Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bearnard123
Topic Author

Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts

Thu May 06, 2021 12:15 pm

Have you ever heard about Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts? According to the information I`ve found such name have weather satellites and some kind of scientific satellites. Also, I`ve heard that there are not only weather satellites and scientific satellites that are used in Sun-synchronous orbit. Do you know which kind of sats or maybe other spacecrafts are used for Sun-synchronous orbit?

flyingturtle

Re: Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts

Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Spy sats, among others.

If you have a sun-synchronous orbit, the satellite will overfly the same patch of land when the sunlight is hitting the terrain at the same angle.

From the shadows cast by objects, you can easily and consistently calculate their height.

When an underground facility is built, you can thus estimate the amount of excavated material.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 am

Earth observing spacecraft are the biggest users of sun-synchronous orbits as it means you will always have the sun at the same angle. In particular earth observing spacecraft in the optical wavelength love sun-sync orbits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_obs ... _satellite

mxaxai

Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am

I think Rocket Lab considers the SSO as one of their primary markets (and other near-polar orbits).

bearnard123
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am

flyingturtle wrote:
Spy sats, among others.

If you have a sun-synchronous orbit, the satellite will overfly the same patch of land when the sunlight is hitting the terrain at the same angle.

From the shadows cast by objects, you can easily and consistently calculate their height.

When an underground facility is built, you can thus estimate the amount of excavated material.

I found an exaple of this rocket. It`s called rocket XL It is a three-stage light class launch vechicle. It is intended for placing pay loads into Sun-Synchronous Orbit over range of 500 km altitude. As far as I know this type of rocket deliver space weather satellites or satellites related to Earth observation.

flyingturtle

Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am

bearnard123 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Spy sats, among others.

I found an exaple of this rocket. It`s called rocket XL It is a three-stage light class launch vechicle. It is intended for placing pay loads into Sun-Synchronous Orbit over range of 500 km altitude. As far as I know this type of rocket deliver space weather satellites or satellites related to Earth observation.

You can launch any payload into any orbit if the rocket farts enough hot gas for a long enough time... you don't need a specific model.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed May 12, 2021 12:09 am

flyingturtle wrote:
bearnard123 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Spy sats, among others.

You can launch any payload into any orbit if the rocket farts enough hot gas for a long enough time... you don't need a specific model.

Pretty much.

If you go to page 14 in this doc https://www.spacex.com/media/falcon_use ... 042020.pdf
You'll see all the sorts of orbital inclinations the Falcon 9 can do as an example. Note how it differs between launch sites and for the orbit height you want.

MadAstronaut

Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 am

What if we launch a satellite to SSO? Can it be used for Earth observation? I recently explored one company called Dragonfly Aerospace; it produces imagers and cameras for various types of satellites. Here you may learn more about the,=m https://dragonflyaerospace.com/mantis/.

flyingturtle

Tue May 18, 2021 8:57 am

MadAstronaut wrote:
What if we launch a satellite to SSO? Can it be used for Earth observation?

This thread is quite groan-worthy.

One of the first satellites in SSO was TIROS-10. It observed the sunny part of earth with TV cameras, and was used for weather forecasts. TIROS-10 was launched on July 2, 1965.

http://www.zarya.info/Diaries/Launches/GeoSS/ss-Age.php