Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

avnut43
Topic Author

F-14 - 50th Anniversary First Flight

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:19 am

The F-14 made its first flight 50 years ago on December 21. A remarkable and outstanding design. Gone, but not forgotten.

A few F-14 videos for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Great Planes - Grumman F-14 Tomcat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arJFZbfKAg

Fighter Fling 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY&t=1135s

F-14 Design Evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUCixAeZ0A

F-14 Tomcat Scenes from The Final Countdown HD Part1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4bshTKiwYc

F-14 Tomcat Scenes from "The Final Countdown" HD Part2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOsXNF_ZoM

F-14 Tomcat Scenes from "The Final Countdown" HD Part3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M74yB9duRc

744SPX

Re: F-14 - 50th Anniversary First Flight

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:31 pm

This is a really good one too:
F-14 "One of a Kind" Standoff Fighter Tactics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgtkkQ6IN4

tomcat

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Thank you both for these videos.

Another nice one here:
Grumman F-14 Tomcat in HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45rzmDaABI

Ozair

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:13 pm

For anyone interested in the technical capability and limitations of the aircraft have a read of the NATOPS, TACMAN and stores limitations documents here, https://mega.nz/folder/WR9hwQoK#NXGsaNB ... r/HY9VGTSa

Some very interesting info above if you know where to look. A, B and D data is all available.

744SPX

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:06 am

Thanks Ozair, nice find. I was at Miramar in '90 and worked on the A model. As the NATOPS confirm, the A+ (and D) were not allowed to use AB on takeoff from carrier decks. Didn't allow them to take off using AB on land either (at the time, at least). Asymmetric thrust with the increased power was the reason given, but that never sat right with me.

VF-124 and VF-24 were the two operational A+ squadrons at Miramar then.

Unfortunately the F110 was too little too late. The original intended engine, the F401 (unlike the F110, specifically designed for the F-14), was 800 lbs lighter and had 1200 lbs more thrust, and that was back in '73. If it had continued development along with its smaller F100 sibling, it would have been putting out ~34,000 lbs of thrust at the time the heavier and (maddeningly) lowest thrust version of the F110 was installed on the F-14A+ and D.
The F110 was designed from the outset to be able to fit in the same engine bay as the F100. The F401 had a larger fan, additional LP stages, and was designed to fit in the intentionally larger engine bay of the F-14. It was also a true Mach 2.5+ engine like the F100 and TF-30.

I will reiterate: The F-14 was designed for a bigger and more powerful engine than the F110/F100. Most people don't realize that. The Tomcat was meant from the outset to have 10,000 lbs more thrust than the F-15. It ended its career with 5000 lbs LESS. (F-15E/EX).

In terms of kinematic performance, the F-14B of 1973 is the ideal Tomcat. The D packed on 4500lbs of additional weight, deleted the wing glove vanes (which gave the Tomcat the ability to pull 7g at mach 2) and gave less thrust than the 1973 vintage F401.

We never got to see how great the Tomcat could have been (and was really supposed to be from the start) It was such a good design though, that few noticed.

cjg225

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:59 am

The best that ever was, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for posting about a major anniversary.

9MMPQ

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Not completely gone yet. Still active in Iran, some photo's even pop up on here fromt time to time too. If you can find it Osprey have a book about it's combat history in the Iran - Iraq war which is a good read titled ''Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat''. I picked up my copy at the NAS Oceana airshow with the last F-14 demos. Those were some sights to behold.

estorilm

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:55 pm

9MMPQ wrote:
Not completely gone yet. Still active in Iran, some photo's even pop up on here fromt time to time too. If you can find it Osprey have a book about it's combat history in the Iran - Iraq war which is a good read titled ''Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat''. I picked up my copy at the NAS Oceana airshow with the last F-14 demos. Those were some sights to behold.

Political issues aside, they're still dominating the skies in those regions as well... There was a recent interview with Col. Mazandarani who has 16 kills in his Iranian F-14. :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOElPy7CfE0

Also for the record, all 8 out of 8 of his AIM-54 Phoenix shots scored kills. :shock:

9MMPQ

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks for the share. Definitely some good stories from Iran. I recall reading Gulf War stories from US Naval aviators that they found Iraqi aircraft turning back when they had a hint an AWG-9 radar was in the skies with them. Seems those experiences from Iran carried over quite a bit.

WKTaylor

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm

Trivia... The F-14 prototype was lost after just a few flying hours due to total hydraulic failure.

The loss of pressure was caused by failure of one or more titanium hydraulic tube assys that cracked.

The hard lesson learned was that titanium tubing had to be stress-relieved after fabrication. This is accomplished by over-pressurizing the tubing for a short time [very carefully]... in a process called autofrettaging.

The jet crashed during the emergency approach short of the runway [Bethpage?] when it departed controled flight. The test flight crew safely ejected.

Because it was a test flight, the mishap was well documented by 'video'. Go to YouTube search ''F-14 Prototype crash'.

cjg225

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 am

WKTaylor wrote:
Trivia... The F-14 prototype was lost after just a few flying hours due to total hydraulic failure.

The loss of pressure was caused by failure of one or more titanium hydraulic tube assys that cracked.

The hard lesson learned was that titanium tubing had to be stress-relieved after fabrication. This is accomplished by over-pressurizing the tubing for a short time [very carefully]... in a process called autofrettaging.

The jet crashed during the emergency approach short of the runway [Bethpage?] when it departed controled flight. The test flight crew safely ejected.

Because it was a test flight, the mishap was well documented by 'video'. Go to YouTube search ''F-14 Prototype crash'.

I shed a tear watching that.

CX747

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:10 am

744SPX wrote:
Thanks Ozair, nice find. I was at Miramar in '90 and worked on the A model. As the NATOPS confirm, the A+ (and D) were not allowed to use AB on takeoff from carrier decks. Didn't allow them to take off using AB on land either (at the time, at least). Asymmetric thrust with the increased power was the reason given, but that never sat right with me.

Unfortunately the F110 was too little too late. The original intended engine, the F401 (unlike the F110, specifically designed for the F-14), was 800 lbs lighter and had 1200 lbs more thrust, and that was back in '73. If it had continued development along with its smaller F100 sibling, it would have been putting out ~34,000 lbs of thrust at the time the heavier and (maddeningly) lowest thrust version of the F110 was installed on the F-14A+ and D.
The F110 was designed from the outset to be able to fit in the same engine bay as the F100. The F401 had a larger fan, additional LP stages, and was designed to fit in the intentionally larger engine bay of the F-14. It was also a true Mach 2.5+ engine like the F100 and TF-30.

I will reiterate: The F-14 was designed for a bigger and more powerful engine than the F110/F100. Most people don't realize that. The Tomcat was meant from the outset to have 10,000 lbs more thrust than the F-15. It ended its career with 5000 lbs LESS. (F-15E/EX).

In terms of kinematic performance, the F-14B of 1973 is the ideal Tomcat. The D packed on 4500lbs of additional weight, deleted the wing glove vanes (which gave the Tomcat the ability to pull 7g at mach 2) and gave less thrust than the 1973 vintage F401.

We never got to see how great the Tomcat could have been (and was really supposed to be from the start) It was such a good design though, that few noticed.

Outstanding information. A truly great design. Sadly the USN did not go with the Tomcat21. It would have put them in such a better place than they are now.

Ozair

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:07 am

CX747 wrote:
744SPX wrote:

Outstanding information. A truly great design. Sadly the USN did not go with the Tomcat21. It would have put them in such a better place than they are now.

I don't see how a Tomcat 21 would have changed that much for the USN. It would have retained a fighter with a longer range but all the Tomcat 21 changes wouldn't have altered significantly the number of man-hours to keep the aircraft in the air. SH with its shorter range and lesser payload would still be less than half the cost to fly and even less to overall sustain. It would also WVR whip a Tomcat of any upgraded variety anytime. In BVR the reduced RCS of the SH may also have allowed it to gain parity with the Tomcat 21.

texl1649

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 pm

An enormous amount of the Tomcat maintenance I think was around the radar/ancient electronics/engines (and the man hours per flight hour were, still, lower than the F-4's which were again largely driven by all of the pneumatic/non-solid state stuff/plumbing in the planes).

I really think a lot of that was capable of being upgraded in a manner that would have driven...much lower man hour requirements. We'll never really know; you have to go back a ways now to look to folks who actually worked on it/maintained it, and are/were also familiar with the SH systems, but then there's a chance of bias. Some entertaining available reading is out there;

https://wethearmed.com/military-and-law ... never-was/

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... ooked-like

Ultimately, the supercruise capability, along with the massive cost savings avoiding the 'all new/derivative' SH development, would have likely kept it in the air for at least 30 years a la F-15EX, imho. If the Tomcat had not lost it's prime de facto export customer and had been supported as the USAF did with the F-15E iteration by the USN (ground attack capabilities/development), I think it's possible the USN might have stayed out of the JSF program, and that would have also led to a 'better' F-35 (no carrier variant), but we can all just agree to disagree.

cjg225

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:08 pm

texl1649 wrote:
An enormous amount of the Tomcat maintenance I think was around the radar/ancient electronics/engines (and the man hours per flight hour were, still, lower than the F-4's which were again largely driven by all of the pneumatic/non-solid state stuff/plumbing in the planes).

I really think a lot of that was capable of being upgraded in a manner that would have driven...much lower man hour requirements. We'll never really know; you have to go back a ways now to look to folks who actually worked on it/maintained it, and are/were also familiar with the SH systems, but then there's a chance of bias. Some entertaining available reading is out there;

https://wethearmed.com/military-and-law ... never-was/

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/2 ... ooked-like

Ultimately, the supercruise capability, along with the massive cost savings avoiding the 'all new/derivative' SH development, would have likely kept it in the air for at least 30 years a la F-15EX, imho. If the Tomcat had not lost it's prime de facto export customer and had been supported as the USAF did with the F-15E iteration by the USN (ground attack capabilities/development), I think it's possible the USN might have stayed out of the JSF program, and that would have also led to a 'better' F-35 (no carrier variant), but we can all just agree to disagree.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the share.

The F-14 was, like it's namesake, very "feline" to me. Even if it was a big, heavy bird, without reference to just how big it was (like any shot in the sky), it just looked like a cat (plus, getting low for the cat shot helps with the imagery). But... that ST 2010 rendering makes it look like a fat cat, like it really put on the pounds up front.

LMP737

Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:43 pm

texl1649 wrote:

The AWG-9 was definitely a maintenance intensive system. Not uncommon for systems that were ahead of their times when they first came out.

Having a 8345 NEC I know a little about the TF-30 and it's issues. Did it belong in a fighter aircraft, absolutely not. From a maintenance perspective they were not the biggest driver in terms of man hours per flight or down aircraft. Now if you did have an issue like A/B blow out or no light you had to figure it out with old fashioned troubleshooting. Unlike the GE F110 the TF-30 did not give you fault codes to tell you what was wrong.

What was a much bigger driver were the flight controls and wiring issues. Since it was swept wing aircraft with a mechanical flight control system maintenance on that system was a constant headache. And of course the wiring issues with the F-14 was probably the biggest problem maintenance wise. Early production blocks had was was called Poly X. In fact, it wasn't till the 337 F-14 off the line that Poly X had been completely purged. The problem is the wiring they picked to replace it was not much better, Kapton. Which IMHO is synonymous with junk. It wasn't until the the B and D models started coming off the line where Kapton was completely phased out and replaced with Spec 55.

http://www.pogoarchives.org/m/tr/tripwi ... ndix-i.pdf

texl1649 wrote:
I really think a lot of that was capable of being upgraded in a manner that would have driven...much lower man hour requirements. We'll never really know; you have to go back a ways now to look to folks who actually worked on it/maintained it, and are/were also familiar with the SH systems, but then there's a chance of bias. Some entertaining available reading is out there;.

With every new generation of aircraft lessons learned are incorporated. Example, the Super Hornet was not wired with Kapton. And yes, the SH has lower maintenance man hours that the Tomcat. However there are contributing factors to this that are not talked about. A brand new SH is going to have lower man hours than a fifteen to twenty year old Tomcat. Also, the way NavAir did maintenance contributed to the difference in maintenance manhours.

With Navy aircraft engine accessories stay with the airframe. On the A model the TBO for the TF-30 was 770 hours, with the GE F110 it was around 1200. Changing engines on the Tomcat was easy. What raised your man hours was that you had to take off all the engine accessories before you removed the motor. After you installed the new one you had to put them all back on. That greatly increases the time spent doing an engine change. On the Super Hornet all the accessories are airframe mounted so all you do is remove and replace the engine. If the Navy did it like civilian aviation the accessories would stay with the motor. For whatever reason though NavAir doesn't do it that way.

If Grumman/Navy had wired the F-14 with quality wiring from the get go reliability would have been much better than it was during it's time in service.

LyleLanley

Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:04 pm

LMP737 wrote:
... Kapton wiring...

Good ol' Kapton wire flashovers. Where a minor problem with one wire/system can now affect all the wires and systems in the entire bundle!

Kapton wiring is like the Bee Gees: Seemed a good idea at the time, but looking back was just terrible.

LMP737

Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:07 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
Good ol' Kapton wire flashovers. Where a minor problem with one wire/system can now affect all the wires and systems in the entire bundle!

Kapton wiring is like the Bee Gees: Seemed a good idea at the time, but looking back was just terrible.

Truly the bane of military and civilian aviation. McDonnel Douglas in all their cheapness used it extensively in the MD-11. FedEx and UPS are paying the price for it now.

744SPX

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 am

The J-93-GE-3 on the XB-70 had all the accessories attached to the engine as well. Supposedly they could change an engine in 20 minutes.

LyleLanley

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:32 am

LMP737 wrote:
Truly the bane of military and civilian aviation. McDonnel Douglas in all their cheapness used it extensively in the MD-11. FedEx and UPS are paying the price for it now.

I believe it! There was a KC-10 at NAS Rota awhile back (04?) that evacuated all 80 onboard due to smoke and fumes caused by kapton flashover in the pool room (forward baggage compartment). Hopefully freight mx is up to the task!

Little doubt an updated F-14 would've benefitted from many of the sorts of technical and sustainability refreshes similar to the ones the SH had over the original Hornet. Little things like flight control updates, alleviating the swing wing airbags, etc. all add up in the reliability matrix. Not to mention panels that don't need a speed wrench to be opened in order to turn the jet. More gas in an updated leading edge that could fulfill the original intention of the glove vanes, without the mechanical complexity they brought, is always a plus.

Such a beautiful jet. A pity we have to fly across 11 time zones to see one airborne, today.

WKTaylor

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:52 am

Kapton = Crapton … according to an old mechanic friend of mine...

LMP737

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:40 am

texl1649 wrote:

The F-14 is a tale of "what if's". What if the Tomcat had been built with quality wiring from the very start? One of the factors in the decision to go with the Super Hornet instead of the F-14D were the maintenance man hours. One of the biggest contributors to those hours, if not the biggest, were wiring issues. What if the F-14 had a motor meant for a fighter from the get go? There were reasons why the DOD shelved the F401. One, it had developmental issues and post Vietnam budget cutbacks meant something had to give. You have to wonder the blood and treasure that would have been saved if they had stuck it out.

What if the Tomcat embraced the air-to-ground role from the start instead of having he mentality of "not a pound for air to ground. By the time they had embraced it it was too late. You have to wonder if it had been viewed as a multirole aircraft instead of just defender of the fleet if things would have turned out differently.

One can't help but wonder if the Tomcat had been allowed to evolve like the F-15 has what potent aircraft it cound have become. Fly-by wire flight controls as found in the new F-15EX to address another one of the F-14 maintenance issues, the complexity of the mechanical flight controls. Maybe even vectored thrust.

texl1649

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:50 pm

LMP737 wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

The F-14 is a tale of "what if's". What if the Tomcat had been built with quality wiring from the very start? One of the factors in the decision to go with the Super Hornet instead of the F-14D were the maintenance man hours. One of the biggest contributors to those hours, if not the biggest, were wiring issues. What if the F-14 had a motor meant for a fighter from the get go? There were reasons why the DOD shelved the F401. One, it had developmental issues and post Vietnam budget cutbacks meant something had to give. You have to wonder the blood and treasure that would have been saved if they had stuck it out.

What if the Tomcat embraced the air-to-ground role from the start instead of having he mentality of "not a pound for air to ground. By the time they had embraced it it was too late. You have to wonder if it had been viewed as a multirole aircraft instead of just defender of the fleet if things would have turned out differently.

One can't help but wonder if the Tomcat had been allowed to evolve like the F-15 has what potent aircraft it cound have become. Fly-by wire flight controls as found in the new F-15EX to address another one of the F-14 maintenance issues, the complexity of the mechanical flight controls. Maybe even vectored thrust.

All of that is very true, LMP. It’s just amazing to me that the F-14 has been retired (basically) and the F-15, of all aircraft from the 70’s, has new export customers/production ongoing not just for the US, but probably for Israel/SA/QA etc, and possibly even India. Thirty years ago, I’d have thought you insane if you posited that to me about 2021 prospects for the two.

The ultimate ‘what if’ about the F-14 to me remains how it might have compared vs. an F-15EX today, with equivalent upgrades, and if Northrop Grumman were still in the tacair production business how...that might also have impacted even the YF-23 had it been marketed just a tad better (ironically, I think it was really also designed around easier maintenance vs. the F-22). Alas, we’ll never know.

LightningZ71

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:20 pm

The weight savings from the engines, full fbw system, the reduced weight of modern electronics, and some likely other advanced materials being incorporated into the airframe, would have made for a notably improved platform throughout the flight envelope.

Newark727

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Very cool photo on the front page today:

I had no idea that any F-14s were painted like this in U.S. service.

HaveBlue

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:40 am

Newark727 wrote:

Me either, I thought you had mistakenly posted an Iranian F-14 at first but that is USN so maybe an aggressor.

Ozair

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:05 am

HaveBlue wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Me either, I thought you had mistakenly posted an Iranian F-14 at first but that is USN so maybe an aggressor.

Apparently it is an Iranian F-14 but wearing USAF markings for the ferry flight to Iran although flown by USN pilots...

Article here, http://flitetime.net/iran.html

Dutchy

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:16 am

HaveBlue wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Aggressor F-14 from Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center. It is indeed painted with that paint scheme to mimic the Iranian fleet.

Ozair

Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
HaveBlue wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Aggressor F-14 from Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center. It is indeed painted with that paint scheme to mimic the Iranian fleet.

Interesting, I wasn't aware the USN had ever used F-14s in a dedicated Aggressor role. Same paint scheme but slightly different markings to the delivery flights to Iran and obviously a different era.

LMP737

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Newark727 wrote:

When Top Gun was still at Miramar they had a F-14 painted like this, around 1992. Except it had an Iranian flag on the tail and IIAF painted on the side. Not sure if this is the same airplane or not, both were A models of course. There was also an F-14 painted up in USSR camo, complete with red star on the vertical.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-nfws-07.htm

LMP737

Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm

Here's a "what might have been" rendition of an F-14 Stealthcat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JUcHFQc8IA

9MMPQ

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Newark727 wrote:

Going back there was another one, the 80th ordered Iranian F-14 (BuNo 160378) never made it to Iran as the revolution swept through the country before it could be delivered. The aircraft was held & put into storage before being reactivated in 1986 & assigned to the Pacific Missile test center, still in the Iranian Asia minor camouflage scheme. It eventually moved on to the Naval Air Warfare Center and was then repainted in the standard Navy grey, the books i have are not quite clear on the exact time but that seems to have been done in the early 90's.