Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n92r03
Topic Author

Super Bowl Flyover 2021

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Super Bowl LV (55) will have a B1, B2 and B52 (1 + 2 + 52 = 55) for the flyover. Linked article says each aircraft will fly from their home bases, Ellsworth, Whitman and Minot, perform the flyover during the national anthem and then return to base. Anyone have a guess on how many aerial refuelings each will need to do on this mission? Hopefully weather is good and no unforeseen issues arise as this should be quite a sight.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/20 ... uper-bowl/

Mods, not sure if this is should be in Military/Space or not...

EC135C

Re: Super Bowl Flyover 2021

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 pm

In theory none. However, if they want to tap a Guard tanker for training so be it. When I was flying Looking Glass the Guard tankers were always on the look out for us.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:14 am

I’m sure they’ll knock out a practice hook, or a low level, if they still do them, or a some range event to make it a training sortie. Probably on the way home. We did a flyby on July 4th on the Boston Esplanade when they still did the Pops concert. Fun times.

COSPN

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:36 am

Why would they need to refuel ?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:26 pm

Easy to plan that mission on any of them without an AAR, but likely one planned to fill a training square. Military planes done fly much without a training aspect in the plan.

Newark727

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:00 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’m sure they’ll knock out a practice hook, or a low level, if they still do them, or a some range event to make it a training sortie. Probably on the way home. We did a flyby on July 4th on the Boston Esplanade when they still did the Pops concert. Fun times.

That sounds like a really cool way to see a city. Lucky.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:06 pm

It was, but lots of planning and coordination with Logan TRACON, basically had to build a hole on the Logan flow. Later, we did a Gillette stadium flyby.

jreeves96

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Keep an eye on FR24. For some reason KC-135s are trackable. Maybe they'll fly out of MacDillafter the fly over is finished?

IFlyVeryLittle

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Ive seen a lot of tanker activity on FlightAware over the Gulf off Tampa and off Florida's Atlantic coast in recent days. Would they need to practice for something like this, or is it so routine as not to require rehearsals.

bayouflyer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
Keep an eye on FR24. For some reason KC-135s are trackable. Maybe they'll fly out of MacDillafter the fly over is finished?

Can you share the filter setting to show KC-135's, or any other tankers? Would be interesting to see but I can't seem to make it work.

bayouflyer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 pm

jreeves96 wrote:

Can you share the filter setting to show KC-135's, or any other tankers? Would be interesting to see but I can't seem to make it work.

AWACSooner

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Yes you can. Just filter to "K35R" or something like that. I've been also able to track E-6Bs and RC-135s while they're CONUS as well.

n92r03
Topic Author

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:39 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Easy to plan that mission on any of them without an AAR, but likely one planned to fill a training square. Military planes done fly much without a training aspect in the plan.

Galaxy- That is exactly what the Air Force representaive said in the interview I just watched (local TV in TPA). He went on to say they had no problem getting any 'volunteers' to fly this mission. :) https://www.fox13news.com/news/precisio ... lv-flyover

Would love to hear more about the planning aspects and basically how can they work the timing to be overhead the stadium at the exact moment. Assuming they will be 'holding' in an area 5-10 miles north or south of the stadium then approach accordingly?

Here in Tampa, the stadium is a stone's throw from TPA, but is situated in a north/south configuration so that is basically parallel to TPA's main two runways. A-10's were here earlier in December for a flyover, and parked by the FBO, was pretty cool to see the ground support guys in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. The pilots were waving to all the kids looking through the fence.

Edit- Forgot link to interview
Last edited by n92r03 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airportugal310

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:40 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Yes you can. Just filter to "K35R" or something like that. I've been also able to track E-6Bs and RC-135s while they're CONUS as well.

Indeed. Don't know what changed, but in addition to that you can see the C5's flying around among the one's you list above. Kind of nice to see something different

jreeves96

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:46 pm

bayouflyer wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:

I don't have any filters on mine. But I do have the paid version. I live in KY so there's tanker bases all over the east coast of US so I just open the app and they're flying around. With it being the end of the month they should be out more to get their hours. I know TYS seems like they always have one doing pattern work all the time. I'll also see the Mercury, C-130s and C-17s, and fighters peak through sometimes.

There's one just north of TYS as I type this. Looks like an unmarked 707 or DC8. There's another one doing work on the Gerogia/South Carolina line east of Macon. PA ANG has one doing work at PIT.

acw367

Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Don't forget traffic planning and avoidance of the flows for the civil airports are easier for a Super Bowl flyover because of the TFR and heavy flight restrictions in place. Even TPA traffic are taking routings further from the Stadium area. The FAA has already published TFR details. https://www.faa.gov/superbowl/ and TPA routings https://www.faa.gov/superbowl/media/TPA ... B_SITE.pdf

RobertS975

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:34 pm

While I was waiting for my vaccine at RSW yesterday, a KC135 landed about 2PM. It has USAF markings. There was also a Navy B737, either a C-40 or a P-8.

citationjet

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm

Regarding inflight refueling, per the link in the OP:

The bombers will depart from their respective bases, join up for the flyover and return to base following the event. Tampa’s own 6th Air Refueling Wing at MacDill Air Force Base will provide air refueling before the flyover, according to Lt. Christopher Thibeaux-Moore, spokesman for the wing.

xjetflyer2001

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:10 am

airportugal310 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Indeed. Don't know what changed, but in addition to that you can see the C5's flying around among the one's you list above. Kind of nice to see something different

You can also track the A400, and code is A400 on FR24

Spacepope

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:45 am

Just fire up https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ and browse away. Hut the little "U" icon in the upper right corner to filter just the military stuff. Usually B-1s don't squawk but the B-52s usually do. I am getting a chuckle out of the C-17 going by "TURTLE 8" over South Carolina right now.

Spacepope

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:57 pm

The B-52s are almost to Florida as Drago53 and Drago 63. They departed Minot AFB and are nearly to Tallahassee https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5898

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 pm

n92r03 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Galaxy- That is exactly what the Air Force representaive said in the interview I just watched (local TV in TPA). He went on to say they had no problem getting any 'volunteers' to fly this mission. :) https://www.fox13news.com/news/precisio ... lv-flyover

Would love to hear more about the planning aspects and basically how can they work the timing to be overhead the stadium at the exact moment. Assuming they will be 'holding' in an area 5-10 miles north or south of the stadium then approach accordingly?

Here in Tampa, the stadium is a stone's throw from TPA, but is situated in a north/south configuration so that is basically parallel to TPA's main two runways. A-10's were here earlier in December for a flyover, and parked by the FBO, was pretty cool to see the ground support guys in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. The pilots were waving to all the kids looking through the fence.

Edit- Forgot link to interview

In those days, no TFRs, no extra security procedures, which made it harder. First, KBOS TRACON offered a holding fix away from their traffic, inbound and outbound. The Boston Pops and Star Markets (their sponsor on those July 4th concerts) gave us the concert schedule and when the flyby would fit into the program. They did this with the military annually, inviting pilots/crews that were from the Boston area originally, out A/C was from Melrose and went to BU, perfect. We had a tie-in with the Pats, icing on the cake.

Once the schedule was in-place, it’s just a timing exercise. How far from the hold, fly the short route and TOT. Over 20 or so miles, not much you can do change arrival once you leave the hold. The music was timed out, I can’t the name of piece and the piece before (God Bless America?). Rep on the ground had the timing and part of the piece to tell us to head down track after BOS ATC who had the rough timing and plan with the watch supervisor and controller station. On the note, the radio call was made to head in. We timed the hold, and knew within maybe 30 seconds when our time would be so avoiding being headed East, when we needed to headed inbound. They just used some tactical vectors to clear us cross the city to the Esplanade. Flyby and leave. It wasn’t tricky, but took some coordination on timing the hold.

Worse flight, timing-wise, was a flight from Spain with five caskets to arrive at very particular time. A Senator Biden has interest in it. All well and good, not terribly hard, carry some extra fuel, try, in a C-5, to get off early or, at least, not late. Crew briefed, get a flight plan. Westbound, 30 knots of predicted TAILWIND. Crikey, if this odd doesn’t show up, we could be an hour late! None of us had seen winds like this, so we added some time and fuel. 30W we’re already slowed down. Fortunately, KDOV was overcast, we held at SIE for maybe 20 minutes to hit the hit, spot on-time! Five hearses, five expectant widows, a sea of dignitaries from the Biden on down to wing commander, a Marine contingent getting dressed in full uniform on the flight deck, open the visor. Not a dry eye anywhere.

SteveXC500

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 pm

Spacepope wrote:
The B-52s are almost to Florida as Drago53 and Drago 63. They departed Minot AFB and are nearly to Tallahassee https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5898

They’re holding over the gulf with a KC35 now.

NLCFFX

Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Or use RadarBox and under filters under aircraft class toggle all but Military off. Works great all over the world except France where they block most of the information.
Ed