Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bearnard123
Topic Author

The most advanced private space company of the present time

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:10 am

Nowadays, private space company really succeeded and manufactures pretty good technology and space vehicle. What do you think is the most advanced private space company ( except Space X ) at the present time?

Re: The most advanced private space company of the present time

Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:05 pm

The only ones I can think of are Bezos' pet project - Blue Origin and Branson's Virgin Galactic.

Nomadd

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:25 pm

Except for SpaceX, Lockheed. They build launchers, (Atlas was theirs before ULA was born) satellites, interplanetary probes and just about every other thing that goes to space.
I wouldn't call a company that has never launched anything but a big model rocket shaped like a marital aid, advanced.

meecrob

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:32 pm

Additionally, their current offerings are not just sub-orbital, but barely pass the Karman line. That is advanced aircraft territory, akin to the X-15, not spacecraft. I mean, I couldn't do it myself in a reasonable timeframe, but give any competent enthusiast the money and range support, and they could probably loft a modest payload above 100Km.

Rocket Lab on the other hand at least have a business launching cubesats, as opposed to a test program.

flyingturtle

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Rocket Lab.

FGITD

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:29 am

Nomadd wrote:
Except for SpaceX, Lockheed. They build launchers, (Atlas was theirs before ULA was born) satellites, interplanetary probes and just about every other thing that goes to space.
I wouldn't call a company that has never launched anything but a big model rocket shaped like a marital aid, advanced.

Have to agree with Lockheed, one of the very few companies that is a one stop shop for everything space. Really the only lag is that they do it the old fashioned way...for now. But otherwise between both sides’ history, Lockheed Martin has been in the space game since the very beginning. (Also a remarkable company in that they build literally everything that moves)

Blue Origin is one to watch, for me. Big aspirations which is nice, but their secretive manner makes it hard to get excited. They come out, launch the same profile, and then go back into hiding

Nomadd

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Rocket Lab.

Rocket Lab has great promise.
I just don't like them because they backed off an offer of a tour after I drove all way out on the Mahia peninsula.

ANZUS340

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Nomadd wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Rocket Lab.

I just don't like them because they backed off an offer of a tour after I drove all way out on the Mahia peninsula.

Ah well at least it's a nice drive. Next time you go stop at Osler' Bakery in Wairoa for a one of their steak and cheese pies, Tea Bun or Custard Square.
Our family have a bach at Mahia. Not far from Rocket Lab launch site.
I would be ticked too if they rescinded a tour invite.

Not exactly answering the question here I know. However, The big companies such as Lockheed and Boeing are great and important. I think Lockheed probably has the most mature technology. I am of the opinion that, right now, it is the smaller private outfits that are pushing boundaries with the implementation of new ideas, driving excitement, and providing inspiration globally. The impact that Rocket Lab is having in New Zealand, for example, on the younger generations is huge IMO. I think Space X is driving similar excitement with kids in the U.S.

Nomadd

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:20 pm

ANZUS340 wrote:
Nomadd wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Rocket Lab.

Ah well at least it's a nice drive. Next time you go stop at Osler' Bakery in Wairoa for a one of their steak and cheese pies, Tea Bun or Custard Square.

Not exactly answering the question here I know. However, The big companies such as Lockheed and Boeing are great and important. I think Lockheed probably has the most mature technology. I am of the opinion that, right now, it is the smaller private outfits that are pushing boundaries with the implementation of new ideas, driving excitement, and providing inspiration globally. The impact that Rocket Lab is having in New Zealand, for example, on the younger generations is huge IMO. I think Space X is driving similar excitement with kids in the U.S.

I stopped at the Rocket Cafe, which was closed, but the owner saw me looking at the sign and opened up, made dinner and invited the family to sit and talk with me. She told them "Now remember, you're not suppose to call him a rocket nut. He's a rocket enthusiast."
And, no offense to the northern folk, but I do believe the South island is the most beautiful place on the planet.

ANZUS340

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:28 am

Nomadd wrote:
ANZUS340 wrote:
Nomadd wrote:

I stopped at the Rocket Cafe, which was closed, but the owner saw me looking at the sign and opened up, made dinner and invited the family to sit and talk with me. She told them "Now remember, you're not suppose to call him a rocket nut. He's a rocket enthusiast."
And, no offense to the northern folk, but I do believe the South island is the most beautiful place on the planet.

That sounds pretty inviting and a typical rural New Zealand welcome. The South is indeed spectacular. However, I think Alaska and the Solomon Islands are equally impressive. I hope to see a launch from Rocket Lab the next time I go back to NZ.

kitplane01

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:40 am

Ariane Space would be my vote. They are at least trying to make a rocket that might compete (with subsidies) against SpaceX on price for commercial launches. Lockheed isn't even trying.

It's not really "can you get a booster into space". That's no longer as interesting as it used to be. It's all about economics.

bearnard123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 am

889091 wrote:
The only ones I can think of are Bezos' pet project - Blue Origin and Branson's Virgin Galactic.

Actually I agree that Blue Origin is a great private space company. This company may be going slower than SpaceX, but their success to failure ratio is unmatched.Off cource it`s not so advanced like Space X and does not so well in the space exploration area but still, Blue Origin has great spacecrafts and consepts that worth attention.

bearnard123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:18 am

kitplane01 wrote:
Ariane Space would be my vote. They are at least trying to make a rocket that might compete (with subsidies) against SpaceX on price for commercial launches. Lockheed isn't even trying.

It's not really "can you get a booster into space". That's no longer as interesting as it used to be. It's all about economics.

I`d like to mention Boing. This space aerospace manufactures engines for some spacecrafts and this compony had to take part in Artemis mission together with Space X and NASA

bearnard123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Last of all, I recomend you to havea look at the small but promising aerospace company froma Scotland which manufactures rather good and interesting projects. This company manufactures microsatellites of different types like those that observing ebvironmental changes and tracking rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers. Also, they make different types of rockets like Skyhy that impressed me
https://www.skyrora.com/

MadAstronaut

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm

Dragonfly Aerospace. It's a satellite imager manufacturer from South Africa. This company was established not so long ago, but it had already launched its own satellite and imager. The cameras they produce have good characteristics and help scientists obtain a lot of useful information about our environment. Why not other satellite producers cooperate with Dragonfly Aerospace and build something relatively new?

Zkpilot

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Advanced is a tough call since you’re comparing apples with oranges.
Most innovative outside of SpaceX? Definitely Rocketlab.

ADent

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:17 am

Blue Origin is the best company on the ground. Take a look at just their facilities on/near CCSFS, and the rocket engine plant in Huntsville.

SpaceX - doing experiments in real time. Got re-use to actually work. Starlink has a bright future. Kinda hacked together.

ULA/Boeing/Lockheed (and Ariane) - years and years of proven use. Send them money and it will get done.

Rocket Lab looks good.

The Chinese have grand ambitions and are generally making it work.

WIederling

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 am

ADent wrote:
Blue Origin is the best company on the ground. Take a look at just their facilities on/near CCSFS, and the rocket engine plant in Huntsville.

SpaceX - doing experiments in real time. Got re-use to actually work. Starlink has a bright future. Kinda hacked together.

ULA/Boeing/Lockheed (and Ariane) - years and years of proven use. Send them money and it will get done.

Rocket Lab looks good.

Boeing seems to perform best in the "4color glossies" domain. Give them money and they will endlessly tell you how good they are.

I've wondered what Airbus would turn out given the task of producing an airliner type use case "SpaceBus".

bearnard123
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 am

WIederling wrote:
ADent wrote:

Rocket Lab looks good.

Boeing seems to perform best in the "4color glossies" domain. Give them money and they will endlessly tell you how good they are.

I've wondered what Airbus would turn out given the task of producing an airliner type use case "SpaceBus".

As far as I know that Boeing also ccoperates with NASA and Space X. Moreover, Boeing had to take part in the Artemis mission together with NASA and Space X. Also, I wanna add that I like the consepts of the spacecrafts they have

rubberdogdo

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 am

Could anyone venture a guess as to the likelihood of success at Virgin Galactic ? They seem stuck in a rut with even RB cashing in already.

bearnard123
Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:03 pm

rubberdogdo wrote:
Could anyone venture a guess as to the likelihood of success at Virgin Galactic ? They seem stuck in a rut with even RB cashing in already.

I don`t know much about this space company but it`s idea about space tourism sounds iteresting ( however I don`t believe personaly in it ) In comperison with the rest space company that were mentioned here Virgin Galactic cannot boast about it`s huge success in space exporation missions.