Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ThomasCook
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:43 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Looks like a charter airline now. Wouldn't be out of place in TFS or CFU.
 
intaJET
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:07 pm

ThomasCook wrote:
Looks like a charter airline now. Wouldn't be out of place in TFS or CFU.


The difference may be, that this carrier won't be out of service anytime soon.
 
User avatar
craigpb
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:04 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:17 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... d=msedgntp

What an utter waste of money.... The PM needs to wake up and serve the country, not his ego!
 
User avatar
Dublinspotter
Topic Author
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi all,

The MRTT in question was released this afternoon for a testflight.

https://news.sky.com/story/new-pictures ... r-12014674

New pictures show Boris Johnson's plane after completion of £900k makeover
The once-grey RAF aircraft now features a Union Jack on its tail, with a blue swoosh across the length of the fuselage.

Image

Image

Image

Credit: @RoyalAirForce, @markkwiatkowski, @AlexInAir.

It looks a bit better than I anticipated. Hopefully it will grow on me a bit more overtime. Thoughts?

Dublinspotter
Dublinspotter
 
User avatar
Slug71
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 pm

tootallsd wrote:
It looks very much like Mr Trump's plan to abandon the iconic Air Force One livery.


sabenapilot wrote:
intaJET wrote:
texl1649 wrote:
Always good to see the Union Jack proudly displayed.


Greetings,

Absolutely, a First Class livery. "Fly the Flag" springs to mind. This makes a great statement about the countries modern, forward thinking approach to UK branding. Wherever this beauty lands, there will be no mistake, "The Brit's are here". :) With the UK (sadly, I'm personally sorry to say) leaving the EU, it will be increasingly important, we showcase the UK in whatever way possible. This certainly does the trick. Congratulations to all involved in this project.

Keep safe everyone.
IntaJET



Hahaha, seriously, what's next?

The British official stepping out of the plane, dressed in a similar attire too, all to underscore the point "the Brits are there" even more?
Go for it, I'd say and get rid of that pin or badge on the dull gray jacket and go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
It's bombastic and ugly, something you'd only expect from Trump!
If you look at it for a while, it becomes basically an oversided weird red bird looking down from a very cluttered background...


Oh wah wah wah....everything is Trump's fault... :roll:

That crap aside, I think it looks pretty good honestly.
 
eal
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Looks pretty gaudy and unprofessional, like a one off olympic scheme for Virgin Atlantic. That being said, I see no issue why the UK shouldn't have it's own specially painted aircraft like France, Japan, ROK, Canada or Germany.

Trump's revisions of the AF1 livery is actually nice as I don't think the baby blue captures the national image well (not within the traditional color pallet). I say this as no fan of his admin.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 pm

The Union Jack turned out pretty well I guess. The wavy thin line continuing all the way to the front, though, I think it doesn't match the A330's straight lines ... and tbh they could've kept the "Royal Air Force" lettering instead of that tacky golden "United Kingdom"
 
PaxPicti
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:09 pm

It would have looked better on an A340. I hear they're going quite cheap now.

I'm not a fan of Mr. Johnson, but I don't mind the money being spent on the paint job - it was a British company which did the work and they probably need the business at the moment.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12947
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Air BoJo One ?

The French Cotam Unité F-RARF A330 is still called Air Sarko One two presidents later...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 pm

Aesma wrote:
The French Cotam Unité F-RARF A330 is still called Air Sarko One two presidents later...

According to Flightglobal, it will be officially called Vespina...after the moth. Perhaps to hark back to the DH82 biplane of a bygone era?

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/vi ... 05.article


I guess Brown Force One or Mayfair One just didn't cut it. The only other moniker which caught the public's fancy was Blair Force One -- I suspect the latter would persist in use with the airmen and irreverent press, rather than the quite dull Vespina.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12792
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:15 am

It's quite ridiculous how this issue has gotten a lot of your panties in a twist. The UK is one of the world largest economies, not having dedicated VIP fleet is odd IMO. Having to use a tanker in the VIP role is cheap and not a good look, neither is the paint job they gave her.

Updating the existing livery of the Bae 146's should have been more than ok.

Image

or a version of the Queens helicopter would have looked super classy.

Image
 
marcelh
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Slug71 wrote:
tootallsd wrote:
It looks very much like Mr Trump's plan to abandon the iconic Air Force One livery.


sabenapilot wrote:
intaJET wrote:

Greetings,

Absolutely, a First Class livery. "Fly the Flag" springs to mind. This makes a great statement about the countries modern, forward thinking approach to UK branding. Wherever this beauty lands, there will be no mistake, "The Brit's are here". :) With the UK (sadly, I'm personally sorry to say) leaving the EU, it will be increasingly important, we showcase the UK in whatever way possible. This certainly does the trick. Congratulations to all involved in this project.

Keep safe everyone.
IntaJET



Hahaha, seriously, what's next?

The British official stepping out of the plane, dressed in a similar attire too, all to underscore the point "the Brits are there" even more?
Go for it, I'd say and get rid of that pin or badge on the dull gray jacket and go for the real thing: wear the nation's flag proudly wherever you go, matching this livery all the way!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
It's bombastic and ugly, something you'd only expect from Trump!
If you look at it for a while, it becomes basically an oversided weird red bird looking down from a very cluttered background...


Oh wah wah wah....everything is Trump's fault... :roll:

That crap aside, I think it looks pretty good honestly.

It’s hilarious, but it will serve it’s purpose for the patriottic unwashed....
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm

intaJET wrote:
That's funny. :) Maybe he's having a "BRIEF" moment of fun. He He

Aye...gyrating to this probably..... :goodvibes: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMrXC8D05Q


mxaxai wrote:
The wavy thin line continuing all the way to the front, though, I think it doesn't match the A330's straight lines ... and tbh they could've kept the "Royal Air Force" lettering instead of that tacky golden "United Kingdom"

I think I need new glasses for misreading the registration above. :old:

Image

As noted, removing the short blue swoosh would ease the eye strain. They could have picked up the thin, pointy red line instead to continue below and reinforce the long blue line towards the nose of the aircraft. The UK title would have been fine in blue or black.


eal wrote:
That being said, I see no issue why the UK shouldn't have it's own specially painted aircraft like France, Japan, ROK, Canada or Germany.

I say time and again, all this fuss could be avoided if they gave 32 Sqn a new, dedicated VIP transport. I'm sure Airbus would jump at the opportunity of being the purveyor of aircraft for the Royal Flight -- BREXIT or not. And given COVID-19, they'd be ecstatic to cut a killer deal for an A338 or two. No higher endorsement than that. As pointed out above..... :cheerful: .....

ThomasCook wrote:
It would have been a whole lot more palatable if this aircraft was originally solely for the purpose of VIP transport, but it is not!

Kiwirob wrote:
The UK is one of the world largest economies, not having dedicated VIP fleet is odd IMO. Having to use a tanker in the VIP role is cheap and not a good look


Kiwirob wrote:
or a version of the Queens helicopter would have looked super classy.

Her Majesty is the epitome of class.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Raptormodeller
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 am

For all those complaining about the price. ZZ336 was going in for a C or D check which is going to be pretty expensive and lengthy anyway and our Favourite blonde etonian used it as an opportunity.
The labour costs ALONE when repainting a 747 in ba colours is about 170K, the paint ‘only’ 30K. This is a smaller airplane and a simpler paint job. However it is one off. A price of around 200K for the paint seems reasonable. The 900K figure most likely comes the maintenance costs included. The Daily Mail then did what the Daily Mail does. Hence the 900 000 pound cost we are told. Remember that UK press (print media in this case unless I’m mistaken) is statistically the least trustworthy in Europe.
I could be wrong, maybe it was only in for a lick of paint and the maybe the creative agency tasked with coming up with the artwork really did charge an insane amount.
I know this is the UK and more stupid things happen all the time (just look at NI’s status on abortion as an example) but the 900K figure is highly dubious and is most likely the total cost of maintenance + paint taken out of context by the press wanting to run a story. The fact that anetters are believing this figure and being so inflammatory about it is tragic at the best of times. And these aren’t the best of times. I see more pragmatism and realistic thinking on 4chan’s /x/ board than on (some) of the replies to this thread.
A380 A330 A318 A319 A320 A321 B737 B757 B767 B747 MD80 E185 E195 Q400 EF2000
AF BA QF SQ HOP LT AA BE
 
intaJET
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Raptormodeller wrote:
For all those complaining about the price. ZZ336 was going in for a C or D check which is going to be pretty expensive and lengthy anyway and our Favourite blonde etonian used it as an opportunity.
The labour costs ALONE when repainting a 747 in ba colours is about 170K, the paint ‘only’ 30K. This is a smaller airplane and a simpler paint job. However it is one off. A price of around 200K for the paint seems reasonable. The 900K figure most likely comes the maintenance costs included. The Daily Mail then did what the Daily Mail does. Hence the 900 000 pound cost we are told. Remember that UK press (print media in this case unless I’m mistaken) is statistically the least trustworthy in Europe.
I could be wrong, maybe it was only in for a lick of paint and the maybe the creative agency tasked with coming up with the artwork really did charge an insane amount.
I know this is the UK and more stupid things happen all the time (just look at NI’s status on abortion as an example) but the 900K figure is highly dubious and is most likely the total cost of maintenance + paint taken out of context by the press wanting to run a story. The fact that anetters are believing this figure and being so inflammatory about it is tragic at the best of times. And these aren’t the best of times. I see more pragmatism and realistic thinking on 4chan’s /x/ board than on (some) of the replies to this thread.


Greetings everyone,

Obviously, you can't please everyone, all the time. The UK needs and deserves a strong presence on the international stage. The above referenced post reflects a more sensible approach to the cost. There is no difference in cost between grey and white paint. Regardless of political leanings, the British (flag) still had some value and standing. There is nothing wrong in being a Brit and being proud of the recognition of such.

Have a great and safe weekend.
IntaJET
 
GDB
Posts: 13617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am

intaJET wrote:
Raptormodeller wrote:
For all those complaining about the price. ZZ336 was going in for a C or D check which is going to be pretty expensive and lengthy anyway and our Favourite blonde etonian used it as an opportunity.
The labour costs ALONE when repainting a 747 in ba colours is about 170K, the paint ‘only’ 30K. This is a smaller airplane and a simpler paint job. However it is one off. A price of around 200K for the paint seems reasonable. The 900K figure most likely comes the maintenance costs included. The Daily Mail then did what the Daily Mail does. Hence the 900 000 pound cost we are told. Remember that UK press (print media in this case unless I’m mistaken) is statistically the least trustworthy in Europe.
I could be wrong, maybe it was only in for a lick of paint and the maybe the creative agency tasked with coming up with the artwork really did charge an insane amount.
I know this is the UK and more stupid things happen all the time (just look at NI’s status on abortion as an example) but the 900K figure is highly dubious and is most likely the total cost of maintenance + paint taken out of context by the press wanting to run a story. The fact that anetters are believing this figure and being so inflammatory about it is tragic at the best of times. And these aren’t the best of times. I see more pragmatism and realistic thinking on 4chan’s /x/ board than on (some) of the replies to this thread.


Except they cannot use it on operational taskings now.
We lived long enough with no dedicated long range VIP transport, generally choosing, unless security was a larger issue than in general, the most cost effective solution. Might be BA, or the RAF.
Having a VIP kit, that can be removed, on an otherwise standard Voyager was a decent compromise.

If you really need a gaudy livery to announce 'presence' on the world stage, there is something wrong.
Especially from a PM who has done all he can these past few years to diminish our actual, real world presence. Just so he could get to Downing Street.
He's not taken much more seriously than Trump, all the fancy paint jobs won't change that.

Going back a bit, Mrs 'Good Housekeeping' Maggie Thatcher used to INSIST on a RAF VC-10, while liking her choice of aircraft, often times that was more expensive to use than say a BA L1011.
(We carried The Queen on a Mid East tour in 1984 on a BA L1011-200, uniquely in BA history temporarily fitted with IRCM. Not one of the ex BA now RAF L1011-500's which at the time were undergoing tanker/transport conversion or were busy operationally).
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12947
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 pm

900k could also be 200k for the paint and labor, and 700k for the Tory affiliated company that designed the scheme...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Was Tony Blair an adult PM? Back in 2006 plans were quite advanced for the govt to buy 2 aircraft for VIP and Royal duties, Gordon Brown axed it in 2008 when he took over.

This reminds me of the beautiful DC-8..... :biggrin: .....


Is it still sitting at IGM awaiting its fate :?:


Ozair wrote:
If your adversary is close enough to see the Union Jack then the tanker is already dead...

The amusing part of this debate is the RAAF has recently started painting their aircraft in higher visibility markings because they were hard to identify…

Fighter pilot to Vespina: :? "Hey there mate, my IFF is on the blink and I'm not sure whose side you're on. Could you give me a broadside look of your tail before I light you up?" :flamed:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
rlwynn
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:35 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:15 am

The plane looks great
I can drive faster than you
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2561
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm

texl1649 wrote:
Always good to see the Union Jack proudly displayed.


As a Brit, let me say I'd rather see public money being spent where they are needed most: healthcare and social policies.

No vanity projects paid by others for the umpteenth stupid leader please. We've all had enough of those.

The standard A330 operated by Air Taken were fine the way they were.
Last edited by oldannyboy on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
rlwynn
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:35 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 pm

So if it got painted grey during it's c check then all would be good?
I can drive faster than you
 
chiki
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

The British unfortunately always complain on the slightest expenditure by the gvt. Having a VVIP plane was the right thing to do, even the fittings are not outrageous, they used an existing airplane, paint job was necessary as it will also promote the country as a tourism. The Germans bought 2 A350 after a problems of reliability with their plane. Give the gvt a break they have used as little money as possible. They did well in my book.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk
 
GDB
Posts: 13617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm

chiki wrote:
The British unfortunately always complain on the slightest expenditure by the gvt. Having a VVIP plane was the right thing to do, even the fittings are not outrageous, they used an existing airplane, paint job was necessary as it will also promote the country as a tourism. The Germans bought 2 A350 after a problems of reliability with their plane. Give the gvt a break they have used as little money as possible. They did well in my book.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk


You mention Germany, OK, when we reach anything like their metrics for Covid response, death rates (13 times more likely to die in a UK care home than German one), productivity, industrial investment, having effective regional government (which we lost under Thatcher), having governments with at least some leading members with actual relevant educations, (who cares about Johnson's poor degree in Classics, stuff that might have happened 2000 years ago), then maybe we have a damn right to complain.
As I noted further up, this is so typical of that buffoon, thankfully only 900K pissed away compared to the examples I noted further up the thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... test-trace

It's nothing to do whether we should have a dedicated, liveried VIP aircraft, it's about the ego of a man who has left us with the 3rd highest death rate from Covid on the planet.
He wants a special plane livery for him to fly around the world in, some cheek from a man who has put his ego before our place in the world. He already had one, like a child he didn't like the colour of it though.
He has made us a laughing stock, who wants to meet the clown anyway, he's pretty dim for a start.

And you think it will 'promote tourism?' Being ironic are you?

This whole story should be filed under the others.
The Garden Bridge that wasn't - 40-60M
Old water German cannons that the police told him were unsuitable and probably illegal, brought anyway, never used, scrapped.
The buses that no one wanted.
The always empty Thames cable car.
That's just as London Mayor. But we all paid for it.

At least Austin Powers was fictional, you couldn't make up Johnson, a thickos idea of a smart person.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm

rlwynn wrote:
The plane looks great

If you're referring to the re-engined DC-8, the fantastic livery and new CFM56s really did wonders for it. Unfortunately, those were not enough to prevent it from going tech at JNB. That led to the proposal to acquire dedicated transport which the Chancellor of the Exchequer then disapproved. So it would be downright self-serving if it were subsequently allowed when he moved to 10 Downing.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
chiki
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm

GDB wrote:
chiki wrote:
The British unfortunately always complain on the slightest expenditure by the gvt. Having a VVIP plane was the right thing to do, even the fittings are not outrageous, they used an existing airplane, paint job was necessary as it will also promote the country as a tourism. The Germans bought 2 A350 after a problems of reliability with their plane. Give the gvt a break they have used as little money as possible. They did well in my book.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk


You mention Germany, OK, when we reach anything like their metrics for Covid response, death rates (13 times more likely to die in a UK care home than German one), productivity, industrial investment, having effective regional government (which we lost under Thatcher), having governments with at least some leading members with actual relevant educations, (who cares about Johnson's poor degree in Classics, stuff that might have happened 2000 years ago), then maybe we have a damn right to complain.
As I noted further up, this is so typical of that buffoon, thankfully only 900K pissed away compared to the examples I noted further up the thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... test-trace

It's nothing to do whether we should have a dedicated, liveried VIP aircraft, it's about the ego of a man who has left us with the 3rd highest death rate from Covid on the planet.
He wants a special plane livery for him to fly around the world in, some cheek from a man who has put his ego before our place in the world. He already had one, like a child he didn't like the colour of it though.
He has made us a laughing stock, who wants to meet the clown anyway, he's pretty dim for a start.

And you think it will 'promote tourism?' Being ironic are you?

This whole story should be filed under the others.
The Garden Bridge that wasn't - 40-60M
Old water German cannons that the police told him were unsuitable and probably illegal, brought anyway, never used, scrapped.
The buses that no one wanted.
The always empty Thames cable car.
That's just as London Mayor. But we all paid for it.

At least Austin Powers was fictional, you couldn't make up Johnson, a thickos idea of a smart person.
Politics is difficult but for us avgeeks we are happy Royal Airforce having a dedicated plane and can't wait photograph it soon. My president actually hires a BBJ 737 from Dubai to Harare to fly him to Bulawayo 400 km away and bet it's costs more than your paint job. That's politicians for you.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27038
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 pm

So when Tony Blair was looking for a new VIP frame, was that going to have a unique color scheme? And if so, how did it compare to what we have with the Voyager?

As to the new scheme, looks okay to me. *shrug* I sure think the tail looks better than what American Airlines has on their birds.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12792
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 pm

chiki wrote:
The British unfortunately always complain on the slightest expenditure by the gvt. Having a VVIP plane was the right thing to do, even the fittings are not outrageous, they used an existing airplane, paint job was necessary as it will also promote the country as a tourism. The Germans bought 2 A350 after a problems of reliability with their plane. Give the gvt a break they have used as little money as possible. They did well in my book.

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk


The Germans bought 3 A350’s, kinda pathetic to be complaining about a 900k paint job IMO.
 
User avatar
kc135topboom
Posts: 11177
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Airplanes have to be painted from time to time to help control or prevent corrosion. I think the Voyager looks good. You don't need grey paint to complete a military mission. Former RAF tankers did not look a lot different than this one does.

The RAF's former VC-10 tankers:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ited-3.jpg

The RAF's former L-1011 Tristar tankers:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... up_arp.jpg

USAF KC-135s once looked like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e0/5e/8b/e05e ... 8731d8.jpg
 
rlwynn
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:35 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 am

I can drive faster than you
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12947
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 am

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Rampvan
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It's quite ridiculous how this issue has gotten a lot of your panties in a twist. The UK is one of the world largest economies, not having dedicated VIP fleet is odd IMO. Having to use a tanker in the VIP role is cheap and not a good look, neither is the paint job they gave her.

Updating the existing livery of the Bae 146's should have been more than ok.

Image

or a version of the Queens helicopter would have looked super classy.

Image


This isn't the current 146 scheme
Silver dream machine
 
intaJET
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:46 pm

Ozair wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Firstly; if a lack of camouflage is such a thing, why did the USS Vincennes shoot down Iran Air 655 ... at a range of however many miles it was?
Hell, they couldn't even identify it as an Airbus.

Secondly; if the UK ends up in another major conflict, one where every last RAF A330 is required to be available for duties in a hostile warzone, spending £½ million painting this a/c dull grey again is going to be the least of our worries. War is inevitably an expensive undertaking; paintjobs are cheap.

Failing that, we still have 13 camouflaged Voyagers available for full scale military ops, against just one that might have to remain in UK airspace servicing day-to-day training requirements, diplomatic missions, and medevac missions from positions safely distanced from hostile forces. My betting is that ZZ336 will be insufficient for these purposes alone, hence arguing for all 14 a/c to be in full wartime camouflage is spurious.

I was thinking about this last night in the context of the Falklands War. The Voyagers would play a comparatively very similar role to the QE2 and other civilian Ships Taken Up From Trade. I don’t think any of the trade ships were pained in a military scheme although many of them were equipped with some form of military equipment whether it was weapons or with the QE2 an anti-mine coil. Canberra sailed right into the thick of it with its standard civilian white and red paint scheme.

Image

GDB wrote:
Ozair, the RAAF bird still looks very restrained and operational compared Johnson's scheme on the RAF bird, perhaps the latter could be referred to as 'Wanksy'.

No doubt but its paint scheme has essentially zero relationship to its ability to conduct military operations. Whether it is a waste of money and doesn’t represent the UK very well, that I don’t really know or have an opinion on.


Greetings everyone,

Very interesting to read all "sides" here. Obviously, there are a number of posters who are personally, greatly opposed to the PM and I feel (by their comments) unfairly so (I am not a great supporter overall of this Govnt,, but credit where credit is due) . Yes, without doubt the RAF hold a venerable place in most Brit's hearts (Battle of Britain notwithstanding) , but we are a modernistic society, so must move forward, and appear and demonstrate to be doing so. The costs of the paint job/branding (which I personally like) was combined with the frame check which was a major contributor to the overall cost (opportunistically maybe, to inflame uninformed citizens). One pointer, Yes, the Canberra looked a little in need of a touch-up paint job, but I doubt that so many gallant troops during the evacuations at Dunkirk would check on the paint- work before boarding the "little ships". War situations are much the same, whenever encountered, Canberra served well.

Take care and be safe everyone.
IntaJET
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:04 pm

intaJET wrote:
There are currently NO British royal yachts, As far from perfect as we are here in the UK, we certainly beat many (most) countries on use of public funds. :)

An aberration which the sitting PM aims to correct, it seems (albeit not with another yacht). :old:

intaJET wrote:
There used to be a charter airline here in the UK called, "Britannia Airways" (based in Luton) morphed through Thomson Airlines and latterly TUI. They were great and I personally loved their breakfasts on-board (British brekkies), they were the first to deploy B737-200 in Europe.

A shame they dropped the name. This may be Lorde's cue..... :oops: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdLSGcgk00
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Rampvan
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Well when Labour get in (long shot I know) will there be the same uproar when the aircraft is painted grey again?
Silver dream machine
 
GDB
Posts: 13617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am

Rampvan wrote:
Well when Labour get in (long shot I know) will there be the same uproar when the aircraft is painted grey again?


Might not have to wait, though now with competent opposition leadership Johnson has more to fear, though not as much from his own party.
Given the Covid response was botched, huge drops in public support and confidence that has come from that, his party tend to me far more ruthless with it's leaders. A repaint to eradicate trace of Johnson might not even wait for the next scheduled repaint.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:16 pm

GDB wrote:
Rampvan wrote:
Well when Labour get in (long shot I know) will there be the same uproar when the aircraft is painted grey again?


Might not have to wait, though now with competent opposition leadership Johnson has more to fear, though not as much from his own party.
Given the Covid response was botched, huge drops in public support and confidence that has come from that, his party tend to me far more ruthless with it's leaders. A repaint to eradicate trace of Johnson might not even wait for the next scheduled repaint.

There was similar teeth gnashing when the RCAF's VIP-configured CC-150 Polaris was repainted from the dark grey to the current scheme, and there's been 2 elections and a change of government, and yet our bird has not been repainted back into the dark grey. And it appears there's no intention on doing so any time soon.
 
GDB
Posts: 13617
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: RAF's VIP A330 MRTT getting 'Austin Powers' Repaint

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:48 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
GDB wrote:
Rampvan wrote:
Well when Labour get in (long shot I know) will there be the same uproar when the aircraft is painted grey again?


Might not have to wait, though now with competent opposition leadership Johnson has more to fear, though not as much from his own party.
Given the Covid response was botched, huge drops in public support and confidence that has come from that, his party tend to me far more ruthless with it's leaders. A repaint to eradicate trace of Johnson might not even wait for the next scheduled repaint.

There was similar teeth gnashing when the RCAF's VIP-configured CC-150 Polaris was repainted from the dark grey to the current scheme, and there's been 2 elections and a change of government, and yet our bird has not been repainted back into the dark grey. And it appears there's no intention on doing so any time soon.


Yes but none of Canada's PM's in that period have been as grimly incompetent and childish at the same time, plus it is a more restrained livery.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchy and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos