Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mxaxai
Topic Author

French Rafale Cuts Power Lines

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:30 pm

https://theaviationist.com/2021/02/19/f ... ng-flight/

The damaged Rafale aircraft landed safely ten minutes later. No casualties were reported on the ground.

A Rafale of the Armée de l’Air et de l’Espace (French Air and Space Force) struck medium voltage power lines during a low altitude training flight at around 2PM local time on Feb. 17, 2021 near Le Castellet (Alpes-de-Haute-Provence). The aircraft, belonging to the 4e Escadre de Chasse (4th Fighter Squadron), took off together with another Rafale from the Base aérienne 113 Saint-Dizier-Robinson.

Close call. I think these are the power lines suggested by the article: https://goo.gl/maps/nfAQfsNLjztWxhfR7

GalaxyFlyer

Re: French Rafale Cuts Power Lines

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:02 am

Anyone remember the VA ANG Thud that took down the cable TV on a low level route denying eastern NC the Super Bowl that year?

mxaxai
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:33 pm

I recall that there was a USAF jet that hit a cable car cable and killed a bunch of the cable car's passengers but that was quite a while ago.

Per the article, the French already hit power lines in 2012 and 2014 with a Mirage 2000 and a Rafale, respectively. Both managed to land safely. It appears that aircraft are sturdier than cables.

Francoflier

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:33 pm

mxaxai wrote:
I recall that there was a USAF jet that hit a cable car cable and killed a bunch of the cable car's passengers but that was quite a while ago.

Per the article, the French already hit power lines in 2012 and 2014 with a Mirage 2000 and a Rafale, respectively. Both managed to land safely. It appears that aircraft are sturdier than cables.

How low exactly does the French Air Force like to fly?
Do their pilots fear hypoxia that much?
:duck:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

RetiredWeasel

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:03 pm

mxaxai wrote:

That was a Marine EA-6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

kelval

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Whoa, 15km away from where I live.
There is a lot of military training going around here (between Canjuers and Orange).
They usually fly low and fast, but I would have thought this would've happened with a Tigre helo instead. They have the bad habit to fly much lower than the power lines, and you sometimes get the surprise to find one a bunch of meters over the ground, a few meters away from the road.
Last year, tehre were also lots of V22 to be seen (and heard).

tommy1808

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Francoflier wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Judging by youtube videos shot above Morocco, Chad and elsewhere across and along Africa between no higher than the aircraft is long and low enough to almost hit a standing man with an external fuel tank seems to be the "feel good" altitude.

If a French pilot hits a power line, he is flying to high.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

FGITD

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:20 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Judging by youtube videos shot above Morocco, Chad and elsewhere across and along Africa between no higher than the aircraft is long and low enough to almost hit a standing man with an external fuel tank seems to be the "feel good" altitude.

Best regards
Thomas

Pilot had to buy the first round that night. The rest of the squadron probably made it under without hitting.

kelval

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:37 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Well, I've also watched those videos, and those taken in Africa were on rather flat land.

The area where this incident happened is right where the alps start. It's a hilly area and the mountains are barely over 10kms away.

texl1649

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:42 pm

John McCain would have no comment, were he still on this mortal coil.

WIederling

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:22 am

Francoflier wrote:

Not everywhere are the lines tacked to wooden poles, "sweating" from overloading as low hanging fruit. .... :-)
Murphy is an optimist

kc135topboom

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 am

Francoflier wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmhAa_CJYY

Newark727

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:57 am

kc135topboom wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmhAa_CJYY

Well, what else do you expect their tanker pilots to do? Find a 20,000-foot-long refueling hose? :D