Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArtemDeggy
Topic Author

Blue angels

Sun May 22, 2022 8:03 am

Hey) Is it possible to fly in the Blue Angels aerobatic team and work for airlines at the same time?

Legs

Re: Blue angels

Sun May 22, 2022 8:40 am

The Blue Angels pilots are full time US Navy or Marine Corps officers, I suspect their duties don't leave much time for a second job.

Starlionblue

Sun May 22, 2022 12:16 pm

As Legs says, it is a full-time job. Actually more than full time. They're CRAZY busy during their tour. Definitely not a reserve officer deployment.

There are many documentaries online about them.

https://youtu.be/ZbTIHFcpqhc

zuckie13

Sun May 22, 2022 1:54 pm

The perform most weekends from March through November. Major training for the new members each year (half the pilots are new each year), plus the ones changing rolls means they also are working the other three months on that training. They only the most highly rated active duty pilots for it, so no, not going to be doing that part time.

zeke

Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 pm

ArtemDeggy wrote:
Hey) Is it possible to fly in the Blue Angels aerobatic team and work for airlines at the same time?

Nope

LyleLanley

Sun May 22, 2022 8:54 pm

It would kinda kill the airshow vibe to have one of the pilots running off the 1015 commuter from Atlanta, rushing out to meet the guys marching to their jets while still getting his feet in the pants of his blue bag…

Starlionblue

Sun May 22, 2022 10:53 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
It would kinda kill the airshow vibe to have one of the pilots running off the 1015 commuter from Atlanta, rushing out to meet the guys marching to their jets while still getting his feet in the pants of his blue bag…

Don't forget checking loads for his commute home on his phone. ;)

FGITD

Sun May 22, 2022 10:59 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Don't forget checking loads for his commute home on his phone. ;)

I’d pay extra to watch him show up late and fly his position in the Blues with his commercial ride though

cjg225

Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 am

FGITD wrote:
I’d pay extra to watch him show up late and fly his position in the Blues with his commercial ride though

WITH his self-loading cargo.

"Folks, from the flight deck, it'll be a while before we're able to land, but to make it up to you, you're going to be the closest you've ever been to an air show, mostly because you're actually going to be in it. I've turned the Fasten Seatbelt sign on and let the cabin crew know they should pass out some extra air sickness bags. If you just hang tight, we'll get you some good picture-taking views and then get you on to Allentown as soon as we can. Thank you."

LyleLanley

Mon May 23, 2022 5:49 am

Absolutely! Probably still gonna be sport-bitching about being on reserve during the show, too. Not to mention complaining about their hotel’s breakfasts not being up to par, or his Pensacola crash pad being out of rate.

FGITD

Mon May 23, 2022 9:02 am

LyleLanley wrote:
Absolutely! Probably still gonna be sport-bitching about being on reserve during the show, too. Not to mention complaining about their hotel’s breakfasts not being up to par, or his Pensacola crash pad being out of rate.

Ever seen the show rider the Blue Angels send out? Only a legacy captain would find fault in those accommodations,

Although if the Blues are living large, I assume the Thunderbirds must require Palanquins to carry them out to the aircraft

RetiredWeasel

Mon May 23, 2022 6:00 pm

In 2009, Maj Sean Gustafson, an Air Force Reserve pilot at Homestead AFB , and also a Delta Airline pilot was selected to fly #4 in the Thunderbirds. As others have mentioned, he was required to accept an active duty commitment for 2 years+ and took a Military Leave of Absence from Delta Airlines. It's a full time job for both the AF and Navy teams.

LyleLanley

Mon May 23, 2022 10:44 pm

FGITD wrote:
Ever seen the show rider the Blue Angels send out? Only a legacy captain would find fault in those accommodations

Probably a 'brown M&Ms' clause somewhere in those contracts...

RetiredWeasel wrote:
In 2009, Maj Sean Gustafson, an Air Force Reserve pilot at Homestead AFB , and also a Delta Airline pilot was selected to fly #4 in the Thunderbirds. As others have mentioned, he was required to accept an active duty commitment for 2 years+ and took a Military Leave of Absence from Delta Airlines. It's a full time job for both the AF and Navy teams.

So in exchange for dropping two years of mil leave, he landed his dream job, was treated like a rock star, continued climbing Delta's seniority list, AND earned 730 AD points? Not a bad deal, even if those flight suits are wayyyy too tight.

Woodreau

Tue May 24, 2022 2:38 am

Every captain I’ve flown with that does the active duty mil flying has told me they’re only doing it to get their points for the reserve retirement.

It’s a pay cut to go fly for the military.

FOs break even on the mil pay.

regional airline pilots CA or FO it’s a no brainer. Take the mil leave and leave the mess behind. When you come back you’ve got more longevity and seniority

Take away for me is that the military pilots are grossly underpaid for what they do. But the government can’t pay them any more than they can

Spacepope

Tue May 24, 2022 2:57 am

FGITD wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Ever seen the show rider the Blue Angels send out? Only a legacy captain would find fault in those accommodations,

Although if the Blues are living large, I assume the Thunderbirds must require Palanquins to carry them out to the aircraft

Oh I hope it’s like the action coloring book rider that the Foo Fighters send out. Perfect for some of the enlisted.

I’d love to see a Blue Angels rider and go over it with an old Navy Captain I know quite well.

FlapOperator

Tue May 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Woodreau wrote:

Take away for me is that the military pilots are grossly underpaid for what they do. But the government can’t pay them any more than they can

Like everything, it depends.

The annuity value of a O5 > 22 retirement is just short of 1.5 million, and along with TriCare for life does have to be factored into the entire equation. Lots of people manage to get off AD, then get their seniority number and roll back onto AD and manage to get in the Check of the Month club as well. So, they are getting their pension (actually retention pay) while flying.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Being #4, he was good at formation!

When there was a combat zone tax exclusion, several B767 captains in our unit said, AD could be a wash, pay wise. Lots of military check is non-taxed.

aumaverick

Wed May 25, 2022 4:11 pm

FGITD wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of the rider for either the Blues or the T-Birds? I'd be interested in comparing the similarities/differences between the two units.

FGITD

Mon May 30, 2022 8:45 pm

aumaverick wrote:
FGITD wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of the rider for either the Blues or the T-Birds? I'd be interested in comparing the similarities/differences between the two units.

https://www.blueangels.navy.mil/assets/ ... manual.pdf

More along the lines of the basic guide to hosting the team at an air show, but gives you a rough idea. Beyond that I’m sure there’s also specific guides given to the hotels, vendors and so on. What type of rooms they require, catering restrictions, I’m sure the list goes on and on.

I skimmed it and interestingly it really isn’t too demanding and a lot is left up to the discretion of blue angels 7/8 who do the prerequisite visits.