Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falk1945
Topic Author

USAF RC-135V Rivet Joint Over Cuba

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:41 am

While looking at ADS-B Stack Exchange at 9:30PM CST on July 13, 2022, I noticed that a USAF RC-135V Rivet Joint T/N 64-14845 had overflown the western end of Cuba earlier on that date according to tracking information on that site. This was done during the aircraft's outbound and return trip into the Caribbean from the Lincoln Airport in Nebraska I would have thought that US military are generally restricted from using Cuban airspace. Is there some type of formal agreement to allow such aircraft from transiting Cuban airspace or is there some type of procedure performed on a case by case basis?

Noray

Re: USAF RC-135V Rivet Joint Over Cuba

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:00 am

ADS-B Exchange shows a dashed line for that part of the flight, which means that they don't actually have coverage. The line simply connects two points with coverage. Radarbox.com shows a flight path over the sea between Cuba and the Yucatán Peninsula.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Overflight of Cuban airspace requires a permit, and only one organization in the US is authorized by the Cuban government to handle the permit process. So it is possible to do. Whether this was the case for the subject flight, I don't know

https://www.cubahandling.com/overflight

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:21 pm

I’ve gotten a lot Cuban overflight permits from Jeppesen, maybe it was thru them. OTOH, I’ve done more a few diplomatic clearances (the term for state aircraft overflying or landing in a foreign country) in the USAF, always done thru the Embassy, never a civil office. The Foreign Clearance Guide dictates who handles the diplomatic requests. So, if it was intentionally overflown, the US embassy would be making the request and we don’t pay for overflights, usually. Sagres Point was always passed headed to the OCA out of NS Rota. Favorite question, when given direct to the 15W fix was, “do you have diplomatic clearance to enter Portugal?” The track would often penetrate their airspace by a couple of miles, hence the question.

We were supposed to get dips even in the UK for things like air shows. I was invited with C-5 to RNAS Yeovilton once. FCG specified an office at RAF Mildenhall, 3AF HQ for dip clearance. Major picks up phone says, “HMG has never required a dip clearance for USMIL since 1940, I’m not setting precedent. Besides, its there only to prevent 2 planes showing up.”

Falk1945
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:01 pm

Noray wrote:
ADS-B Exchange shows a dashed line for that part of the flight, which means that they don't actually have coverage. The line simply connects two points with coverage. Radarbox.com shows a flight path over the sea between Cuba and the Yucatán Peninsula.

Thanks for letting me know this. Although I have had a lifetime interest in aviation, I'm new at using the ADS-B Exchange website after getting interested in tracking aircraft since I now have more time for recreation after recently entering semi-retirement. Once again you for the information, I will keep it in mind when looking at flight tracks and will check out the Radarbox website as well..