Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bearnard123
Topic Author

The emerging space technology

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm

In the modern world, science and technology are fast-growing things, and as we can see a lot of new space technologies are about to be produced or invented. Which one do you expect the most and which one do you think might be the most useful for humans or for space exploration?

Nomadd

Re: The emerging space technology

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Nuclear.

bajs11

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:16 pm

bearnard123
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:26 am

I liked the way how microsatellites are developing and how they partially substitute ordinary sats. This is a cheaper and easier way for some missions ordinary sats used to do. Also, we may use microsats bigger number of fields that only emphasis their competence. Satellite technology take part in our everyday lives, so we cannot imagine our present world without sat technology

mxaxai

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 am

Cheaper robust microchips. You can't build cheap microsatellites when (radiation-tolerant) chips are ridiculously expensive or, worse, out of stock. https://spacenews.com/satellite-makers- ... shortages/

bearnard123
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Getting back to my last message about satellite technology. Satellite technology evolved so, that we cannot imagine our everyday life without it I`d like to mention satellite technology that can track rare species of animals in order to prevent them from being killed by poachers.
https://www.skyrora.com/post/using-sate ... from-orbit

bajs11

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:53 am

mxaxai wrote:
Cheaper robust microchips. You can't build cheap microsatellites when (radiation-tolerant) chips are ridiculously expensive or, worse, out of stock. https://spacenews.com/satellite-makers- ... shortages/

The current chip shortage will not last forever and it affects everyone. I've been trying to get a GPU for my gaming PC since Christmas.
I wonder if cheap cube sats in low earth orbit actually use or need radiation hardened microprocessors.

mxaxai

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm

bajs11 wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

The current chip shortage will not last forever and it affects everyone. I've been trying to get a GPU for my gaming PC since Christmas.
I wonder if cheap cube sats in low earth orbit actually use or need radiation hardened microprocessors.

Some use them, some don't. Depends on the required reliability, cost and lifetime of the cubesats. The ISIS IOBC, for example, uses mostly standard components (with some extra quality control) but adds a few radiation hardened chips to prevent complete failure in the case of a radiation-induced single event effect. Some cubesats use redundant COTS chips as a cheap solution. Often, it's a mix of both - redundancy wherever possible and radiation-hardened parts where redundancy is unfeasible.

Currently, radiation testing is expensive and time-consuming. That's unlikely to change. Analysis and simulation methods may improve, however.

kitplane01

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 am

I see the revolution in space technology as having just happened (SpaceX reusability). Now it's about finding more uses for space now that space is easier/cheaper to get to. I don't foresee another revolution for a while ... just faster/cheaper/better in a gradual way using extensions of our existing tech.

bearnard123
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:43 am

kitplane01 wrote:
I see the revolution in space technology as having just happened (SpaceX reusability). Now it's about finding more uses for space now that space is easier/cheaper to get to. I don't foresee another revolution for a while ... just faster/cheaper/better in a gradual way using extensions of our existing tech.

Yeah, I`ve heard that Space X is gonna make Starlink satellites will be able to lead themself in the atmosphere of Earth when their lifespan is over to burn down there and not to increase the number of space junk