Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

NAS Miramar

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:02 am

I was looking at Google maps and noticed 4 F/A18(?) on the flightline without wings, without a rudder, without a canopy, and with the spine open to the elements. What are they doing there?

Tugger

Re: NAS Miramar

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:30 pm

MCAS Miramar you mean.

Miramar does a lot of carrier training including fire and such. I assume you are looking at the one that is at a remote location across the base from the flightline (where the link open on). I know that out there they do their fire training (though I don't think those planes are what burn. it is the pits next them.

Tugg

bikerthai

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 pm

I think he meant the 4 fuselages to the east of the main ramp and the Fightertown hangar. The four frames are sitting among some helos near a large hanger. My guess would be a training area for maintenance crew.

You can see both single and dual seat versions.

bt

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:48 pm

yes. I meant those indeed. Doesn't look like firefighting training tools to me. But indeed it could be training for the maintenance crew, but then again, why would you do it outdoors like that? Sure it is California, but still.

bikerthai

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
, why would you do it outdoors like that? Sure it is California, but still

Throw in a fire truck and you can simulate a carrier deck in a rain storm. :stirthepot:

Or if the hangar is like my neighbor's garage, it would be full of other stuff.

bt

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:43 pm

Why go through the trouble of removing the rudders though?

bikerthai

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Nothing in in the rudder that needs replacement.

Wonder if it's just something that mechanics train to remove and replace LRUs and other electronic components or even engines.

bt

LMP737

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I was looking at Google maps and noticed 4 F/A18(?) on the flightline without wings, without a rudder, without a canopy, and with the spine open to the elements. What are they doing there?

More then likely they're being parted for spare parts because they've reached the end of heir service lives. Look at the west end of NAS North Island and you will see the same thing. This is where NADEP has their flight line and where the store canabalized airframes.

ThunderDome

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 pm

If it is the for Hornets sitting to the East of Hangar two that you are talking of, nothing really out of the ordinary there. 1. There is a Navy Depot work center in that hangar, closest to the street. They tear the airplanes down pretty far when they work on the, Dependent on the required work. 2. I don't see any of the turtle backs open. One has been freshly sealed and not painted yet, that's normal. 3. There is one that appears to not have the Vertical Stab on it, but not 100% sure since Google pixels when you get close. Same with the Canopy. 4. The one furthest south, may have some panels open, again cant really tell. For Bikerthai, the rudders have to be replaced when they fail Rudder free play. So yes things could fail on them. I would bet money, these four are on the line to have checks done that cant be done in the hangar, or were moved out because the parts won't be in for some time, and they can work other aircraft. By the time the Marines get to Miramar, they have already been there both of their MOS schools. So unless there is a major Modification that people need to be trained on, these are not for training. Look for NAS Pensacola, Oceana and Lemoor for that.

bikerthai

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:28 pm

Never though they would take off the whole wing for maintenance.

bt

ThunderDome

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:44 pm

bikerthai wrote:
Never though they would take off the whole wing for maintenance.

bt

I have seen them have tonreplace the entire inner wing panel because of a broken fuel line bracket.