Ozair
Topic Author

Favourite World War Two Fighter

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:00 am

Things are a little slow in current military aviation so I thought it might be worth having a topic or two that covered World War Two aircraft.

So to start off, what is your favourite (not necessarily best) World War Two Fighter and why? For me, it is a very difficult choice, the top 5 probably ranks along the following,

P-51 – The impact the aircraft has to the air war over Germany in the first six months of 1944 puts this above all others for me noting I am strongly influenced by an autobiography I read a long time ago of a USAAF fighter pilot flying the aircraft in combat.

Hawker Hurricane – Much has been written about the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain but the often overlooked Hurricane was present in far greater numbers and the real bomber destroyer of the battle. It could turn tighter than a Bf109 and was a steady platform without the Spitfire glamour.

ME262 – First operational jet fighter and such a sleek and clean design. So many what ifs…

Reggiane Re.2005 – The Serie 5 Italian fighters are beautiful machines to look at and I expect were very nice to fly although didn’t have a great impact on the overall Italian war effort. The Re 2005 to me was the best looking and probably most capable of the three.

Grumman F-6F Hellcat – Just a beast of an aircraft that was rugged, easy to maintain and reportedly easy to fly. It was the most successful naval fighter of the war.

Finally as an all-rounder, if you could only have one fighter aircraft from World War Two in your Air Force which would it be?

For me it is a toss-up between the P-51 and the P-47. The P-51 has the grace, speed and range while the P-47 has the power and ruggedness.

Max Q

Re: Favourite World War Two Fighter

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 am

Has to be the P38

Unique configuration, powerful, fast and an extra engine to get you home

Having said that, it had significant losses due to loss of control in high speed dives until Lockheed developed an automatic speed brake system and it wasn’t the best dog fighter, more of a high speed pass attack machine

P51 was great but vulnerable with its liquid cooled engine,

P47 was one of the best to fight with with its rugged design allowing the pilot a better chance to get home as was the Navy’s Hellcat I agree
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

LyleLanley

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:30 am

The Corsair.

Faster than a P-51, with a higher rate-of-climb, dive speed, and far better at taking hits due to radial vs. in-line. Could outturn most of them and had better stall-warning characteristics than the Mustang (shudder vs. nothing). Hauled an incredible load (>6K) whilst hauling the mail, but could also be a 'precision bomber' with the gear and flaps down dropping napalm in caves. Then there's that whole "land on a carrier" thing that none of the others could do, F6F excluded, of course. There's certainly nothing wrong with my imaginary air force flying off a boat every now and again.

There's a reason it was still in production into the early 50s and still in frontline USN/USMC service into Korea.

Ozair
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:01 am

LyleLanley wrote:
The Corsair.

Faster than a P-51, with a higher rate-of-climb, dive speed, and far better at taking hits due to radial vs. in-line. Could outturn most of them and had better stall-warning characteristics than the Mustang (shudder vs. nothing). Hauled an incredible load (>6K) whilst hauling the mail, but could also be a 'precision bomber' with the gear and flaps down dropping napalm in caves. Then there's that whole "land on a carrier" thing that none of the others could do, F6F excluded, of course. There's certainly nothing wrong with my imaginary air force flying off a boat every now and again.

There's a reason it was still in production into the early 50s and still in frontline USN/USMC service into Korea.

Agree it was a great aircraft although had its early issues. I recently read the following, https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Pilot-gr ... B01MQGD6AF which was excellent and he was very praiseworthy of the aircraft. The British also perfected the landing of the Corsair onto Carriers with the medium left hand turn which the USMC and USN later adopted.

For all its worth and capability though I have always found the wings looked just a little too odd for me and the main reason it doesn’t make my top 5.

Max Q wrote:
Has to be the P38

Unique configuration, powerful, fast and an extra engine to get you home

Having said that, it had significant losses due to loss of control in high speed dives until Lockheed developed an automatic speed brake system and it wasn’t the best dog fighter, more of a high speed pass attack machine

If I was going to choose a twin engine aircraft I think I would go for the Mosquito over the Lightning but perhaps that because I know more about it.

LyleLanley

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 am

Ozair wrote:
For all its worth and capability though I have always found the wings looked just a little too odd for me and the main reason it doesn’t make my top 5.

How dare you besmirch the lovely Corsair's wings when your #3 looks like a 737-200 with more leg room???!!! Shame, Ozair, shame!

But seriously, you have a fair point and it's not the first time I've heard people knock the Corsair's wing. I actually love them, both the planform and the gull. I think the gull is probably the most elegant piece of 1940s aeronautical engineering ever designed, and was perfect for the primitive mx conditions in the islands of the Pacific. I even like that the Corsair was a tougher nut for pilots to crack than the F6F. Working for it can be a good thing.

Thanks for the book recommendation, too; it's arriving on Wednesday!

JayinKitsap

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:30 am

Hawker Hurricane for me, it was like 3/4 of the British fighters at the time of the Battle of London. The Spitfire was better, but the Hurricane could take incredible abuse and get the pilot home. But the P-38 and P-51 were both great in my book.

Back in elementary school I think I read every book on WW2 in the Boulder Library. No interest at all in WW1 nor Korea.

Max Q

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 am

LyleLanley wrote:
The Corsair.

On several documentaries I noticed Corsairs dropping napalm and other bombs with the gear down, didn’t notice if they had any flap extended, always was mystified by this configuration, especially the gear

Do you know why this was done ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

LyleLanley

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
On several documentaries I noticed Corsairs dropping napalm and other bombs with the gear down, didn’t notice if they had any flap extended, always was mystified by this configuration, especially the gear

Do you know why this was done ?

I haven’t read anything definitive, but my guess is to make the Corsair a slower, more accurate platform to drop napalm. Many, if not all of the pics with everything hanging were taken on Peleliu with its very rugged geography, such as Umurbrogol. Another guess is the airfield on Peleliu was less than a mile away from some of the heaviest fighting, so dudes would take off for a 0.1 hour combat sortie; they might have left the gear pinned or otherwise down because of the short duration.

texl1649

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:25 pm

F4U, Spitfire, FW190, Mustang, P-38, really tough to choose one. P-47 I wouldn’t go with as it surely wasn’t the prettiest.

smithbs

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Having personally seen the Spitfire flying a demonstration, I would have to say that nothing looks better. It's absolutely beautiful in the air.

I'll throw in a surprise contender - P-40 Warhawk. It was numerous and important in the early half of the war, but is often under-appreciated. I gained an appreciation for it while watching one fly a demonstration several years ago. I had thought of the P-40 as stodgy and not exciting, but I had to retract those thoughts when I saw it fly. It was powerful and agile, and some research afterwards showed that it was a perfectly capable and important machine. Walking around the P-40 after it flew, I could see it was definitely an early war design, but the USA had the luxury of sunsetting its early war designs as the war reached its latter stages.

Another one I respect is the Bf 109 - mostly for the wing design. Last year I found myself researching inter-war German aircraft designs and found lots of interesting features. I then built a model of the Bf 109 and the biggest surprise to me was the wing design. German design in the 1930s could make a pretty good wing, better than Fokker in my opinion (Fokker didn't really keep up with the times from their 1920s designs, I think, and German design accelerated past them). The Bf 109 had plenty of vices, though, some rather vicious. The Germans didn't have the luxury of sunsetting it later in the war, forcing its usage to the end.

Reddevil556

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm

Favorite: P51D, love the roar of the Merlin engine.
Other favorites: Hawker Sea Fury, P61 Blackwidow, FW190, F7 Tigercat.

Love the P38 and P47 too, the highest scoring US ace flew the P38.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2

rfields5421

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:05 pm

P-38 is/was the coolest.
Not all who wander are lost.

744SPX

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Initial production (short tail) version of the P-51H (much better lines than the P-51D IMHO, and 50 mph faster)

De Havilland Hornet

F7F Tigercat

Horten HO 229 and XP-47J (If counting fighters that didn't make it past prototype stage)
Last edited by 744SPX on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keesje

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Technically I think the FW190 was one of the best fighters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=america ... KV6iCfl6DM

Also the eliptical wing and Merlin sound of the Spit are great IMO.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/18227
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Ozair
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
Ozair wrote:

How dare you besmirch the lovely Corsair's wings when your #3 looks like a 737-200 with more leg room???!!! Shame, Ozair, shame!

But seriously, you have a fair point and it's not the first time I've heard people knock the Corsair's wing. I actually love them, both the planform and the gull. I think the gull is probably the most elegant piece of 1940s aeronautical engineering ever designed, and was perfect for the primitive mx conditions in the islands of the Pacific. I even like that the Corsair was a tougher nut for pilots to crack than the F6F. Working for it can be a good thing.

See now that is the weird thing, I love the look of the Ju-87… I made a model of one as a kid and have loved the look ever since, no rational logic behind this though…

Now you have pointed it out I do see the 737 and Me262 resemblance, I will never look at the jet the same again.

smithbs wrote:
Having personally seen the Spitfire flying a demonstration, I would have to say that nothing looks better. It's absolutely beautiful in the air.

Agree, I went to Duxford a couple of years back where they had a mass Spitfire flight, close to 20 I believe, and it was both visually and aurally stunning.

smithbs wrote:
I'll throw in a surprise contender - P-40 Warhawk. It was numerous and important in the early half of the war, but is often under-appreciated. I gained an appreciation for it while watching one fly a demonstration several years ago. I had thought of the P-40 as stodgy and not exciting, but I had to retract those thoughts when I saw it fly. It was powerful and agile, and some research afterwards showed that it was a perfectly capable and important machine. Walking around the P-40 after it flew, I could see it was definitely an early war design, but the USA had the luxury of sunsetting its early war designs as the war reached its latter stages.

A great choice. A workhorse and very unsung hero. I think about the Battle of Milne Bay where RAAF Kittyhawks were often engaging Japanese troops before the undercarriage had completely withdrawn. P-40s flew all through the war pretty much in every theatre.

smithbs wrote:
The Bf 109 had plenty of vices, though, some rather vicious. The Germans didn't have the luxury of sunsetting it later in the war, forcing its usage to the end.

I read an account of the Israeli Air Force during the war of 48. Apparently when a scramble was called the fighter crews would run to the aircraft trying to get the best one they could. If they didn’t get the Sptifires or P-51s they had to settle for the S-199s (Czech built 109s).

rfields5421

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Ozair wrote:
See now that is the weird thing, I love the look of the Ju-87… I made a model of one as a kid and have loved the look ever since, no rational logic behind this though….

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

First time I got to fly on a C-121J in 1972 (Lockheed Super Constellation) I thought it was the most beautiful 'big' airplane I had ever seen. Still do.

But I got to see a P-38 fly during an airshow at Barksdale AFB about 1962 or 63. That's my love.
Not all who wander are lost.

smithbs

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Ozair wrote:
See now that is the weird thing, I love the look of the Ju-87… I made a model of one as a kid and have loved the look ever since, no rational logic behind this though…

The Ju-87 was definitely a late 1920s and early 1930s design, based on the struts, ailerons and other components. Nicer treatments to the design weren't needed - it was dedicated to the dive. Compared to its competitors, the Ju-87 was unique in that it was capable of and comfortable in a purely vertical dive.

Dutchy

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:25 pm

smithbs wrote:
German design in the 1930s could make a pretty good wing, better than Fokker in my opinion (Fokker didn't really keep up with the times from their 1920s designs, I think, and German design accelerated past them).

Anthony Fokker went back to the Netherlands after WWI, so not a real contest here for fighter design, although I always liked this one: Fokker G.1:

The Fokker G.I was a Dutch twin-engined heavy fighter aircraft comparable in size and role to the German Messerschmitt Bf 110. Although in production prior to World War II, its combat introduction came at a time the Netherlands were overrun by the Germans. The few G.Is that were mustered into service were able to score several victories. Some were captured intact after the Germans had occupied the Netherlands. The remainder of the production run was taken over by the Luftwaffe for use as trainers.

and

Battle of the Netherlands

On 10 May 1940, when Nazi Germany invaded the Netherlands, 23 G.1 aircraft were serviceable while production of Spain's order of the G.1 Wasp variant continued with a dozen aircraft completed, awaiting armament.

The German invasion started with an early morning (03:50 hours) Luftwaffe attack on the Dutch airfields. While the 4th JaVA received a devastating blow, losing all but one of its aircraft, eight 3rd JaVA G.1 fighters of the Waalhaven airbase in Rotterdam, that were already fully fuelled and armed, scrambled in time and successfully engaged several German aircraft. The surviving aircraft continued to fly, but with mounting losses, bringing their numbers down to three airworthy aircraft by the end of the first day. Despite the heavy losses of 4th JaVA, some of the planes could be kept in the air by scavenging parts from various planes. In the "Five-day War", the available G.1 fighters were mainly deployed in ground attack missions, strafing advancing German infantry units, but also used to attack Junkers Ju 52/3m transports.[8] Although reports are fragmentary and inaccurate as to the results, G.1 fighters were employed over Rotterdam and the Hague, contributing to the loss of 167 Ju 52s, scoring up to 14 confirmed aerial kills.[9]
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ZKNCI

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Ozair wrote:
For me, it is a very difficult choice

Agree with it being a very difficult choice, Ozair! My top three probably would be...
Supermarine Spitfire, especially the later Merlin marks (VIII, IX, XVI) - great looks, sound and performance, stunning aircraft. A case of if it looks right, it flies right.

Bit of an odd one, Bell P-39 Airacobra - nice looking with the slim forward fuselage, and a tricycle undercarriage on a single-engine prop. Just a shame they took the turbo out...

And rounding out the top three, the Curtiss P-40. Not the highest-performance fighter of WWII, but a reliable workhorse. Fortunately this local P-40N flies often

Honorable mentions:
Hawker Hurricane - exceptionally robust and a stable platform
DH Mosquito - was there any role there wasn't a Mosquito for?
Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate - good handling and performance while having decent protection
Fairey Fulmar - ok, not the most sprightly fighter out there and outclassed by single-seaters, but it had good endurance which made it useful for patrols and still managed to hold its own. Looks nice too.

Ozair wrote:
if you could only have one fighter aircraft from World War Two in your Air Force which would it be?

Probably the Vought F4U-4. Good all-round performance and robustness, effective air-to-air and air-to-ground. It did stay in use for a reason!

Ozair wrote:
S-199s (Czech built 109s).

Low rev, high torque Jumo driving a paddle-blade prop and sitting on a narrow undercarriage - not a great combination...

smithbs

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 am

Dutchy wrote:
Anthony Fokker went back to the Netherlands after WWI, so not a real contest here for fighter design,

Yes, I guess when I think of Fokker I think of the Universal and Tri-motor. His military designs are hard to get information on and seem rather hazy in history. I figured it was a hard field for him - advanced metals and cutting edge powerplants were probably difficult to get.

LyleLanley

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 am

After spending the better part of two hours of COVID-19 lockdown listening to various WW2 prop engines and highlights of the aircraft they power, I've come to the conclusion that there are no losers in this ‘contest’, except those who haven’t explored the field.

Excellent thread as well as the info and pics posted!

LightningZ71

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:26 pm

While I'm borderline obsessed with WWII Aircraft and love so many of them for various reasons, with no disrespect to many of the others listed here, I have to say that my personal favorites are the British Hawker Typhoon/Tempest/Sea Fury line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon

The Typhoon began the line mid war and proved to be a very effective low altitude interceptor and ground attack aircraft. With the switch to the four 20mm cannons that protruded from the wing leading edge, it gained significant offensive punch and reach. Those protruding cannons have always looked quite intimidating to me and were what initially caught my eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest

Later, it was further developed into the Tempest, gaining speed and performance at altitude, though it was still largely used for lo level interception roles due to its, at the time, incredible speed (one of the fastest in the role of that era). The original production run retained the protruding Hispanno 20mm cannons, but later runs were produced with a shorter barrel version that was flush with the wing leading edge. I feel that the changes to the wing improved the looks of the airframe a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Sea_Fury

Finally, it was developed into the Sea Fury, which was one of the fastest reciprocating engine fighters ever built. Largely a navalized Tempest, it had significant differences in Engine and other minor details throughout. Used by the Royal navy in the post war period, it saw significant export sales and was still in use during the Korean conflict, where it proved to be effective against the Mig-15.

(All images care of WikiCommons)

kc135topboom

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 pm

For me it is:

US
P-38
P-40
F6F
P-51

UK
Hurricane
Mosquito F/NF

Germany
Bf-109
Me-110
Me-262

Japan
A6M
N1K

Reddevil556

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 pm

kc135topboom wrote:
For me it is:

US
P-38
P-40
F6F
P-51

UK
Hurricane
Mosquito F/NF

Germany
Bf-109
Me-110
Me-262

Japan
A6M
N1K

I agree with the Me 110, had a very sharp appearance.

No love for the Me 163? Haha
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2

Slug71

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 pm

P-51
Spitfire
Me-262

mxaxai

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 am

Favorite for me is certainly the Spitfire. Love the clean lines, the proportions, and above all that elliptical wing planform.

The only other fighter that comes close is the P-51 but the fat air intake under the belly ruins it.

Now, it's technically not a real fighter aircraft and it came kinda late for WW2 service but another favorite vintage aircraft is the AD-1 / A-1D Skyraider. And for quite the opposite reason as the Spitfire: It's a fat, chunky bus but aerodynamics don't matter when there's that massive propeller up front. The feeling as your entire body shakes when the Skyraider accelerates at full power on take-off . All the late-war and postwar high performance props have this feeling of power but IMHO none of them conveys it as effectively as the Skyraider. The knowledge that this is what peak piston performance looks like.

Ozair
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 am

Reddevil556 wrote:
I agree with the Me 110, had a very sharp appearance.

Agree as well. While it ended up being a poor day fighter the aircraft was superb as a night fighter. The right sized platform to hold sufficient armament, sufficient endurance and space to hold a radar.

LightningZ71 wrote:
While I'm borderline obsessed with WWII Aircraft and love so many of them for various reasons, with no disrespect to many of the others listed here, I have to say that my personal favorites are the British Hawker Typhoon/Tempest/Sea Fury line.

The Typhoon and Tempest are both great lookers. I don't like the Sea Fury as much. The Tempest had such a prolonged start stop production and it was a shame more weren’t available before the end of the war. I prefer the V myself.

ZKNCI wrote:
Bit of an odd one, Bell P-39 Airacobra - nice looking with the slim forward fuselage, and a tricycle undercarriage on a single-engine prop. Just a shame they took the turbo out...

Such an unusual aircraft for the time. Not sure how difficult the aircraft was to maintain with the mid mounted engine. Also interesting that the Soviets used it primarily as an air to air aircraft. Crazy as well how many were provided to the Soviet Union, over 4000 P-39s and over 2000 P-63s.

ZKNCI wrote:
Ozair wrote:
if you could only have one fighter aircraft from World War Two in your Air Force which would it be?

Probably the Vought F4U-4. Good all-round performance and robustness, effective air-to-air and air-to-ground. It did stay in use for a reason!

It is the logical choice as LyleLanley stated.

Ozair
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 am

I've been doing some research based on peoples favourite aircraft and came across this site http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

It looks to be an excellent resource for the performance of a lot of the aircraft we are talking about and includes, for a few aircraft, pilot accounts of interceptions.

Phosphorus

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

I would nominate La-5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavochkin_La-5

It was the plane of a fellow Ukrainian Ivan Kozhedub, the highest-scoring Allied fighter ace in WWII:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Kozhedub

La-5 was a dramatic design (and fortunes) reversal from earlier versions (LaGG series) that were loathed by pilots. La-5 had engine power and firepower to turn the tables in the sky over Eastern Front.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:48 am

Ozair wrote:
So to start off, what is your favourite (not necessarily best) World War Two Fighter and why?

Various contributors have touched upon twin engine designs, mentioning the P-38, de Havilland Mosquito and even the Me110.
But y'all forgot the maddest baddest one of all; the Bristol Beaufighter.
With four 20mm cannon in the nose, plus six Browning machine guns, it was in 1940 the most heavily armed fighter in the world.
Later versions (such as the one in the photo) added even greater firepower with eight 5in HVAR.
And then there were the smooth and relatively quiet sleeve valved engines (also made by Bristol)

An excellent night fighter, torpedo bomber, and ground attack aircraft, it was a significant factor in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea (RAAF & USAAF)
The 13 Beaufighters from No. 30 Squadron RAAF approached the [Japanese] convoy at low level to give the impression they were Beauforts making a torpedo attack. The ships turned to face them, the standard procedure to present a smaller target to torpedo bombers, allowing the Beaufighters to maximise the damage they inflicted on the ships' anti-aircraft guns, bridges and crews in strafing runs with their four 20 mm (0.79 in) nose cannons and six wing-mounted .303 in (7.70 mm) machine guns. Immediately afterward, seven B-25s of the 38th Bombardment Group's 71st Bombardment Squadron bombed from about 750 m (2,460 ft), while six from the 405th Bombardment Squadron attacked at mast height

And good grief, like the Mosquito, they were so good even the Americans flew them. :duck:
Here's a couple of USAAF examples in Italy 1943, still wearing RAF serials alongside the USAAF roundel.

And here is a very late example of the Bristol Beaufighter (no, seriously, the Bristol Aeroplane company also made cars at Filton, home of Concorde, and this is the Bristol model 412 Beaufighter from 1980) :D

Thx as ever to wikipedia :bigthumbsup:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

LyleLanley

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:01 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
And here is a very late example of the Bristol Beaufighter (no, seriously, the Bristol Aeroplane company also made cars at Filton, home of Concorde, and this is the Bristol model 412 Beaufighter from 1980) :D

Thx as ever to wikipedia :bigthumbsup:

Pfft... the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. :lol:

The Beaufighter seems like an outstanding choice. Reminds me of the B-25s with 8 (10?) .50 cals on the nose, but obviously better and more formidable.

As the waiter might say, “great choice, sir”.

ZKNCI

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:21 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
Reminds me of the B-25s with 8 (10?) .50 cals on the nose, but obviously better and more formidable.

As the waiter might say, “great choice, sir”.

Eight in the nose and four in the packs for the solid-nose Js :shock:

Instead of four of the .50s, the B-25H had a 75mm cannon....

All great choices on this thread! :bigthumbsup:

LyleLanley wrote:
Pfft... the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. :lol:

No, it's right, in both senses ;)

spudh

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Love the photos coming in this thread, thanks guys!

I'm going to give the mainstream opinion a shout here, as a kid I was a huge P-51 fan but as I've gotten older my appreciation for the Spitfire has grown. I still think the Mustang is probably the meanest, coolest of the war but the lines of the later Spitfires, once they lengthened the nose are just perfect, they give truth to the engineering maxim "if it looks right, it is right".

My alternate favourite is the Mosquito, the whole story of its genesis as the wooden wonder is fascinating, that it turned out as multi-talented as it was is amazing. It's hard to believe that it could turn with the day fighters and yet could out range a medium bomber with 4,000lbs of bombs.