Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
bearnard123
Topic Author
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:37 am

Desertification is a type of degradation of land in which the land becomes more arid. Desertification is a direct result of global warming, and approximately 12 million hectares of productive land becomes barren due to desertification annually. Remote sensing technology can be used to measure the extent of desertification. Could you ever thought that in order to fix that stuff scientists start to use satellite technology which helps scientists observe the land?
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6165
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:08 pm

We have that since a veeeeeeeeeeery long time. It's basically photography at various wavelengths. Also, satellite-based radar is nowadays good enough to register soil erosion / deposition at centimeter precision.
 
 
bearnard123
Topic Author
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:50 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
We have that since a veeeeeeeeeeery long time. It's basically photography at various wavelengths. Also, satellite-based radar is nowadays good enough to register soil erosion / deposition at centimeter precision.

Observing Global Desertification with the Assistance of Space Technology is a very useful method how to keep an eye on desertification, and droughts. This is a vital important system that defines all the mechanisms involved in the process of desertification. The sheer volume of information produced regarding both local and global data allows researchers and scientists to analyse the impact of land degradation and to quantify regression and stabilisation trends over extended periods of time.
 
bearnard123
Topic Author
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 am

mxaxai wrote:

Yeah, that`s a good example. I recently read an article about the usage of Space Technology and Coral reef Observation Satellites can be utilised to monitor the coral reef climate in near real time. High-resolution coral reef satellite imagery collected before, during, and after a bleaching event
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6165
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 am

bearnard123 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
We have that since a veeeeeeeeeeery long time. It's basically photography at various wavelengths. Also, satellite-based radar is nowadays good enough to register soil erosion / deposition at centimeter precision.

Observing Global Desertification with the Assistance of Space Technology is a very useful method how to keep an eye on desertification, and droughts. This is a vital important system that defines all the mechanisms involved in the process of desertification. The sheer volume of information produced regarding both local and global data allows researchers and scientists to analyse the impact of land degradation and to quantify regression and stabilisation trends over extended periods of time.


Why are you opening threads when going to researching the question by yourself?
 
User avatar
MadAstronaut
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:35 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
bearnard123 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
We have that since a veeeeeeeeeeery long time. It's basically photography at various wavelengths. Also, satellite-based radar is nowadays good enough to register soil erosion / deposition at centimeter precision.

Observing Global Desertification with the Assistance of Space Technology is a very useful method how to keep an eye on desertification, and droughts. This is a vital important system that defines all the mechanisms involved in the process of desertification. The sheer volume of information produced regarding both local and global data allows researchers and scientists to analyse the impact of land degradation and to quantify regression and stabilisation trends over extended periods of time.


Why are you opening threads when going to researching the question by yourself?


At least to hear people's opinion about it and, perhaps, learn some new information from those who know more about the subject. Why do you think it's bad?
 
bearnard123
Topic Author
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:45 pm

MadAstronaut wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
bearnard123 wrote:
Observing Global Desertification with the Assistance of Space Technology is a very useful method how to keep an eye on desertification, and droughts. This is a vital important system that defines all the mechanisms involved in the process of desertification. The sheer volume of information produced regarding both local and global data allows researchers and scientists to analyse the impact of land degradation and to quantify regression and stabilisation trends over extended periods of time.


Why are you opening threads when going to researching the question by yourself?


At least to hear people's opinion about it and, perhaps, learn some new information from those who know more about the subject. Why do you think it's bad?

Yeah, thanks)
I just wanted to start this thread to talk with you about this subject and may be you share some information you have about it ( if you actually have something to add to my thread) By doing that I wann get as much information as it possible about particular point or issue
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6165
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from Desertification

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 pm

bearnard123 wrote:
MadAstronaut wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

Why are you opening threads when going to researching the question by yourself?


At least to hear people's opinion about it and, perhaps, learn some new information from those who know more about the subject. Why do you think it's bad?

Yeah, thanks)
I just wanted to start this thread to talk with you about this subject and may be you share some information you have about it ( if you actually have something to add to my thread) By doing that I wann get as much information as it possible about particular point or issue


Now I understand. :bigthumbsup: Your threads felt a bit weird to me...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos