Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ozair
Topic Author

Firefly Alpha News and Discussion Thread

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 am

I received an email this morning regarding Firefly Alpha scheduled to launch their first rocket potentially on the 20th of April. Firefly Aerospace has some controversy associated with them which I also wasn't aware of.

Having reviewed the wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_Alpha it seems a decent small satellite launch system but I would be interested in the comments of those far more knowledgeable than myself on Firefly Alpha and their potential longevity in the market? Also what their engines are like and how much potential their followons Beta and Gamma have?

Some concept art.
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

mxaxai

Re: Firefly Alpha

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:11 am

Pardon me for resurrecting this thread. The first launch on 02.09.2021 (yesterday) ended in a big explosion.
https://spacenews.com/firefly-alpha-exp ... st-launch/
The rocket’s first stage may have been underperforming. According to a mission overview distributed by Firefly before the launch, the vehicle was supposed to reach the speed of Mach 1 67 seconds after liftoff, followed by maximum dynamic pressure nine seconds later. However, launch controllers did not report that the vehicle was supersonic until 2 minutes and 20 seconds after liftoff, about 10 seconds before the vehicle exploded.

Just two weeks ago, Firefly got an ex-SpaceX, ex-Blue Origin engineer as their new COO. https://spacenews.com/firefly-hires-for ... er-as-coo/

GDB

Re: Firefly Alpha

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 am

Ah well, they will know that Space X's first three Falcon 1's failed.
Keep on keeping on.
Best of luck to them.

casinterest

Re: Firefly Alpha News and Discussion Thread

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:53 pm

When I watched the video, there was an awful lot of flex of the structure . It may have been the camera, but I wonder if they had issues with the fuel pumps or maybe one of the fuel tanks blew.

Tugger

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:10 pm

I watched the Everyday Astronaut stream and what piqued my interest was when he pointed out that the engines were not fully gimballed, each able to move back and forth. With the idea that between the four of them they had full directional control. However what happen if one fails? I guess they decided one fails the rocket fails?

Tugg

Francoflier

Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 am

Tugger wrote:
I watched the Everyday Astronaut stream and what piqued my interest was when he pointed out that the engines were not fully gimballed, each able to move back and forth. With the idea that between the four of them they had full directional control. However what happen if one fails? I guess they decided one fails the rocket fails?

Tugg

I think 4 motors is not enough to cover for a failure.
Losing an engine means increasing thrust by about 30% on the other 3 and it's likely not practical or efficient to design a rocket engine with that much power reserve for contingencies. Directional control would also be an issue.

The Astra rocket has 5 motors and when they lost one the other day the thing barely hovered around the pad for a little while until it eventually burned enough fuel that it could accelerate upwards... just. It could never have made it to orbit.

Even the Electron rocket with its 9 engines couldn't achieve orbit after one of them shut down prematurely during a flight earlier this year.
I guess there's just not enough spare performance on these small rockets to provide that level of redundancy.

Still, not a bad result for Firelfly considering this was their first launch. I'm sure they gathered plenty of good data to bring them closer to orbit.
Space is hard...

Francoflier

Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:05 am

Here's Scott Manley's debrief :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXrnvyuhJs

Likely an engine failure during the flight, leading to slow acceleration and loss of directional control as it eventually went supersonic...

Some cool footage of the rocket going sideways and disintegrating too, just before FTS was triggered.

zanl188

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Engine failed about 15 sec into flight. New video from Firefly:

https://youtu.be/qFjoPw0CfAU

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Firefly trying again today with second launch, Alpha Flight 2. First attempt aborted at T-1:30 minutes. Next attempt in about 3 hours, 7 pm PT.

https://firefly.com/alpha-flight-2-to-the-black/

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:14 am

Launch is scrubbed for today. Next launch window is tomorrow from 3 pm to 7 pm PT. Reportedly had a problem with helium pressure.

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:40 pm

Firefly scrubbed again today, due to weather.

JetBuddy

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Will they try again today? Thank you for your continuous updates.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:01 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

Sorry, they weren't sure when I listened to the webcast. Later they said Sept 19th and 20th were scheduled as the next possible dates.

JetBuddy

Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

Sorry, they weren't sure when I listened to the webcast. Later they said Sept 19th and 20th were scheduled as the next possible dates.

Thank you! I was following Everyday Astronaut's webcasts, but didn't grasp when the next launch opportunity was. So about a week from now then.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:44 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

Thank you! I was following Everyday Astronaut's webcasts, but didn't grasp when the next launch opportunity was. So about a week from now then.

The next Alpha launch attempt is tentatively scheduled for 12 am to 2 am PT window on Monday, Sept. 19th.

Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:21 pm

Due to weather systems off the West Coast, Firefly Alpha-2 launch has been postponed to Sept 29th at earliest. Working with range to determine the launch window.

Francoflier

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:18 am

Today's launch was aborted just after main engine light off...
Stil no luck for Firefly, but at least the rocket didn't explode this time.

https://www.space.com/firefly-aerospace ... ight-abort

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 pm

Firefly will attempt another Alpha launch overnight tonight, after suffering two abort trips in their attempts last night. Window opens 12 midnight PT.

https://twitter.com/spaceflightnow/stat ... cYhCL4aLlg

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:12 am

Firefly launched the Alpha rocket on schedule tonight. There was a small early cutoff of the second stage, which may have altered the orbit slightly. But they proceeded with the second stage relight test, and are proceeding with payload deployment.

GDB

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:48 pm

They finally made it, here is Scott Manley's take;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEMBBI4l2JE

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:04 pm

They confirmed today that they significantly undershot the desired orbit. The payloads may now have a shorter orbital life. Also they had a near miss at staging, when the first stage almost contacted the second at release.

But given that this was a test flight and the first to reach orbit, overall it was successful. They can work on cleaning up the other issues for the next flight.

Not sure if anyone watched the Everyday Astronaut coverage, but Tim was super enthusiastic about the whole thing, despite having been out there for hours on the previous attempts.

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:40 pm

It's been confirmed that the orbital life of the Firefly Alpha payloads is reduced by 90%, making it a failure from that perspective. But as the second test flight and the first to reach orbit, it was successful in measuring performance and gathering flight data.

https://twitter.com/seradata/status/1577956803165519872