KC46 might become more than just a tanker with Isreal..
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 3499
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:57 am

The KC-46 was the only option for the Israelis as Boeing would not give them permission to do a converted 767 tanker.

Kind of a chump move but it's probably better for the Israelis in the long run.

The Israelis probably can work out their own vision system, but not with the US aide money, and they surely will not spend their own money for it. They have more pressing need and would not get the benefit of production quantity to offset the cost.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
giblets
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm

Interesting, especially as Bedek made their own version which sold to the Colombian and Brazilian air force.
The military aid from the US specifies that 3/4 needs to be spent on US made products, which might explain the KC46 purchase vs the Bedek product.
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11982
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 pm

giblets wrote:
Interesting, especially as Bedek made their own version which sold to the Colombian and Brazilian air force.
The military aid from the US specifies that 3/4 needs to be spent on US made products, which might explain the KC46 purchase vs the Bedek product.


I think this is a given. US giving money to spend it with Boeing and call it a foreign sale :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 am

bikerthai wrote:
The KC-46 was the only option for the Israelis as Boeing would not give them permission to do a converted 767 tanker.

Kind of a chump move but it's probably better for the Israelis in the long run.

The Israelis probably can work out their own vision system, but not with the US aide money, and they surely will not spend their own money for it. They have more pressing need and would not get the benefit of production quantity to offset the cost.

bt

The Israeli's have a habit of jamming every foreign aircraft they purchase full of their own domestic equipment. Witness their fleet of C-130J-30's; the Israeli's had them stuffed full of domestic Israeli avionics before and after delivery, some of which the capabilities haven't been specified.
 
User avatar
kc135topboom
Posts: 11194
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 am

Re: US Govt approves sale of KC-46 to Israel

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 pm

This is a good move by Israel. Thier KC-707s are getting very worn out. Remember it was just about 10-12 years ago Israel finally changed out the original JT-3C engines for the JT-3D engines. The JT-3Cs only came from Boeing on the early build B-707s.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos