zanl188

Re: SpaceX - Tests, Launches, Developments - 2022

Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Todays Starlink launch…

https://youtu.be/eiKOMCRymsw

Francoflier

Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:24 pm

B1058 is the second booster to reach 11 cycles, after B1051, although it did so much faster than its older brother, in 21 months vs. 33.

I'm glad to see them venturing past 10 flights with the boosters. It seems they keep improving them as the newer ones fly more cycles more often.
The fairing halves were on their 3rd flight, so there is progress with reusing these too.

flyingturtle

Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:48 pm

I wonder if other launch provider will recover their fairing halves, too. Apparently, it mainly involves adding parachutes and a sort of location transmitter. SpaceX shows that one doesn't need a grabbing ship.

zanl188

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:48 am

Musk tweets Starlink activated over Ukraine. Additional terminals enroute to war zone.

N328KF

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:07 am

ESA has several Galileo launches coming up that no longer have rides. Could this easily be done by SpaceX, or would the EU not even consider it? (ExoMars is now an even bigger problem.)

GDB

Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:25 am

N328KF wrote:
ESA has several Galileo launches coming up that no longer have rides. Could this easily be done by SpaceX, or would the EU not even consider it? (ExoMars is now an even bigger problem.)

I don’t see why SpaceX could not do it, as for ExoMars, never happy about the Russian component, remember that only happened when NASA for budget reasons pulled out from the original joint program.

Francoflier

Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:26 am

There were only 4 more Galileo sats scheduled to launch using Soyuz (=2 launches). The rest were already assigned to Ariane 6 (assuming no delay in the program).
Galileo sats have already been launched by Ariane 5 in groups of 4. The remaining 4 due to launch on Russian hardware could potentially be launched using a single A5, although I'm not sure whether their respective orbits would allow for a grouped launch.

Otherwise, the Vega launcher could probably launch them one at a time too, if they really want to avoid using non-European hardware. Either way, this is more of an inconvenience than anything else for the program.

The Soyuz ops at ESA were already being wound down anyway in preparation for the arrival of A6 which was slated to replace both it and A5.

It would be cool to see ESA use Falcon 9 for the Galileo sats however. They'd probably save money too...

mxaxai

Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:39 am

Francoflier wrote:
It would be cool to see ESA use Falcon 9 for the Galileo sats however. They'd probably save money too...

Money that would not go to Arianespace ... From a European politics perspective, launching with SpaceX would be bad PR. It would signal "we're dependent on other superpowers to provide basic space services" and "we're unwilling to support our own launch providers in times of crisis".

N328KF

Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:45 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Money that would not go to Arianespace ... From a European politics perspective, launching with SpaceX would be bad PR. It would signal "we're dependent on other superpowers to provide basic space services" and "we're unwilling to support our own launch providers in times of crisis".

Do you really think that sort of signaling or cooperation would be so bad given events?

mxaxai

Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:14 pm

N328KF wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Do you really think that sort of signaling or cooperation would be so bad given events?

Yes. The US wants to see an ally they can depend on, who doesn't come crying for help at the slightest sign of trouble. Although they wouldn't say no to the money. And Russia needs to see that the EU is must be reckoned with and isn't just a pawn of the US.

Nomadd

Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:53 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Launching on a U.S. booster would be bad PR but launching on a Russian one wouldn't?

Francoflier

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:16 pm

Musk, in his usual trolling/PR-seeking ways, responded to threats by Russia of abandoning the ISS (and letting it crash over the US or Europe :sarcastic: ) by saying that SpaceX would step up to the plate:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ats-2022-2

Nomadd

Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:54 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Musk, in his usual trolling/PR-seeking ways, responded to threats by Russia of abandoning the ISS (and letting it crash over the US or Europe :sarcastic: ) by saying that SpaceX would step up to the plate:
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ats-2022-2

Musk is the one who could modify a few Dracos in a week to let a Dragon 2 move the station instead of needing a billion dollar contract and two years of overruns to do the job.

GDB

Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:20 pm

Scott Manley's news update goes into detail about the implications for the space sector generally;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-lj-jCqe8

FGITD

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:05 am

ESA using SpaceX would be an interesting shift in how spacecraft manufacturers are perceived. SpaceX wants to make space access something of a commodity. The way I see it, they aren’t so different from Boeing or Airbus selling airplanes.

Logistically I’m sure it would be a huge hassle and probably not worth it, but really other than money and National pride, what’s to stop ESA from telling SpaceX that they want to launch their own astronauts on SpaceX hardware?

Francoflier

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:11 am

FGITD wrote:
Logistically I’m sure it would be a huge hassle and probably not worth it, but really other than money and National pride, what’s to stop ESA from telling SpaceX that they want to launch their own astronauts on SpaceX hardware?

ESA has already launched astronauts on SpaceX hardware.

FGITD

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:42 am

Francoflier wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Oh yes, I understand that. What I mean is to do so through their own facilities, crewed entirely by ESA astronauts. Totally independent, not going via NASA at all

Nomadd

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:33 am

FGITD wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Oh yes, I understand that. What I mean is to do so through their own facilities, crewed entirely by ESA astronauts. Totally independent, not going via NASA at all

It would be the same as the recent Inspiration or soon to come Axiom launches. The U.S. didn't give up just because they had to buy Soyuz rides from Baikonur for years. You can surrender to nationalistic crap or do what you need to do to get the job done. SpaceX isn't going to launch through ESA facilities. There's no need.

GDB

Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:34 pm

Starlink news that is not about launches;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xrcCFlUntg

GDB

Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:44 pm

9th launch in as many weeks, 11th flight of this booster;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb2sDdUkRo

GDB

Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:24 pm

Another Starlink away, this time with the Flight Director having a crack at the ranting of the head of the Russian agency just prior to launch;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAppamdGyo

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:38 pm

SpaceX purchased oil rigs, and has moved them to Pascagoula to be refitted into the Deimos and Phobos launch platforms.

But to launch something from an offshore platform, the rokkit needs to be fueled.

Has SpaceX already purchased a fuel farm tanker?

Nomadd

Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:07 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
SpaceX purchased oil rigs, and has moved them to Pascagoula to be refitted into the Deimos and Phobos launch platforms.

But to launch something from an offshore platform, the rokkit needs to be fueled.

Has SpaceX already purchased a fuel farm tanker?

I'd expect them to charter tankers and crews. It's not a simple business to get in on your own, and for relatively small volumes.

zanl188

Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:56 am

Booster used in tonight’s Starlink launch was recovered for a record 12th time.

N328KF

Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:11 pm

Because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, OneWeb is moving all future launches to Falcon 9. Seems like that SpaceX's ability to reuse broomsticks is paying off.

https://oneweb.net/resources/oneweb-res ... ent-spacex

mxaxai

Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:53 pm

N328KF wrote:
Because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, OneWeb is moving all future launches to Falcon 9. Seems like that SpaceX's ability to reuse broomsticks is paying off.

https://oneweb.net/resources/oneweb-res ... ent-spacex

More that OneWeb was scheduled to launch on Soyuz and there are currently few other (competitive) launchers in this weight category. Perhaps the Indian rockets but I'm not sure how actively they're pursuing commercial launches.

ReverseFlow

Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:52 pm

Interestingly OneWeb are using SpaceX even though they are the competition with Starlink.
But I guess there aren't many rides in town!

GDB

Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:41 am

ReverseFlow wrote:
Interestingly OneWeb are using SpaceX even though they are the competition with Starlink.

I think that Musk does not see One Web as a real threat to Starlink, also after delivering the system to Ukraine and Putin refusing his offer for man to man combat, why not offer a ride?

bikerthai

Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:22 pm

GDB wrote:
I think that Musk does not see One Web as a real threat to Starlink,

Just like his philosophy on EV cars. He wants the tech to be available to more people whoever provides it.

bt

ThePointblank

Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 am

ReverseFlow wrote:

Gwynne Shotwell is on record as saying SpaceX will launch a payload for any customer at list price, regardless if they are a competitor.

angad84

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:47 am

ThePointblank wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Gwynne Shotwell is on record as saying SpaceX will launch a payload for any customer at list price, regardless if they are a competitor.

Good policy. Eye on the prize, which is Mars. Any revenue gets you closer.
Plus, a national/regional/global proliferation of orbital internet is good for all players from a regulatory POV. Presents lawmakers a fait accompli that they have to address. More players might increase competition, but gets us there faster. We all know Elon is a speedy boi.

kurtverbose

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:07 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

I look at the very late BE-4 engine for ULA and think would ULA go to SpaceX as an alternative supplier, and if they did would SpaceX sell to them?

ssteve

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:32 pm

kurtverbose wrote:
ThePointblank wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

I look at the very late BE-4 engine for ULA and think would ULA go to SpaceX as an alternative supplier, and if they did would SpaceX sell to them?

SpaceX providing launch services to all comers including StarLink competitors is something that, I'd think, keeps them out of anticompetitive hot water. Because they already sell this service.

SpaceX selling products that it does not otherwise sell is less likely to be something they would do to avoid antitrust regulators. Conceivably if SpaceX were the only launch provider in the world, you could argue that it could be trustbusted, but that's a longer game than simply not kicking the hornets nest on purpose.

kurtverbose

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:49 pm

ssteve wrote:
kurtverbose wrote:
ThePointblank wrote:

SpaceX providing launch services to all comers including StarLink competitors is something that, I'd think, keeps them out of anticompetitive hot water. Because they already sell this service.

SpaceX selling products that it does not otherwise sell is less likely to be something they would do to avoid antitrust regulators. Conceivably if SpaceX were the only launch provider in the world, you could argue that it could be trustbusted, but that's a longer game than simply not kicking the hornets nest on purpose.

But there's no way ULA can compete with SpaceX with the Vulcan Centaur.

I think SpaceX would see it as a revenue opportunity if they had spare production slots / engineering capacity, which they may not have.

ThePointblank

Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:31 pm

kurtverbose wrote:
ssteve wrote:
kurtverbose wrote:

But there's no way ULA can compete with SpaceX with the Vulcan Centaur.

I think SpaceX would see it as a revenue opportunity if they had spare production slots / engineering capacity, which they may not have.

At this very late stage, it would be extremely difficult for ULA to switch engines. For better or for worse, they are stuck with Blue Origin unless they want to completely scrap everything they've done up until now.

But I believe that SpaceX is getting Raptor 2 production up; last I saw, Elon Musk said they will have around 39 flight-worthy engines by next month's end, and by May, they should be integrated with Starship:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/150 ... d6DAi1IClA

kurtverbose

Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:20 am

ThePointblank wrote:
At this very late stage, it would be extremely difficult for ULA to switch engines. For better or for worse, they are stuck with Blue Origin unless they want to completely scrap everything they've done up until now.

No doubt it's very late for a major engineering change, but I'm not sure they would have to scrap everything. Both engines produce similar thrust. The Raptor 2 is a little less, but it's more efficient (more than double the chamber pressure) so would maybe need less thrust as it wouldn't need so much fuel. They are also both methane engines.

I can see there being an issue with NASA wanting two possible launch suppliers with both of them using the same engine, but they wanted two suppliers for the ISS but only one works. Unless BO pulls their finger out ULA is likely to be in the same position as Boeing with Starliner.

ThePointblank

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:09 am

Interesting tidbits regarding how OneWeb ended up with SpaceX for their launches in an upcoming Aviation Week article; in short, negotiations between the two companies went really fast, completed in just 3 days, and they intend on modifying the dispenser used for Soyuz for the Falcon 9:

https://twitter.com/Free_Space/status/1 ... 2789842954

OneWeb's partner, Airbus is looking at modifying the dispenser even further to take advantage of the Falcon 9's greater lift capacity, which may reduce the number of launches required by OneWeb.

mxaxai

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 am

SpaceX ending production of flagship crew capsule
March 28 (Reuters) - SpaceX has ended production of new Crew Dragon astronaut capsules, a company executive told Reuters, as Elon Musk's space transportation company heaps resources on its next-generation spaceship program.

Capping the fleet at four Crew Dragons adds more urgency to the development of the astronaut capsule's eventual successor, Starship, SpaceX's moon and Mars rocket. Starship's debut launch has been delayed for months by engine development hurdles and regulatory reviews.

It also poses new challenges as the company learns how to maintain a fleet and quickly fix unexpected problems without holding up a busy schedule of astronaut missions.

"We are finishing our final (capsule), but we still are manufacturing components, because we'll be refurbishing," SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell told Reuters, confirming the plan to end Crew Dragon manufacturing.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/scien ... 022-03-28/

Refurbishing used Crew Dragon appears to be sufficient for the number of flights NASA is expected to buy. I wonder how easily SpaceX could restart production, should the need arise.

Francoflier

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:00 pm

The Axiom-1 mission just launched successfully. 4 tourists are on the way to the ISS for a 10 day stay with full board.
It was a nice feed including - for once - a clear and uninterrupted view of the first stage landing from both the booster and the droneship... Nice.

B1062 was on its 5th flight, which makes it the booster with the most cycles to launch a manned mission.
B1067 will launch NASA's Crew-4 mission later this month on its 4th flight.
Confidence in the flight-proven boosters is definitely increasing.

The Crew Dragon capsule (C206, the first Dragon to fly humans to the ISS) was on its 3rd launch.

GDB

Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:28 pm

Francoflier wrote:
The Axiom-1 mission just launched successfully. 4 tourists are on the way to the ISS for a 10 day stay with full board.
It was a nice feed including - for once - a clear and uninterrupted view of the first stage landing from both the booster and the droneship... Nice.

B1062 was on its 5th flight, which makes it the booster with the most cycles to launch a manned mission.
B1067 will launch NASA's Crew-4 mission later this month on its 4th flight.
Confidence in the flight-proven boosters is definitely increasing.

The Crew Dragon capsule (C206, the first Dragon to fly humans to the ISS) was on its 3rd launch.

Outstanding, 6 manned launches in just under 2 years.
And two of them not ‘just’ ISS rotations, last years non ISS one even having a modification for its hatch to a viewing port.
This one today while going to the ISS might be the first stage in post ISS LEO if Axion’s plans become real later this decade.

Meanwhile the Starliner.......

zanl188

Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Axiom-1 just docked at ISS. Docking delayed by communications difficulties. Dragon voice comms were getting cut off, resolved by crew delaying speech after pushing talk switch. Then ISS crew was not receiving Dragon centerline camera views, resolved by waiting for a pass over a SpaceX ground station then routing video to the ground and sending to ISS.

Nomadd

Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:46 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Axiom-1 just docked at ISS. Docking delayed by communications difficulties. Dragon voice comms were getting cut off, resolved by crew delaying speech after pushing talk switch. Then ISS crew was not receiving Dragon centerline camera views, resolved by waiting for a pass over a SpaceX ground station then routing video to the ground and sending to ISS.

I spent 20 years trying to stop people from talking the instant they pushed the PTT switch on digital and trunked radios.
"Wait for the beep people!"

N328KF

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:51 pm

zanl188 wrote:

Axiom lost me when they started selling their NFT snake oil to pay for their mission.

flyingturtle

Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:27 pm

NROL-85 launched, with a cute mission patch. Everything norminal.

GDB

Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:33 pm

Good launch, the NRO originally mandated that only new boosters be used, however they relented and this one used the same booster as the previous NRO two months ago.

zanl188

Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 am

GDB wrote:
Good launch, the NRO originally mandated that only new boosters be used, however they relented and this one used the same booster as the previous NRO two months ago.

Leads me to wonder if there will be unique documentation or inspections for boosters used in NRO missions. Or if boosters will be fenced off for the NRO. Stay tuned!

GDB

Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:12 pm

zanl188 wrote:
GDB wrote:

Leads me to wonder if there will be unique documentation or inspections for boosters used in NRO missions. Or if boosters will be fenced off for the NRO. Stay tuned!

I understand that they are happy using ‘their’ boosters!
An accommodation given the proven reliability of the Falcon and saving tax $?

Nomadd

Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:46 pm

GDB wrote:
I understand that they are happy using ‘their’ boosters!
An accommodation given the proven reliability of the Falcon and saving tax $?

In binary, Axiom was successful, consecutive F9 launch number 10,000,000.

casinterest

Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Well, another day , another launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eo6a2fl91U

Starlink keeps on going.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/04/spa ... -official/

Looks like they plugged a DOS attack

After SpaceX sent Starlink terminals to Ukraine in February in an apparent effort to help Ukraine maintain its internet connection amid war with Russia, SpaceX founder Elon Musk claimed that Russia had jammed Starlink terminals in the country for hours at a time. After a software update, Starlink was operating normally, said Musk, who added on March 25 that the constellation had “resisted all hacking & jamming attempts” in Ukraine.

Francoflier

Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:10 pm

B1060 is back on Earth, for the 12th time. It's the second booster to reach that milestone.
The landing video feed from the barge was quite nice, showing how amazingly precise that suicide burn is as the booster zeroed its vertical speed just a couple of inches from the deck before cutting out and lazily dropping itself on its legs... like a dainty butterfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlY7Sc-FKyk