Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aymane
Topic Author

Ejection seat guide rail

Tue May 12, 2020 1:01 am

Hi, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm working on a project to make an ejection seat and test it. Now I need any technical information or documents that can help me to design the guide rail for the ejection seat cuz I did a lot of searching on the internet but I couldn't find anything useful.
So please, if anyone in this forum has some information or can help me I'll be grateful.

angad84

Re: Ejection seat guide rail

Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 am

proof of concept or certifiable?
assuming the former, just about any rail system will work. clip the ends off kitchen drawer slides so they can pull free at the end of the stroke? just a thought.

JayinKitsap

Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Look at elevator guide rails, in particular for cable types (vs hydraulic), they are designed for acceleration quickly up to speeds of 1,500 FPM.

I've used on conveyors sealed roller bearings as the guide wheels with Grade 8 bolts for the axles. Might not need rollers, UHMW anchored to the seat frame that glides on the rail. An easy rail product is square tubing the rollers or glides will touch 3 sides of the tube, supported on the 4th side. The clearances of the guides riding on side face is important to be able to adjust. Too tight it will bind up easy, too loose it will rack. I'm used to steel, not AL, how UHMW slides on AL is unknown to me.

https://www.otis.com/en/us/tools-resour ... y-systems/

boacvc10

Sun May 17, 2020 6:12 pm

aymane wrote:
Hi, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm working on a project to make an ejection seat and test it.

On the testing side of the project (fun!) - What is your test protocol? Will you use accelerometers to measure G-force, and set triggers, or high speed cameras to see effects, or other? Well, the more important thing might be to ask: how many weeks do you have before the final report is due to get academic credit and are you on your own, or is this a team effort and you have to distribute the workload across other students :boxedin:

So the real "solution" for you to get an A is to understand what the instructor want's you to do to get a good grade: Theory | Modeling and SImulation with proof of concept | Investigation of an actual project that does an aspect of a pre-agreed test case. Don't (like many) over think it, over do it.

Also: High School or College? 1 semester, 2 semester or final project? Also, how many days will you have to analyzse the data and synthesize your research into a paper - which will take up a lot of your time away from your designing + fabrication + testing + analysis schedule.
Up, up and Away!

WKTaylor

Thu May 28, 2020 3:20 am

Ejection is a complex/dangerous process... as the parachute packer's motto indicates... they are the last to let you down' [in an emergency]. However ejection from a disabled aircraft is a marvel of engineering and timing/opportunity.

Seat Guide-rails are usually heavy duty aluminum extrusions. The back of the seat has rigidly mounted guide/slipper-blocks [2 upper, 2 lower] for min friction and good rigidity with the [2] guide rails under aerodynamic and 'G' forces.

For Grins... https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsSearch.aspx ....

MIL-STD-850 AIRCREW STATION VISION REQUIREMENTS FOR MILITARY AIRCRAFT

MIL-STD-1333 AIRCREW STATION GEOMETRY FOR MILITARY AIRCRAFT

MIL-S-18471 SYSTEM, AIRCREW AUTOMATED ESCAPE, EJECTION SEAT TYPE: GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

MIL-S-9479 SEAT SYSTEM, UPWARD EJECTION, AIRCRAFT, GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

MIL-S-18471 SYSTEM, AIRCREW AUTOMATED ESCAPE, EJECTION SEAT TYPE: GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

MIL-S-18471/1 SEAT SYSTEM, TRACTOR ROCKET AIRCREW EXTRACTION ESCAPE SYSTEM

MIL-DTL-32127 CATAPULT, AIRCRAFT EJECTION SEAT, CKU-5C/A ASSEMBLY

MIL-P-83126 PROPULSION SYSTEMS, AIRCREW ESCAPE, DESIGN SPECIFICATION FOR

... OR PERHAPS AN EJECTION SEAT TREAINER...

MIL-T-82341 TRAINER, EJECTION SEAT, AIRCRAFT, GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

For giggles.... http://www.ejectionsite.com/