Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

art
Topic Author

New competition for the old military aviation OEM's?

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:40 pm

There are several non-US, non-European companies starting to produce military aircraft to compete with 'the old order' of US and Europe, some of which are:

Brazil: Embraer KC-390 airlifter

South Korea: KAI T-50 trainer, KAI F-50 fighter, KAI KF-21 fighter (in development)

India: HAL Tejas LIFT (in development), HAL Tejas Mk1A fighter (in development), HAL Tejas Mk2 fighter (in development)

Japan: C-2 airlifter

Turkey: Hurjet trainer (in development)

The Embraer KC-390 has secured a number of export orders, as have the KAI T-50 and KAI F-50. The HAL Tejas looks likely to secure its first export order soon in LIFT or Mk1A form.

Will the 'old order' of US and European OEM's have to accept that their virtual monopoly of the non-Russian/non-Chinese military aircraft market may be coming to an end with these new boys appearing on the block?

To me India and South Korea seem determined to build fighter design and production capabilities with a view to securing a share of the export market hitherto reserved for the US and European OEM's. Could they realise that goal?

Re: New competition for the old military aviation OEM's?

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:24 pm

I think they will be welcomed to the stage, with lower cost options for countries that don't have high-end conflicts, or need bleeding edge, just high-quality reliable aircraft with modern capabilities. The example of SAAB comes to mind. Also the trainer market has been distributed for some time, and they are beginning to offer combat versions, as Boing likely will for the T-7. So the market is diversifying and that's a good thing.

kitplane01

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 pm

art wrote:
There are several non-US, non-European companies starting to produce military aircraft to compete with 'the old order' of US and Europe, some of which are:

Brazil: Embraer KC-390 airlifter

South Korea: KAI T-50 trainer, KAI F-50 fighter, KAI KF-21 fighter (in development)

India: HAL Tejas LIFT (in development), HAL Tejas Mk1A fighter (in development), HAL Tejas Mk2 fighter (in development)

Japan: C-2 airlifter

Turkey: Hurjet trainer (in development)

The Embraer KC-390 has secured a number of export orders, as have the KAI T-50 and KAI F-50. The HAL Tejas looks likely to secure its first export order soon in LIFT or Mk1A form.

Will the 'old order' of US and European OEM's have to accept that their virtual monopoly of the non-Russian/non-Chinese military aircraft market may be coming to an end with these new boys appearing on the block?

To me India and South Korea seem determined to build fighter design and production capabilities with a view to securing a share of the export market hitherto reserved for the US and European OEM's. Could they realise that goal?

I think that's a pretty rosie picture. The KC-390 has something like 36 total orders including Brazil. The C-2 has 22 total orders. The Tejas has been in development for over 20 years, so waiting on the Mk1A seems bad.

The KAI T-50 is doing well.

None of these seem like a threat to the established order.

RJMAZ

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 am

What annoys me is "the old order" appears to be actively trying (lobbying/dumping/underbidding) to prevent these new manufacturers from gaining traction.

These new manufacturers then clearly have a valid reason to be annoyed and refuse their designs being built or assembled by "the old order".

We honestly need far better cooperation. "You buy mine and I buy yours" situation. Everyone is too stubborn to even start negotiations. The F-35 turned out excellent without the French and Germans *hint hint* Everyone always wants more than their fair share of production work.

We are going in the opposite direction. The F-35 makes it near impossible for a new 5th gen fighter to capture export sales. It could never beat the F-35 on value for money due to their much smaller economy of scale. Boeing's fighter version of the T-7 will makes things even worse on the low end. It will win most competitions in terms of value for money and kill Gripen, F-16, Tejas, FA-50 and probably KF-21.

Then we have all the wannabe 6th gen fighter programs that will see a massive duplication of effort from multiple countries.

Germany ordering the F-35A was a big step forward. My dream would be for the French to order F-35C with the new adaptive 200kn thrust engine for their aircraft carriers. That would be a milestone where you know we have reached unprecedented levels of global cooperation. What would the French want in return? 200 A400M for the USAF?