Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VMCA787
Topic Author

New AF-1 Paint Scheme

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am

It looks as if the Trump Shuttle paint scheme for the new AF-1 might not happen. Supposedly, the proposed scheme is not finalized yet and won't be for a little while longer.

Hopefully, AF-1 won't resemble the Trump Shuttle.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2021/ ... ys/185517/

744SPX

Re: New AF-1 Paint Scheme

Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Hopefully they don't change it (from the current AF1 livery). Although I fear they will find some excuse to paint the over the natural metal on the fuselage underside. None of the 747-8 retro-liveries have included the natural metal lower fuselage halves they are supposed to have. (then again, neither have the 737 retro-liveries)

atcsundevil

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Please avoid turning this subject into a political discussion. Obviously it is a politically charged topic, but let's just stick to discussing it from an aviation perspective.

✈️ atcsundevil

bikerthai

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm

744SPX wrote:
Although I fear they will find some excuse to paint the over the natural metal on the fuselage underside.

The excuse is obvious. The skin is clad aluminum. Keeping it nice and shiny require lots of polishing that would remove that clad layer over time.

bt

Newark727

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 pm

bikerthai wrote:

The excuse is obvious. The skin is clad aluminum. Keeping it nice and shiny require lots of polishing that would remove that clad layer over time.

bt

Having seen how clean they keep the current AF1, I'm not sure the Air Force minds the additional busywork. :D

bikerthai

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:11 pm

I recall this came up when AA bought their first 777. They did not get the polished underbelly because they could not guarantee the corrosion protection of the clad surface after so many years of polishing.

bt

bikerthai

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I believe most of the body joints are made with titanium bolts instead of aluminum rivets. Those bolt heads would stand out a little against the polished aluminum skin maybe? :scratchchin:

bt

bikerthai

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 pm

texl1649 wrote:
It is funny that so many care about a paint scheme for a single aircraft (well, 2).

Just like those Olympics uniforms, no one cares until something goes wrong :bitelip:

How about having sponsors painted to the sides to help defray the costs. Bet the can get big dollars as that plane gets lots of press.

bt

744SPX

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 pm

It has been suggested that it might be that green primer they use- I don't think they used that back when bare aluminum was in. Still shouldn't be an excuse though (referring to retro-liveries w/gray paint instead of bare aluminum) If you're not going to do it right, or if you're going to do it half-assed, then don't do it at all. It reads to me as being either cheap or lazy.

petertenthije

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:28 pm

bikerthai wrote:
How about having sponsors painted to the sides to help defray the costs. Bet the can get big dollars as that plane gets lots of press.

bt
I like that idea. Instead of painting “ United States of America” on the sides, you could write “ United States of America runs on Dunkin’”.

Or “There are some things money can’t buy, for the president: mastercard”.

BestIntellect

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:40 am

You know what would be a really neat idea?

To cancel the AF1 748s altogether.

The 742s, SAM 28/29000 are like, what, some of the lowest-time "airliners" on the planet? They could have decades of life left in them. Upgrade to a full-digital flight deck and done.

Boeing can find other customers for the white tails.

I can't help but think that the 748s really ended up being a vanity project, for which I can't go into details as per moderator instruction.

bikerthai

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am

BestIntellect wrote:
The 742s, SAM 28/29000 are like, what, some of the lowest-time "airliners" on the planet?

Cost of the frame is peanuts. The new sets of electronics would have to be incorporated in to the airplane anyway, including more wiring, more electronic racks to add tons of bandwidth and computing capabilities. And more refrigerator space for the expanded press corp :wink2:

If you are to do this much mod, you will have to take out of service at least one frame for an extended time. You are not saving much in the long run.

bt

Aesma

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Can't they use fiber optics and need less wiring not more ?

bikerthai

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 pm

Aesma wrote:
Can't they use fiber optics and need less wiring not more ?

They do. You still have to route the cable. Fibers are also more tricky to route because they have larger bend radius and more difficult to repair if broken.

When was the last VC-25 system refresh? Fiber tech has improved a bit over the last 10 years. But data bandwidth requirement also increased much as well.

Even with fiber, I suspect they are using lots of of-the-shelf routers with ethernet cables interface.
bt