Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aklrno
Topic Author

B707-like aircraft at PHX

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 am

I noticed two USAF aircraft at PHX today that looked like B-707s but they had no refueling boom or obvious unusual antennae. Anyone know what they are?

Boeing757100

Re: B707-like aircraft at PHX

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 am

Are they E-6 Mercury? Those are 707s re-engined with CFM56 and don't have any unusual antennas. It'd be helpful if you could upload a picture.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

LyleLanley

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:29 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
Are they E-6 Mercury? Those are 707s re-engined with CFM56 and don't have any unusual antennas. It'd be helpful if you could upload a picture.

"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20 pm

aklrno wrote:
I noticed two USAF aircraft at PHX today that looked like B-707s but they had no refueling boom or obvious unusual antennae. Anyone know what they are?

It would help if you qualified your statement a bit.

Are you very familiar with KC-135s? Or are they just background clutter for you?
Are you very familiar with PHX, or was this your first visit?
The point I am making is that a dedicated military spotter would be certain of his ID, whereas an airline enthusiast might be less confident.

For those who don't know; PHX is home to Arizona ANG KC-135s, and from some angles the refuelling boom is less obvious.

What should be obvious is the dull grey scheme on the KC-135, whereas E-6 Mercury are much lighter, with the E-8C J-Stars somewhere between the two, all dependent on light conditions. Or maybe you viewed these aircraft after dark?

Take your pick from these three; the first two are at PHX.

For my money its seems unlikely you saw two E-8s at PHX; one would be an event, two would suggest an imminent apocalypse.
Plus they are still running with the old JT-3D slimline engines, which you surely would have noticed.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

aklrno
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 pm

I don't often pass through PHX. Sorry I couldn't get a picture we taxied by quickly and I just had a few seconds. I thought I looked carefully for a refueling boom, but I may have missed it. They were the dull dark grey I've seen before on KC-135s. I certainly am not an experienced spotter, that's why I referred to them as 707-like. Narrow body, 4 engine, definitely in the 707 family.

I was unaware KC-135s were stationed at PHX. I've only seen them up close at air shows and a tour of Beale AFB. KC-135 seems to be the most likely answer to my question. Thanks.

LyleLanley

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:58 pm

aklrno wrote:
I don't often pass through PHX. Sorry I couldn't get a picture we taxied by quickly and I just had a few seconds. I thought I looked carefully for a refueling boom, but I may have missed it. They were the dull dark grey I've seen before on KC-135s. I certainly am not an experienced spotter, that's why I referred to them as 707-like. Narrow body, 4 engine, definitely in the 707 family.

I was unaware KC-135s were stationed at PHX. I've only seen them up close at air shows and a tour of Beale AFB. KC-135 seems to be the most likely answer to my question. Thanks.

If it helps, the boom could've been down for maintenance or attaching/removing the iron maiden. Could be the reason you didn't see the boom.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

rlwynn

Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:56 am

E-6 Mercury: It is not re engined. It was built that way.
I can drive faster than you

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:45 pm

It was most likely a KC135. I can't think of an obvious reason for an E6B or any other military 707 variant to be at PHX, other than a KC135.