Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Air Force disciplines C-130 crew for unplanned landing to pick up motorcycle in Martha’s Vineyard

Fri May 13, 2022 2:04 am

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-for ... cycle/?amp

This story made me chuckle. Does this happen regularly ? I feel like it does but crews do a good job of getting away with it.

aumaverick

Re: Air Force disciplines C-130 crew for unplanned landing to pick up motorcycle in Martha’s Vineyard

Fri May 13, 2022 12:19 pm

I know a lot of crew members who happen to ship things when flying, both for corporate/airlines and for the DoD. These guys would have been smarter to arrange the pickup over at Otis.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Air Force disciplines C-130 crew for unplanned landing to pick up motorcycle in Martha’s Vineyard

Fri May 13, 2022 12:56 pm

alberchico wrote:
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-crew-marthas-vineyard-motorcycle/?amp

This story made me chuckle. Does this happen regularly ? I feel like it does but crews do a good job of getting away with it.

Not often, but it happens. NYANG flew O-2s before converting to the C-5 and no one cared what they did, so pretty common to land at KBGR and pick up lobsters. Then, they did it in a C-5. Big oops including some dismissals of senior officers.

Back in WWV, the Honda CB750 was the first superbike. C-141 crews were always going thru RJTY (Yokota AB), so bringing home a new motorcycle was happening enough to get attention from Honda USA. Crews were told “no more bikes on USAF planes or you won’t like the punishment. An old friend had a Japanese dealer disassemble his CB750 down to parts, which were boxed up and marked “motorcycle parts”. Presto, on arrival at Travis, customs wants to know what really in box. “Pay the correct duty and I don’t care about the AF rules”. Boxes delivered to dealer and instant brand new CB 750. John loved to tell the story.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 13, 2022 1:03 pm

The rules are now pretty strict. Even a training flight has to be documented that no personal travel or benefit is gained. A C-141 crew was disciplined for saying they were following a basketball team around to go to games. Several crews have gotten an LOR for visiting families when flying training events and it was reported by local news. An A-10 guy almost got court-martialed while at a show at Minot AFB. He was raised nearby, local news made a a big deal about local son’s success. It was thought he was selected to go so he could visit home. Politics.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 13, 2022 1:04 pm

The rules are now pretty strict. Even a training flight has to be documented that no personal travel or benefit is gained. A C-141 crew was disciplined for saying they were following a basketball team around to go to games. Several crews have gotten an LOR for visiting families when flying training events and it was reported by local news. An A-10 guy almost got court-martialed while at a show at Minot AFB. He was raised nearby, local news made a a big deal about local son’s success. It was thought he was selected to go so he could visit home. Politics.

LyleLanley

Fri May 13, 2022 4:03 pm

aumaverick wrote:
I know a lot of crew members who happen to ship things when flying, both for corporate/airlines and for the DoD. These guys would have been smarter to arrange the pickup over at Otis.

Not gonna say I've never done similar things, but these guys weren't exactly doing it behind the scenes. Sometimes people deserve to be caught.

aumaverick

Fri May 13, 2022 4:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
alberchico wrote:
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-crew-marthas-vineyard-motorcycle/?amp

Not often, but it happens. NYANG flew O-2s before converting to the C-5 and no one cared what they did, so pretty common to land at KBGR and pick up lobsters. Then, they did it in a C-5. Big oops including some dismissals of senior officers.

Back in WWV, the Honda CB750 was the first superbike. C-141 crews were always going thru RJTY (Yokota AB), so bringing home a new motorcycle was happening enough to get attention from Honda USA. Crews were told “no more bikes on USAF planes or you won’t like the punishment. An old friend had a Japanese dealer disassemble his CB750 down to parts, which were boxed up and marked “motorcycle parts”. Presto, on arrival at Travis, customs wants to know what really in box. “Pay the correct duty and I don’t care about the AF rules”. Boxes delivered to dealer and instant brand new CB 750. John loved to tell the story.

Not to mention trips to Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, and the Philippines (when Clark was still around) where all kinds of other goods were loaded up and shipped home. Mahogany furniture, Kimonos, luggage sets, stereos and speakers...all for a few bad apples not knowing how to be discrete.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 13, 2022 4:35 pm

USN guys could bring some huge stuff home in the magazines. When the Yom Kippur kicked off, a friend was in one of Phantom squadrons on a training cruise off the East Coast and Caribbean. Captain came on the PA, mentioned that anyone on the fleet deck at dawn might have noticed the sunrise over the bow. Yup, off the Sixth Fleet. All morning they threw the souvenirs overboard and then started loading munitions and supplies. The wake was full of boxes, furniture and what not.

LyleLanley

Fri May 13, 2022 4:39 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
USN guys could bring some huge stuff home in the magazines. When the Yom Kippur kicked off, a friend was in one of Phantom squadrons on a training cruise off the East Coast and Caribbean. Captain came on the PA, mentioned that anyone on the fleet deck at dawn might have noticed the sunrise over the bow. Yup, off the Sixth Fleet. All morning they threw the souvenirs overboard and then started loading munitions and supplies. The wake was full of boxes, furniture and what not.

Double pain: get rid of all the crap you just bought and you're going to spend a LOT more time on a boat. Yuck.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 13, 2022 5:28 pm

I had a Navy Chief ask my loads to add on his Harley, Kaneohe to Pensacola for a deployment of his helo squadron. Loads say “nope, can’t do it”. He gets a little belligerent with then, E-8 to E-8. NCOIC comes over and asks me to speak with him. “Nope, and if I let it go, there’d be no guarantee it’d come here.”. He drove back home.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 13, 2022 5:30 pm

That said, I flew the US Aerobatic team to ETAR and the Vickers Vimy replica from KSUU to EGUN, sponsored by NatGeo. How they got it approved, I don’t know but State Dep’t was the User, IIRC.

I has a SQ/CC reservist who thought buying beer in C-5 quantities was undignified and unacceptable. As the DO, I had the sad duty to tell both my guys and gals and the crew chiefs only on case per trip. I get off the crew bus from the local to see him fuming in the parking lot about the mountain of empties going back to Ramstein. “Boss, it’s being environmentally friendly and gets the deposits back”. He tried banning that, too. Eventually, made one-star.

GDB

Fri May 13, 2022 6:02 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Kind of reminds me of what is alleged to have happened when the converted liner to troopship Canberra was returning the troops from the Falklands to a huge and rapturous reception in Southampton.
Many of them had ‘liberated’ some ‘souvenirs’, nothing wrong with that, Argentine pattern helmets, webbing, stuff like that. However they were told they would face customers checks after docking so overboard went FAL rifles, Argentine SMG’s, pistols, maybe even the odd machine gun.
No such checks happened, so at the bottom of Southampton Water perhaps............

cjg225

Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Of course some Martha's Vineyard locals rat them out.

I was thinking it would've actually been a Plane Spotter,.

mxaxai

Fri May 13, 2022 10:15 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Of course some Martha's Vineyard locals rat them out.

I was thinking it would've actually been a Plane Spotter,.

Might explain why I was asked to only take photos of planes, not of cargo. Who would've thought that those innocent looking boxes could actually contain things like motorcycles and souvenirs. No photo, no evidence.

TPAJAY

Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 am

This is a problem with every phone having a camera on it...We have all done stupid things, but never was there video evidence of said stupid things lol.

LyleLanley

Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 am

TPAJAY wrote:
This is a problem with every phone having a camera on it...We have all done stupid things, but never was there video evidence of said stupid things lol.

Or at least the proof was on VHS or some obscure camera --> computer format and it was too much effort to copy the evidence.

TWA772LR

Tue May 17, 2022 2:53 am

I saw on TikTok that after the Falklands, the British troops were returning home and when they were about a day out, the ships crew came on the PA saying there were going to be customs check (something to that effect). The last day at see was all the troops throwing overboard their war spoils (Argentine find, equipment, etc...). Once they made pretty there were actually no such inspections

eskimotail

Tue May 17, 2022 3:05 am

The number of "slightly damaged" YETI coolers that return to the US bases in the VP squadrons cruise boxes/pallets would astound you. Apparently the factory is nearby one of the places they visit regularly from Kadena, and the factory welcomes scratch and dent tours. End of deployment, load up the C17s.......