Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NearMiss
Topic Author

This F-16 picture got my attention

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:57 am

Hey guys

I was looking at this picture Mike Balserak took while refuelling an F-16 (AAR):

I couldn't help noticing the two cans of Monster Energy at each side of the cockpit. I'm sure you can have an energy drink while in flight, but wouldn't those cans fly around the cockpit while maneuvering? I don't see any cupholders or a cooler to keep them safe and chill :D

Be safe!
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

aumaverick

Re: This F-16 picture got my attention

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:35 pm

Judging by the picture, the presence of the crew bag behind the seat, and two fuel pods, I'm guessing this is a ferry flight and probably not a lot of shaking and baking going on to disturb the monsters on the dash. I'm guessing they were not there prior to take off.
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

Woodreau

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:27 pm

I wonder if he puts them there to get them cooled down, like if there are any vents there? Or just a convenient place to put them within easy reach.

We put soda cans in certain places to get them cooled down or food in certain places between the glareshield and the heated cockpit windows to warm/heat food up...

On a certain aircraft fleet, if you look in the nook between the window and the glareshield you'll find a collection of wrapped butter packages that have fallen off of the countless meal trays from crews and gotten lodged into the nook. I guess maintenance gets to clean up the mess the pilots make during the C checks or when you get the window heat faults when the melted butter runs out of the packaging and into avionics behind the cockpit screens.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

smithbs

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:39 pm

Drinking two monsters while tightly strapped into a confined space sounds like a unique form of torture.

aumaverick

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm

smithbs wrote:
Drinking two monsters while tightly strapped into a confined space sounds like a unique form of torture.

If its a long cross country, I bet he has a monster piddle pack.
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:11 pm

Nothing quite like 10+ hours cooped up in one of those planes.

WKTaylor

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm

In the noted photo, there is ALSO a 'tannish' colored fabric bag or jacket [etc] casually stuffed right-side/behind/above the pilot [left in photo] in an area that might interfere with the 'movement-envelop' of the Ejection seat. Bad news.

NOTE...
During the Same AAR...???... Here is a photo of another F-16 'under the Boom'... with 'other stuff' tucked-up/around the HUD on the glareshield... a Snoopy doll and a cozy maybe? At least there is nothing in the ejection seat 'envelop/pathway'!

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 pm

If the canopy doesn’t go, the seat goes thru, so I’m not sure a helmet bag is gonna interfere much. There was a story of USN RIO, returning from the ship into Oceana, had to eject wil all sorts of stuff in pit. The site was decorated with clothes, a couple of gifts and assorted trash.

Max Q

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am

Don’t know what the cabin altitude would be in that F16, I don’t think it’s like an airliner though

Opening a can of any carbonated beverage could be quite explosively messy
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Yeah, it is messy but possible. At least, the Viper has an auto pilot, try opening a soda can while hand flying the A-10, forget it in close formation in cloud. Pressurization schedule is something like unpressurized til around 8,000’ then fixed differential above that.

Spacepope

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Max Q wrote:
Don’t know what the cabin altitude would be in that F16, I don’t think it’s like an airliner though

Opening a can of any carbonated beverage could be quite explosively messy

I doubt that. I work at 9100 feet a bunch and never have problems.
The last of the famous international playboys

WKTaylor

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:52 pm

Ref the photo I added [#7]… looks like a travel-pod mounted under the Rt wing/center station.

Noshow

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:37 pm

It is important to be hydrated but how about the opposite on a long ferry mission? No more "relief tubes" in modern cockpits I guess.

LyleLanley

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Noshow wrote:
It is important to be hydrated but how about the opposite on a long ferry mission? No more "relief tubes" in modern cockpits I guess.

Piddle packs are your friend.

Re: the picture, the jet is carrying two pods. One on each wing.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"