Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Final Operational Flight of The CC-115 Buffalo

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:04 am

The final operational flight of the CC-115 Buffalo has been flown, with the aircraft now retired from operational service:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... craft.html

The final operational flight for the CC-115 Buffalo aircraft was flown today by 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron, based out of 19 Wing Comox, British Columbia.

As they have done countless times over the course of the Buffalo’s service to Canada, the final operational flight involved airborne search and rescue standby training, conducting a flight within Search and Rescue Region Victoria, ready to divert to an emergency at a moment’s notice from Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria. Training included Search and Rescue Technician parachute jumps and parachuting of emergency equipment as the aircraft visited locations around Vancouver Island.

The CC-295 Kingfisher has not been brought online as of yet, and won't be for a while. In the meantime, C-130H's from 435 Squadron based in Winnipeg will provide coverage for the Victoria SAR region until the Kingfishers can be made ready.

GDB

Re: Final Operational Flight of The CC-115 Buffalo

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:05 pm

I remember seeing these display at Farborough in the 80's (I was not there on the day of that notorious 'very hard landing' however).
A shame that Viking Aerospace could not/did not update the Buffalo as they have types like the Twin Otter, could that have been a better solution? Quite apart from Canadian industry but operationally too?

stratable

Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm

With Airbus developing a training and maintenance base out in British Columbia plus Airbus Canada in Quebec I'd assume going with a brand new type was the way to go forward; not only from a support but also long-term capability perspective.

FlapOperator

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:42 pm

GDB wrote:
I remember seeing these display at Farborough in the 80's (I was not there on the day of that notorious 'very hard landing' however).
A shame that Viking Aerospace could not/did not update the Buffalo as they have types like the Twin Otter, could that have been a better solution? Quite apart from Canadian industry but operationally too?

Honestly, I think a new build Buff with various improvements could be a great medium airlifter. Viking isn't a LockMart or even Embraer. Its still kind of a mom-and-pop establishment, even if their products like the new build Twotter are just outstanding.

I'm a HUGE Viking fan, and really hope they can thrive with their products.