Dublinspotter
Topic Author

RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Evening folks,

Came across this on the Twitter-sphere.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... r-12007923

"Boris Johnson's jet gets 'Austin Powers' makeover
The RAF Voyager transport plane will reportedly be transformed from plain grey to the UK's red, white and blue.
One source said the paint job sounded like something 'from Austin Powers'"

Seemingly the UK's Prime Minister is getting his wish, after previously protesting to its grey markings. Initially, the airframe in question was meant to support air-refueling duties and to step in for VIP travel when needed. I guess removing the military markings means it will now serve full-time as the VIP frame.

Personally, I like the livery on the French Air Force's A332 designated for presidential travel - I would hope for something as sleek in the RAF equivalent, nothing tacky!

Thoughts?

Best,
Dublinspotter
Dublinspotter

mxaxai

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Not knowing much of Austin Powers, I guess this what the article refers to?
Except in red, white, blue, of course ...

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah baby! :D

giblets

RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:55 pm

The old vc10 transport command scheme (grey bottom, shite top with blue lightning stripe down the middle) was pretty good (a nod to history and vaguely similar to the current scheme) combine that with a more colourful tail, might be fitting, though it’s in danger of just looking like British airways.

Perhaps they will just take up the same scheme from 32 squadrons 146s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!

Devilfish

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:03 pm

mxaxai wrote:

Slap this on the vertical stab...or between the cockpit window and D1...and call it a day! ..... :bigthumbsup:

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/3QJ ... TUXtTN.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 am

What a stupid vanity project.

With the grey you could reasonably argue it was a military aircraft first and foremost with government travel a core, but secondary, function. By painting it like that you're now saying the government transport is its primary function with military work being very much secondary. And when the British public have been told for well over a decade how important austerity is and how everyone has to play their part, well this becomes a slap in the face for many that it's one rule for the powerful and another for the worker.

moo

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

With the grey you could reasonably argue it was a military aircraft first and foremost with government travel a core, but secondary, function. By painting it like that you're now saying the government transport is its primary function with military work being very much secondary. And when the British public have been told for well over a decade how important austerity is and how everyone has to play their part, well this becomes a slap in the face for many that it's one rule for the powerful and another for the worker.

I'd disagree with this being a stupid vanity project - there is a good argument to be made that a civilian national leader shouldn't be jetting around the world on what is unmistakably a military jet. It doesn't look good imho - a repaint is a pretty simple way to resolve this. If we need the capabilities of the aircraft in a conflict, it can be repainted back into military colours - and a paint job will have no effect on training missions should the aircraft be required in that capacity.

TWA772LR

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 am

mxaxai wrote:

Oh please dear God let this happen.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

giblets

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 am

giblets wrote:
The old vc10 transport command scheme (grey bottom, white top with blue lightning stripe down the middle) was pretty good (a nod to history and vaguely similar to the current scheme) combine that with a more colourful tail, might be fitting, though it’s in danger of just looking like British airways.

Perhaps they will just take up the same scheme from 32 squadrons 146s?

apologies for the typo! Corrected
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:36 am

moo wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

I'd disagree with this being a stupid vanity project - there is a good argument to be made that a civilian national leader shouldn't be jetting around the world on what is unmistakably a military jet. It doesn't look good imho - a repaint is a pretty simple way to resolve this. If we need the capabilities of the aircraft in a conflict, it can be repainted back into military colours - and a paint job will have no effect on training missions should the aircraft be required in that capacity.

And I'd disagree with that. A big part of how this was sold to the British public is that it was cheaper than leasing out a commercial jet all the time and that a major part of its role would be as a military tanker. It is still unmistakably a civilian airframe so even in grey it's perfectly non-threatening. Now if the government was regularly carting about in a transport like the C-17 you might have a stronger point. Now it just makes Boris somehow look even more out of touch with most voters as he prances about in a custom painted jet while the rest of the country is barely able to keep their jobs or businesses going.

GDB

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
moo wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

And I'd disagree with that. A big part of how this was sold to the British public is that it was cheaper than leasing out a commercial jet all the time and that a major part of its role would be as a military tanker. It is still unmistakably a civilian airframe so even in grey it's perfectly non-threatening. Now if the government was regularly carting about in a transport like the C-17 you might have a stronger point. Now it just makes Boris somehow look even more out of touch with most voters as he prances about in a custom painted jet while the rest of the country is barely able to keep their jobs or businesses going.

Quite correct, it was not unreasonable to have a VIP kit for an existing tanker/transport asset, especially in instances where secure comms might be needed and/or a higher threat from say MANPADS.
Of course Alexander dePiffiel 'Boris' Johnson with his ego and history of spending public money on his vanity projects, would see it differently.
Also, a distraction, this and the merging of two departments to try to at least grab some news time away from the fact that a 22 year old professional footballer shamed his government into a policy u-turn just hours after he sent his hapless, hopeless ministers out to defend the policy he was about to do a 180 on.

Dublinspotter
Topic Author

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:46 pm

GDB wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
moo wrote:
Also, a distraction, this and the merging of two departments to try to at least grab some news time away from the fact that a 22 year old professional footballer shamed his government into a policy u-turn just hours after he sent his hapless, hopeless ministers out to defend the policy he was about to do a 180 on.

While we shouldn't encourage the political debate, this is likely the plan. Especially referring to ”Austin Powers” to garner the media attention cravings for goofery.

Either way, the plane is getting painted and I hope it is at least something presentable.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plane was to move into No. 32nd Squadron (as the BAE146s are retired) to keep dedicated VIP transport in-house.

By the way, is there any recent photographs of the cabin interior? Those online through a Google search look like stock photos - although I'm most likely wrong on that account.

Cheers
Dublinspotter
Dublinspotter

Myv40

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I've not been able to find out who is paying for this paint job. The MOD leases the planes from Airtanker I believe so are they writing the cheque? Is it possible that the aircraft in question was due a re-paint anyway? Is £900k a reasonable sum to repaint a large airliner? For my two cent's it is perfectly proper for the PM of the worlds 6th largest economy to have the use of an aircraft painted in the nations colours for certain journeys.

GDB

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Myv40 wrote:
I've not been able to find out who is paying for this paint job. The MOD leases the planes from Airtanker I believe so are they writing the cheque? Is it possible that the aircraft in question was due a re-paint anyway? Is £900k a reasonable sum to repaint a large airliner? For my two cent's it is perfectly proper for the PM of the worlds 6th largest economy to have the use of an aircraft painted in the nations colours for certain journeys.

We managed perfectly well without it before, using on occasion a standard aircraft with a removable VIP kit was enough.
No, this is typical behavior for him.

AstanaMagic

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:51 pm

I’d rather see the spend on tarting up an existing aircraft (whether it’s leased or not) than buying 2 new A350’s or a used VIP A319/Boeing BBJ as other EU states have done.

It’s no surprise Jimmy Cranky’s party is up in arms...
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, TAS, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

Slug71

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 am

TWA772LR wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Oh please dear God let this happen.

+1

GDB

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am

AstanaMagic wrote:
I’d rather see the spend on tarting up an existing aircraft (whether it’s leased or not) than buying 2 new A350’s or a used VIP A319/Boeing BBJ as other EU states have done.

It’s no surprise Jimmy Cranky’s party is up in arms...

Why not call the RAF A330 'Air Force Dominic', the one who is in charge?

AstanaMagic

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:15 pm

GDB wrote:
AstanaMagic wrote:

It could SNPise Loganair, to “Fly Cranky”
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, TAS, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

GCT64

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Just list the G7 or G20's dedicated VIP aircraft fleets and see how the UK looks against that list. You'll quickly see that VIP air transport in the UK is very small and efficient compared with comparable countries.
Frankly the UK "fleet" (it barely constitutes a fleet) is embarrassingly small for the 5th largest GDP in the world.
Here we are simply repainting an existing aircraft for its primary peacetime role, it can easily be painted grey or pink or green if needed for war.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

GDB

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:13 am

AstanaMagic wrote:
GDB wrote:
AstanaMagic wrote:

It could SNPise Loganair, to “Fly Cranky”

While no fans of theirs, not being in Scotland so not having a vote in that fight, I don't get your obsession/distraction with a party that has no say in this. But they do have a right to comment on stupid, ego driven spending. Since the MoD comes from general taxation across the UK.
At least it's not the 40 though some say more like 60M that him as Mayor Of London spent public money on for a 'Garden Bridge' in London that no one wanted, nor was needed, would be 'privately financed'. God knows how much it would have been if he'd actually got the stupid thing started.

The money spent on this silly repaint for the overgrown child, also at least likely does not match money spent on another stupid idea, the 'Boris Island' airport, which anyone with any knowledge could have told him (and probably did) that it was a non starter in the early 70's when it was the 'Maplin Sands' project. I well remember his solemn vow that he would never vote for LHR expansion, when the vote came, he left the country for a day.

He also had to name a bus after himself, it would be like the old Routemasters, (ignoring advice that an open door like them was untenable now for health and safety and disabled access reasons, so that part never happened, being able to jump on and off). The bus delivered was cramped, with no air con in summer, the company that made this 'world beater' of his ended up going bust.
(Same designer, mate of his, who was going to do the bridge).

One thing that did not change during the lockdown from before, the lack of passengers on the Thames Cable Car, guess whose idea that was? Guess who pays?
This repaint seems to be roughly half the costs of the old German water cannons he ordered when Mayor, despite objections and warnings of their suitability for London and even legality, especially from the Police. Never used, never could be, eventually scrapped.

I would rather issues be tackled like why we have the highest COVID death rate in Europe, 3rd in the world, why his 'world beating' Track and Trace system will be 3 months late, after already (in June) being 3 months later than most other nations who have implemented it.
Run by the same mob who are always screwing up government contracts. Like Serco.
They had to bring the army in for the London 2012 Olympics after they screwed up security, the military had to step in again for COVID mobile testing after a dodgy accounting firm got the contract for it and screwed it up. I mean, an accountancy firm is who you go to for medical testing in a pandemic, isn't it?

It should maybe be a point of some pride that we don't have a shiny VIP fleet, though I have seen footage of French AF Falcons assigned to that unit doing some medical missions during COVID.
Whether this is something they do at times anyway, or just during COVID, is unclear.

mxaxai

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:20 am

GCT64 wrote:
Just list the G7 or G20's dedicated VIP aircraft fleets and see how the UK looks against that list. You'll quickly see that VIP air transport in the UK is very small and efficient compared with comparable countries.
Frankly the UK "fleet" (it barely constitutes a fleet) is embarrassingly small for the 5th largest GDP in the world.
Here we are simply repainting an existing aircraft for its primary peacetime role, it can easily be painted grey or pink or green if needed for war.

I wouldn't call it "embarassingly" small but rather efficient. The VIP fleets of other G7 states are often larger than really neccessary. But you know, if the PM gets to fly on his jet, the ministers have to do so too, right? And surely members of parliament could also make use of such assets. And while we're at it, they do absolutely need their staff with them at all times, so you can't let those fly commercially either when their boss has his private jet.

IMHO, all a country needs is 1-2 widebodies for the PM / Head of State + staff and 2-4 business jets for ministers that have special travel requirements, e. g. the ministry of foreign affairs. Even better if the widebody is MRTT capable. Anybody else can fly commercial or charter something from their own budget.

giblets

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm

This is the old transport command scheme, they could get away with a more colourful tail though.

GDB

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:38 pm

giblets wrote:
This is the old transport command scheme, they could get away with a more colourful tail though.

That was a nice livery though I think we could leave the tail as is/was.
But of course there was a reason why RAF transports, as with most other AF's, adopted timed down liveries over these last 35 years or so, including transport types.

Maybe a smarter move might have been do have done one in that livery for the RAF 100th anniversary in 2018.
Done by the service not some useless show off of a politician.

kc135topboom

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 am

Apologies to my British friends, but I don't see a problem painting one jet for VIP transport. Aircraft repainting is part of the maintenance upkeep on airplanes. The old paint is stripped off, any corrosion is repaired, then it is painted again.
Canada has a special VIP painted CC-150.
Australia has a special VIP KC-30.
France has a special VIP painted A-330.
Germany has a special VIP painted A-319CJ.
So why cant the UK have one?

Aesma

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:50 am

I saw this a couple days ago in the dailymail I think, the aircraft was basically all red with a flag on the tail. The article was saying that the scheme should allow it to continue to be a military asset, so that got a chuckle out ot me.

I don't think having a widebody for VIP transport is an issue for a country like the UK, however the timing of this is disastrous.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GDB

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:46 am

At least one (now safely ex when it comes to speaking out) RAF pilot in this area is not impressed;

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-ex-pilot

This is what is really behind it, the image of the country and of course, the cost, doesn't matter;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... yal-yachts

Groover158

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 am

kc135topboom wrote:
Apologies to my British friends, but I don't see a problem painting one jet for VIP transport. Aircraft repainting is part of the maintenance upkeep on airplanes. The old paint is stripped off, any corrosion is repaired, then it is painted again.

Just to confirm your point, Australia has a VIP-configured KC-30, but it’s definitely not painted any different to the rest of the fleet. So, I’m not sure how adding it to your list serves your argument.

GDB

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 am

Groover158 wrote:
kc135topboom wrote:

Just to confirm your point, Australia has a VIP-configured KC-30, but it’s definitely not painted any different to the rest of the fleet. So, I’m not sure how adding it to your list serves your argument.

And it terms of operation and role, closest to the RAF.
The RAAF and RAF even have the same C in C.
One suspects Brenda cares not about the livery of the aircraft she or her family travel on.

giblets

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:45 am

Personally I think the Daily Mail article was a little tongue in cheek! Someone posted an image on twitter claiming to show what it 'will' look like, personally this just looks like a rip off from the French presidential aircraft.

Devilfish

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:30 pm

giblets wrote:
Personally I think the Daily Mail article was a little tongue in cheek! Someone posted an image on twitter claiming to show what it 'will' look like, personally this just looks like a rip off from the French presidential aircraft.

Somebody is being very "creative".....I'd say the CF's influence is quite strong.....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/6b/50 ... 38fa8a.jpg

Btblue

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:04 pm

I would say this is pretty much on the money! This video illustrates the tail nicely, captured at Cambridge Airport earlier today.

https://youtu.be/lRmBqycH3T8

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

GDB

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 am

Btblue wrote:
I would say this is pretty much on the money! This video illustrates the tail nicely, captured at Cambridge Airport earlier today.

https://youtu.be/lRmBqycH3T8

Looks flashy, inappropriate, pointless and made with public money because a born into wealth Tory wants it.
He should perhaps pay more attention to the restive talk in his own party, they are discovering, to no surprise to anyone who has known him, employed then sacked him (all so far, from newspapers to party leaders), or just paid attention beyond his act, that he isn't up to the job. 65000+ Covid dead for a start.

seahawk

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:45 am

One could say it looks very groovy for such an enormous Johnson.

texl1649

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:27 pm

Always good to see the Union Jack proudly displayed.

Elshad

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Here's a video: https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status ... 89512?s=20

Tail is fine I guess but the thin, wavy stripe and gold lettering look very dated in my opinion.

Also, if this is going to be used full-time for VIP transport why have they retained the refuelling pods?

tootallsd

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:18 pm

It looks very much like Mr Trump's plan to abandon the iconic Air Force One livery.

PepeTheFrog

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Good moaning!

lollyj

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Jesus, it looks tacky. And £900,000 for that?!

sabenapilot

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Looks cheap to me. :(
More something for a new British long haul LCC than a true VIP plane.
For some reason the Union Jack simply does not lend itself very well for this kind of a tail-down-to-fuselage design: it turns it into a weirdly shaped red bird!
If they absolutely didn't want to go for the modest flag on a white tail like most countries do combined with a sober cheatline in the colour of the nation, they could at least have looked for inspiration in the way the VIP fleet of the Slovak Republic combined colours with history and culture: that is a sign of true taste and refined elegance!
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Slovak- ... P1u/MqE%3D
This looks like it's done by BoJo himself: loud, bombastic and cheap.

intaJET

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:31 pm

texl1649 wrote:

Greetings,

Absolutely, a First Class livery. "Fly the Flag" springs to mind. This makes a great statement about the countries modern, forward thinking approach to UK branding. Wherever this beauty lands, there will be no mistake, "The Brit's are here". :) With the UK (sadly, I'm personally sorry to say) leaving the EU, it will be increasingly important, we showcase the UK in whatever way possible. This certainly does the trick. Congratulations to all involved in this project.

Keep safe everyone.
IntaJET

skipness1E

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Oh it’s fine but most will moan about it and the cost but be the first to explode with rage when they paint it grey again.

smithbs

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Looks fairly good. I probably would have suggested slightly less exaggeration of the flag lines, but I wonder if the artist was trying too hard to not appear like BA. Definitely an improvement over the dull gray colors for a head of state transport.

Btblue

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi folks.

A video of the takeoff earlier.

It's a mighty fine looking jet!

https://youtu.be/MulBhEwDqQ4

Devilfish

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 pm

The registration affirms that an A338 would've been more apt! :bigthumbsup:

https://i.ibb.co/g4wsqfF/Eb-XMACTWo-AMdpju.jpg

https://twitter.com/Chf_Eng_Air/status/ ... 7063297033

Elshad wrote:
Tail is fine I guess but the thin, wavy stripe and gold lettering look very dated in my opinion.

They could lose the short, blue swoosh on the fuse.....the tail would look less cluttered.

seahawk wrote:
One could say it looks very groovy for such an enormous Johnson.

I posted the wrong "Jumping Jack" orientation upthread..... :biggrin:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/d3/32 ... 7bc2b9.jpg

Btblue

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Side on shot. Looks groovy baby! Image

sabenapilot

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:49 pm

intaJET wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

Greetings,

Absolutely, a First Class livery. "Fly the Flag" springs to mind. This makes a great statement about the countries modern, forward thinking approach to UK branding. Wherever this beauty lands, there will be no mistake, "The Brit's are here". :) With the UK (sadly, I'm personally sorry to say) leaving the EU, it will be increasingly important, we showcase the UK in whatever way possible. This certainly does the trick. Congratulations to all involved in this project.

Keep safe everyone.
IntaJET

Hahaha, seriously, what's next?

The British official stepping out of the plane, dressed in a similar attire too, all to underscore the point "the Brits are there" even more?
Go for it, I'd say and get rid of that pin or badge on the dull gray jacket and go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
It's bombastic and ugly, something you'd only expect from Trump!
If you look at it for a while, it becomes basically an oversided weird red bird looking down from a very cluttered background...

intaJET

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:02 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
intaJET wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

Greetings,

Keep safe everyone.
IntaJET

Hahaha, seriously, what's next?

The British official stepping out of the plane, dressed in a similar attire too, all to underscore the point "the Brits are there" even more?
Go for it, I'd say and get rid of that pin or badge on the dull gray jacket and go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
It's bombastic and ugly, something you'd only expect from Trump!
If you look at it for a while, it becomes basically an oversided weird red bird looking down from a very cluttered background...

Unlike some countries, the UK has great recognition worldwide. :)

N766UA

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Bor-is John-son he’s the maaaaaaaan for youuuuu.

Devilfish

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:21 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!

I would draw the line here..... :talktothehand:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/38/b2 ... 6f434c.jpg

intaJET

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Devilfish wrote:
sabenapilot wrote:
go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!

I would draw the line here..... :talktothehand:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/38/b2 ... 6f434c.jpg

That's funny. :) Maybe he's having a "BRIEF" moment of fun. He He