Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6179
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:44 pm

Nomadd wrote:
76er wrote:
Brilliant videos. What worries me, Elon comes across as being extremely tired.

I talked with him till 1AM once. Remembering to sleep isn't one of his strong points when he has something to do or say.


Yeah. There is still something to do... no matter the time.

In all the videos, Musk comes across as a guy who deeply understands and cares about technical matters. And you better come prepared if you walk up to him.

Armin Laschet, candidate for German Chancellor, asked Musk in English: “What is the future of cars, hydrogen or electric?”

Musk answers with a laugh, and sets him straight. Then, Laschet says, in German, that there is still a "scientific debate" about the propulsion method.

https://www.politico.eu/article/tesla-e ... -campaign/
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 am

It’s one of the reasons for him and other wealthy folk can be such a nightmare for some people. He’s clearly got a vision, a dream, and the desire to make it happen no matter what. But when you’re just trying to make a paycheck…you’re not quite as willing to live and breath the project.

Definitely an interesting character though.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5917
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:17 am

Well, SpaceX may finally launch some stuff into space today. It had been a while...

CRS 23 is slated to launch early morning from the Space Coast, towards the ISS, using booster B1061 on its 4th flight.
If all goes well, the same booster will make the inaugural landing on SpaceX's new autonomous droneship, 'A Shortfall of Gravitas'.

'Of course I still love you' has been relocated permanently to the West Coast, where it will assist launches there. The first of which should be the first polar Starlink V2.0 launch in September using the venerable B1049 which was trucked there after its last mission.

SpaceX has definitely been very busy lately, most visibly in Texas, but they haven't launched anything in almost 2 months.
Whereas this would be completely normal for any other launch provider, we had been spoiled with multiple launches per month until recently.
 
zanl188
Posts: 3868
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:58 pm

CRS-23 launch with first stage landing on A Shortfall Of Gravitas…

https://youtu.be/x-KiDqxAMU0

I was hoping first stage landing video would be better with the new drone ship. They may have some more tweaking to do.

Space flight related item: there is a shortage of LOX across the southern US. Apparently related to hospital demand for patient O2.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14667
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:41 am

flyingturtle wrote:
In all the videos, Musk comes across as a guy who deeply understands and cares about technical matters. And you better come prepared if you walk up to him.


but not in all Musk videos..... when he talks about building tunnels 100 times cheaper, building vertical launch electric jets, air hockey tables in vacuum chambers and cold gas thrusters on Teslas and how to "refuel" them en route he can easily appear as understanding physics on elementary school level. And he of all people should know how terrible the specific impulse of those is.....

Armin Laschet, candidate for German Chancellor, asked Musk in English: “What is the future of cars, hydrogen or electric?”

Musk answers with a laugh, and sets him straight. Then, Laschet says, in German, that there is still a "scientific debate" about the propulsion method.


No surprise from someone that tries to make money with utility scale battery systems ..... good luck getting electricity from summer to winter with those. So there will be hydrogen, and lots of it, and where to turn that back into electricity is a question of heat requirements in those cars.

best regards
Thomas
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
In all the videos, Musk comes across as a guy who deeply understands and cares about technical matters. And you better come prepared if you walk up to him.


but not in all Musk videos..... when he talks about building tunnels 100 times cheaper, building vertical launch electric jets, air hockey tables in vacuum chambers and cold gas thrusters on Teslas and how to "refuel" them en route he can easily appear as understanding physics on elementary school level. And he of all people should know how terrible the specific impulse of those is.....

Armin Laschet, candidate for German Chancellor, asked Musk in English: “What is the future of cars, hydrogen or electric?”

Musk answers with a laugh, and sets him straight. Then, Laschet says, in German, that there is still a "scientific debate" about the propulsion method.


No surprise from someone that tries to make money with utility scale battery systems ..... good luck getting electricity from summer to winter with those. So there will be hydrogen, and lots of it, and where to turn that back into electricity is a question of heat requirements in those cars.

best regards
Thomas

Wrong forum/topic really but as much as I like fuel cells and the idea of using hydrogen, unfortunately hydrogen will not be a usable fuel source for a long time.
https://issues.org/romm-hydrogen-clean-energy/

Tugg
 
mxaxai
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Francoflier wrote:
SpaceX has definitely been very busy lately, most visibly in Texas, but they haven't launched anything in almost 2 months.
Whereas this would be completely normal for any other launch provider, we had been spoiled with multiple launches per month until recently.

Apparently this break was mostly due to an upgrade to future Starlink satellites, which will feature laser crosslinks from now on. https://spacenews.com/all-future-starli ... rosslinks/
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5917
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 am

And those laser-equipped sats just made it to orbit, pushed by good ol' B1049 which successfully landed on good ol' OCISLY.
That makes it join the exclusive 10 spaceflights hardware club, the second F9 booster to do so after its brother B1051.

The Inspiration 4 mission is next, in a couple of days, from the other coast.
 
User avatar
afterburner33
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:37 am

Does anyone know if/when the proposed Starship SN20/SuperHeavy Booster 4 orbital test flight is meant to be happening?
 
User avatar
BirdBrain
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 pm

afterburner33 wrote:
Does anyone know if/when the proposed Starship SN20/SuperHeavy Booster 4 orbital test flight is meant to be happening?


The short answer is probably no one knows for a fact. The long answer is that a lot needs to happen before actual flight like cryo testing, static fire testing, maybe some engine change than static fire again. Only then and when flight approval is in place and weather cooperating, it could be in my estimate sometime in October probably at the earliest. But that's just me. :whiteflag:
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Francoflier wrote:
And those laser-equipped sats just made it to orbit, pushed by good ol' B1049 which successfully landed on good ol' OCISLY.
That makes it join the exclusive 10 spaceflights hardware club, the second F9 booster to do so after its brother B1051.

The Inspiration 4 mission is next, in a couple of days, from the other coast.


Fingers crossed and looking forward to that one.

afterburner33, have you looked at Marcus House's page on You Tube, he's one of plenty closely covering SpaceX but each Saturday he does an approx 15-20 min look at the weeks events in spaceflight, with a great emphasis on activities at Boca Chica, the frenetic construction and testing with plenty of overflight and from the ground images. I'm thinking that might be a good way of keeping track and getting a handle on dates etc.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6179
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 pm

In about five hours, a Crew Dragon lifts off for a sightseeing flight. The crew has been advised against trying to dock with the ISS.

The stream will be alive in forty minutes: https://www.spacex.com/launches/
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
In about five hours, a Crew Dragon lifts off for a sightseeing flight. The crew has been advised against trying to dock with the ISS.

The stream will be alive in forty minutes: https://www.spacex.com/launches/

"The crew has been advised against trying to dock with the ISS."?? Guess there must be a button (button "bubble" on screen) to click that says "Go to ISS". :eyebrow:

Tugg
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:13 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
In about five hours, a Crew Dragon lifts off for a sightseeing flight. The crew has been advised against trying to dock with the ISS.

The stream will be alive in forty minutes: https://www.spacex.com/launches/


Would be difficult considering it’s orbit will be higher, 575km IIRC, plus no docking equipment.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13956
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:52 pm

GDB wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
In about five hours, a Crew Dragon lifts off for a sightseeing flight. The crew has been advised against trying to dock with the ISS.

The stream will be alive in forty minutes: https://www.spacex.com/launches/


Would be difficult considering it’s orbit will be higher, 575km IIRC, plus no docking equipment.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv01sSq44w

Posting the stream.

T -1h:10m
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:12 am

Nice launch. Nice views of both stages in space with the sunlight making it really cool. Fun watching the "non-professional" crew fist bumping and hamming it up a bit. This is just a fun and amazing chance of several lifetimes for most humans.

Love watching the first stage fall like a brick (a controlled brick).

Tugg
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:19 am

15 mins in, so far all good. Spectacular really!
 
wingman
Posts: 4174
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:54 am

The NYT’s states that this is the furthest from Earth humans have been since the Apollo missions, thats a remarkable achievement to cede to mere humans. 3 days in space can be yours for just $65M per night. Bonkers.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 am

wingman wrote:
The NYT’s states that this is the furthest from Earth humans have been since the Apollo missions, thats a remarkable achievement to cede to mere humans. 3 days in space can be yours for just $65M per night. Bonkers.


I believe there have been a few Hubble repair missions that have gone slightly further. It does seem incredible, I always imagine the ISS to be way up there but when you put it on a bigger scale, it’s not all that far

It’s also fun to think that the altitude they’re at was reserved for test pilot-turned astronauts during Apollo, then highly trained specialists for Hubble, and now 4 civilians just up there to take a look around.

Reminds me of the story of the sr71 passing a Concorde. Here are these pilots in pressure suits cruising past people in suits drinking champagne
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Interestingly for a mission that was intended to be publicity/fundraising, there has been no updates on the mission for almost 16 hours.

Plenty of rumors, crew had some space sickness, Netflix exclusivity, etc. And allegedly it might just come down to the crew wants their privacy.

Either way it’s odd, make a huge spectacle of the fact that it’s the first all civilian mission, fundraiser etc etc and then once it’s up…total blackout
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6179
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:09 pm

FGITD wrote:

Either way it’s odd, make a huge spectacle of the fact that it’s the first all civilian mission, fundraiser etc etc and then once it’s up…total blackout


Yes. I've googled for news, but nothing. The silence is in a way... shocking.
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 pm

FGITD wrote:
Interestingly for a mission that was intended to be publicity/fundraising, there has been no updates on the mission for almost 16 hours.

Plenty of rumors, crew had some space sickness, Netflix exclusivity, etc. And allegedly it might just come down to the crew wants their privacy.

Either way it’s odd, make a huge spectacle of the fact that it’s the first all civilian mission, fundraiser etc etc and then once it’s up…total blackout


Likely Netflix, they did stream the launch on You Tube, I stuck with Space X then to Tim Dodd’s reaction! So they might have the rights to orbital activities too.
Sleep period but yes maybe space adaptation syndrome too. By chance the other day reading ‘Skylab. America’s First Space Station’ by David J Shayler, when SL4 Commander Bill Pouge suffered it early on, badly too, way worse than Borman on Apollo 8.
Though Pouge was a rookie commander he was also not only an ex USAF Thunderbird pilot, he had performed very well on the centrifuge and other tests, they called him ‘Iron Belly’ with ‘cement in his inner ear’, so this was a real surprise in the Astronaut Office, componded when the crew tried to cover it up.

To think that Rusty Schweickart likely lost his chances for the Moon and even more likely, the seat Pouge had, due to the effects of space adaptation, due to Apollo 9 being the first spacecraft, when docked, to have real room inside thus making it more likely. Isn’t Dragon even with four crew but not much equipment as such, rather like that?
Going back again, would you want anything like Apollo 10’s all veteran crew hunting for a floating turd streamed live?
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 pm

FGITD wrote:
Either way it’s odd, make a huge spectacle of the fact that it’s the first all civilian mission, fundraiser etc etc and then once it’s up…total blackout


You should not be surprised. They are saving all the videos until post production. Don't want to preempt their soon to be released next episode on Netflix.

bt
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 am

Definitely seems to be the case.

Oh well.

Not the best gauge, but based on the Internet space nerd reaction, hype for the mission has pretty much dropped to 0. And generally, if the nerds stop caring, the general public doesn’t even know it’s happening.

Apparently the documentary will be on Netflix sept 30, by which point the mission will be over, and no one will care.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5917
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:37 am

GDB wrote:
Sleep period but yes maybe space adaptation syndrome too. By chance the other day reading ‘Skylab. America’s First Space Station’ by David J Shayler, when SL4 Commander Bill Pouge suffered it early on, badly too, way worse than Borman on Apollo 8.
Though Pouge was a rookie commander he was also not only an ex USAF Thunderbird pilot, he had performed very well on the centrifuge and other tests, they called him ‘Iron Belly’ with ‘cement in his inner ear’, so this was a real surprise in the Astronaut Office, componded when the crew tried to cover it up.


Interestingly, space/zero-g sickness seems to not be linked to motion sickness. There are people who seem impervious to even the most extreme sickness-inducing motions on Earth yet who have a hard time adapting to space, and vice-versa. It is apparently impossible to predict how bad, if at all, anyone will suffer from space adaptation syndrome.

No matter how bad they're having it, at least they won't have a space sickness scale named after them, unlike Senator Jake Garn whose name now not only refers to one but also represents the highest level on that scale:

When asked about the origins of "Garn", Robert E. Stevenson said:[11]
Jake Garn was sick, was pretty sick. I don't know whether we should tell stories like that. But anyway, Jake Garn, he has made a mark in the Astronaut Corps because he represents the maximum level of space sickness that anyone can ever attain, and so the mark of being totally sick and totally incompetent is one Garn. Most guys will get maybe to a tenth Garn if that high. And within the Astronaut Corps, he forever will be remembered by that.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_adaptation_syndrome

...Now that's just mean. :lol:


If they're really sick up there, and since symptoms usually last a few days, it might end up being a memorable mission to them for all the wrong reasons... Imagine paying dozens of millions of dollars for a 3-day nightmare in space.
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:25 am

Francoflier wrote:
GDB wrote:
Sleep period but yes maybe space adaptation syndrome too. By chance the other day reading ‘Skylab. America’s First Space Station’ by David J Shayler, when SL4 Commander Bill Pouge suffered it early on, badly too, way worse than Borman on Apollo 8.
Though Pouge was a rookie commander he was also not only an ex USAF Thunderbird pilot, he had performed very well on the centrifuge and other tests, they called him ‘Iron Belly’ with ‘cement in his inner ear’, so this was a real surprise in the Astronaut Office, componded when the crew tried to cover it up.


Interestingly, space/zero-g sickness seems to not be linked to motion sickness. There are people who seem impervious to even the most extreme sickness-inducing motions on Earth yet who have a hard time adapting to space, and vice-versa. It is apparently impossible to predict how bad, if at all, anyone will suffer from space adaptation syndrome.

No matter how bad they're having it, at least they won't have a space sickness scale named after them, unlike Senator Jake Garn whose name now not only refers to one but also represents the highest level on that scale:

When asked about the origins of "Garn", Robert E. Stevenson said:[11]
Jake Garn was sick, was pretty sick. I don't know whether we should tell stories like that. But anyway, Jake Garn, he has made a mark in the Astronaut Corps because he represents the maximum level of space sickness that anyone can ever attain, and so the mark of being totally sick and totally incompetent is one Garn. Most guys will get maybe to a tenth Garn if that high. And within the Astronaut Corps, he forever will be remembered by that.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_adaptation_syndrome

...Now that's just mean. :lol:


If they're really sick up there, and since symptoms usually last a few days, it might end up being a memorable mission to them for all the wrong reasons... Imagine paying dozens of millions of dollars for a 3-day nightmare in space.


This is true, they found the hard way that even being top test pilots did not make you immune, even Garn was an experienced flyer.
The first person to throw up in space was the second man to orbit, Titov, who spend a day in space and there was some room and plenty of time for it to be brought on.
Kept quiet about at the time of course.

I expect it is the case, for all of the speculation this is Netflix controlling the ‘content’, they will issue updates to suit them and hopefully the crew, it must have been agreed with prior to the flight.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 pm

OK, we have some pictures finally:
https://twitter.com/inspiration4x/statu ... 2564696065

Tugg
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Tugger wrote:
OK, we have some pictures finally:
https://twitter.com/inspiration4x/statu ... 2564696065

Tugg


Great pics, enough to make me jealous!
Every time I see a Crew Dragon mission I think ‘at last, a 21st century spacecraft’. Being reused, not just the booster.
Nice to see a positive message from Bezos too, c’mon Jeff why not forget HLS at least for now and press on with the engines and indeed New Glenn.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Now I know what I want if I ever win the big lottery jack pot.

bt
 
GDB
Posts: 14401
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Well the first spacex webcast had the bad luck of the Earth being in darkness when they went to the big window but Hayley with all her acrobatics seems not to be bothered by space adaptation syndrome, nor do the rest of the crew it seems, albeit in a fairly short segment.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Well another bit of potentially good news for SpaceX and the Super Heavy booster and Starship:
The Federal Aviation Administration released a draft environmental review of SpaceX's plans for orbital launches from South Texas on Friday, kicking off a 30-day public comment period.
[...]
For the large majority of these analyses, the FAA document finds "no significant impacts." The impact of noise to surrounding communities, including South Padre Island located several miles away, was believed to be one of the biggest concerns. But an independent assessment found noise levels to be manageable.

One exception came under the "biological resources" category. "The FAA has determined the Proposed Action would adversely affect species listed under and critical habitat designated under the federal Endangered Species Act," the report states. However, there may be a way to mitigate these impacts.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09 ... -terrible/

Tugg
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27685
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:44 am

They did do some live streaming from Inspiration4 on the SpaceX YouTube channel about six hours ago.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6179
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:12 pm

The four people are on the way down. I've watched a tiny bit of the live stream - which is on right now.

And one of the astronauts is watching "Spaceballs" on his iPad. :biggrin:
 
zanl188
Posts: 3868
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:21 am

flyingturtle wrote:
The four people are on the way down. I've watched a tiny bit of the live stream - which is on right now.

And one of the astronauts is watching "Spaceballs" on his iPad. :biggrin:


Musk kicked in $50M towards the funding goal for St Judes. Earlier this evening it sounded to me like they were well short of their $200M goal.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6179
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:37 am

zanl188 wrote:

Musk kicked in $50M towards the funding goal for St Judes. Earlier this evening it sounded to me like they were well short of their $200M goal.


Maybe Isaacman could have met the funding goal by not going into space, putting everything into his charity instead... but then, he wouldn't get his astronaut wings...
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11484
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:35 pm

Found this very interesting (to me) vid on the failure during the Starship's Nov 2020 SN engine test. I'm sure many here have seen Practical Engineering's videos. This one discusses the underappreciated importance of concrete in our space effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMbUeO4iGhY

Tugg
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Tugger wrote:
Found this very interesting (to me) vid on the failure during the Starship's Nov 2020 SN engine test. I'm sure many here have seen Practical Engineering's videos. This one discusses the underappreciated importance of concrete in our space effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMbUeO4iGhY

Tugg

From the way that concrete fractured, it looked like it was more acoustical shock than heat to me. Maybe steam too from applying the Martyte before the concrete was dry.
I tried to find enough big pieces to resurface my porch.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5917
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Some miscellaneous Falcon-related news:

Cool: B1051 is due to launch a Starlink mission from Vanderberg in a few days and will become the first booster to fly and land 11 times!

Not cool: its brother B1049 has been slated to launch the O3b mPOWER satellite for SES next year, which will also be its eleventh flight, but unfortunately also its final one as a landing attempt will not be made...
Not sure why the booster will be discarded. The satellite isn't very heavy and is only going to MEO. Maybe they've decided that's as much as they can get from it, being an early Block 5?

Cool: Crew-3 is launching soon, using a brand new Dragon spacecraft (Endurance) and B1067 which pushed CRS-22 up to the ISS in June.

Not cool: We'll have to wait until next year to see a Falcon Heavy lift off as USSF-44 has been delayed to January 2022 at least.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:29 pm

To add to the potentially cool-

Musk says the Starship orbital test could be ready to go as soon as next month, if the FAA approves. For some reason I doubt it will happen that soon, but one can hope!

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/10/22/m ... continues/

And SN20 conducted a static fire of the Raptor Vacuum engine and it seemed all went well.

Not that I ever doubted they were making progress, but it’s odd to go this long without something big coming out of Boca Chica so good to see the updates
 
meecrob
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:10 pm

I'd bet this is all planned in. The lull around the approval fits the lull around launches cuz they just built a fuel farm and launch tower designed to catch rockets. Can't build that shit in a few weeks. Like as someone who deals with lead times and supply chains, this is industrial ballet. They just "happened" to conveniently have the FAA tell them to not launch anything exactly when they didn't want to!
 
FGITD
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm

I get the impression you might be right. I think they ended up a bit ahead of themselves and delayed the approval request etc while they built up the launch site. Even though the orbital launch isn’t coming back there.

I recall Musk saying some time ago that they were thinking it would be many more attempts to land a starship than it ended up being. Wouldn’t be surprised if they were expecting to spend more time building, launching, and blowing up test starships
 
744SPX
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2021

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 pm

The real test will be the integrity of the heat shield tile attachment. Infinitely simpler than a Raptor, but based on how fragile it appears to be at this stage, I daresay it could be the programs biggest challenge yet.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos