Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ANZUS340
Topic Author

F/A-18 SH block numbers/ visual differences.

Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Today I heard Boeing will be producing the F/A-18 Super Hornet Block lll. Which got me thinking what are the visual/observable differences between the Super Hornet Block 1 and Super Hornet Block ll?

I have found very little on the topic. I did find an article that said the block ll has a slightly different shaped nose than the block l. It did not say what the differences were/are.

Anyway, thanks. I feel bad. I am always asking questions here, as my superficial knowledge, on pretty much anything aviation would not offer much of value to the various threads.

LyleLanley

Re: F/A-18 SH block numbers/ visual differences.

Mon May 11, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm probably wrong, but I think the IFF 'pizza box' on top of the nose is the difference. My google-fu is weak right now, but it's a raised square in front of the canopy versus a set of five aerial antennas on the previous version.

Don't worry about asking questions: knowledge doesn't come from staying silent.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

ANZUS340
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 10:55 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
I'm probably wrong, but I think the IFF 'pizza box' on top of the nose is the difference. My google-fu is weak right now, but it's a raised square in front of the canopy versus a set of five aerial antennas on the previous version.

Don't worry about asking questions: knowledge doesn't come from staying silent.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Ozair

Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 pm

LyleLanley wrote:

I think that difference is primarily between Classic and Super, not Blk I to Blk II? I cannot find a single image of a SH that has the five blade antenna but plenty of classics. A few images of Blk Is that have no antenna there at all.

I'm also not sure there are actually any Blk I flying now anyway, I thought they were all upgraded to Blk II or retired? The big change between the Blks was the addition of the AESA radar on Blk II aircraft and that was added to some but I believe not all Blk I aircraft.

Below is an older graphic of the SH blk changes with little I can see externally changing between Blk I and II.

Blk III will have a few visual changes in addition to the CFTs including a couple of minor RCS improvements to the nose of the aircraft on the gun muzzle and the AoA sensor.

LyleLanley

Tue May 12, 2020 12:17 am

I stand by the first three words of my previous post :)
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

ThePointblank

Tue May 12, 2020 12:22 am

Ozair wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

I think that difference is primarily between Classic and Super, not Blk I to Blk II? I cannot find a single image of a SH that has the five blade antenna but plenty of classics. A few images of Blk Is that have no antenna there at all.

I'm also not sure there are actually any Blk I flying now anyway, I thought they were all upgraded to Blk II or retired? The big change between the Blks was the addition of the AESA radar on Blk II aircraft and that was added to some but I believe not all Blk I aircraft.

Below is an older graphic of the SH blk changes with little I can see externally changing between Blk I and II.

Blk III will have a few visual changes in addition to the CFTs including a couple of minor RCS improvements to the nose of the aircraft on the gun muzzle and the AoA sensor.

Not all of the Block I's got upgraded; remember that initially, the Super Hornet shared the same forward fuselage of the classic Hornet, and one of the changes made to accommodate the AESA radar was structural, which made the early batch of Super Hornets unable to be upgraded with the AESA radar.

ANZUS340
Topic Author

Tue May 12, 2020 12:55 am

Ozair wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Great, thanks. I did not know that Blk l's could be upgraded to the ll. Good to know.

ANZUS340
Topic Author

Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 am

ThePointblank wrote:
Ozair wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Not all of the Block I's got upgraded; remember that initially, the Super Hornet shared the same forward fuselage of the classic Hornet, and one of the changes made to accommodate the AESA radar was structural, which made the early batch of Super Hornets unable to be upgraded with the AESA radar.

Cool. So when I read earlier that BLK ll new builds had a slightly different nose section of the BLK l's it now makes sense why that is the case. Thankyou.