Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Another RCAF Snowbird Incident

Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:32 am

A RCAF CT-114 Tutor operated by the Snowbird demonstration team had an 'incident' at the Fort St. John Airport after take off. This time, the pilot was able to bring the aircraft back to the airport for a hard landing, overrunning the end of the runway:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6539211

First responders were called to the North Peace Regional Airport in Fort St. John, B.C., on Tuesday afternoon to respond to what officials are describing as an "aviation incident."

In a social media post, the Fort St. John International Air Show said the aircraft went down during takeoff.

Canadian Armed Forces Public Affairs Officer Major Trevor Reid confirmed Tuesday an incident occurred involving the CT-114 Tutor aircraft.

The jet, which had completed a weekend show in the remote city in the northeastern part of the province, apparently stalled on takeoff, a defence source told CBC's Murray Brewster.

The pilot managed to turn the jet around, return to the airfield and landed, but the aircraft blew past the end of the runway, said the source, who was familiar with the accident but not authorized to speak publicly.

Thankfully, nobody was seriously hurt. It appears this jet was being flown to rejoin the rest of the team, which is in Penticton, BC right now for a planned demonstration on Wednesday. But it remains to be seen how this would affect their show schedule, as the next major air show for them is the Abbotsford Air Show this weekend; I imagine the RCAF is looking over what happened and making a safety judgment call based upon the preliminary information.

FGITD

Re: Another RCAF Snowbird Incident

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:59 am

Time for the annual call to ground the Snowbirds or get them decent aircraft. Thankfully at least this time the pilot made it out safely.

Really would like to see them get new aircraft. They put on a great show as is, but new aircraft might improve that.

cumulushumilis

Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 pm

A few colleagues are ex snowbird team members, the consensus among them is that best replacement aircraft is an upgraded Tutor (new engine, avionics and ejection systems). The airframe is solid, and has lots of time left.

Snowbirds don’t need fast loud jets. Their mount is perfectly fine for the type of flying they do as it is definitely a pilots aircraft and well suited to precision aerobatics. A tutor NG would work fine.

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:04 pm

The decision has been made and the Snowbirds will not fly either the planned demonstration in Penticton, nor fly in the Abbotsford Air Show this weekend until Flight Safety conducts a full investigation:

https://www.facebook.com/CFSnowbirdsFC/ ... PCDJrRW6yl

johns624

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:
A few colleagues are ex snowbird team members, the consensus among them is that best replacement aircraft is an upgraded Tutor (new engine, avionics and ejection systems). The airframe is solid, and has lots of time left.

Snowbirds don’t need fast loud jets. Their mount is perfectly fine for the type of flying they do as it is definitely a pilots aircraft and well suited to precision aerobatics. A tutor NG would work fine.
Too bad that's not realistic. The costs would be astronomical.

ramair

Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:13 pm

My concern is that sooner rather than latter the RCAF will pull the plug on the Snowbirds altogether. At what point does a country, that opted to buy used Hornets instead of invest in new airframes, decide a dedicated aerial demonstration team is superfluous?

johns624

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:36 pm

ramair wrote:
My concern is that sooner rather than latter the RCAF will pull the plug on the Snowbirds altogether. At what point does a country, that opted to buy used Hornets instead of invest in new airframes, decide a dedicated aerial demonstration team is superfluous?
They ordered F35s.

krisyyz

Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:05 pm

ramair wrote:

That is, in my opinion the most likely scenario. Investing in new jets for an air demonstration team when we have major operational fleet issues and a lack of pilots would be a bad PR day for the government. Apparently the F-18 is not well suited for air demonstration, even though the USN uses them for that. There was "talk" of a either ordering or moving some of the CT-155 Hawk by 2020 but obviously nothing materialized.

While a re-engineered Tutor is exciting and interesting, I would rank that possibility just above the CF-105NG project.

I'm willing to bet the Snowbirds will be paused for a while, and once we get the CF-35 the RCAF and the Government will be keen to show her off at every opportunity.

KrisYYZ

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:19 pm

F-18 is a fine airshow demo plane, just very expensive.

FlapOperator

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:54 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:

I've heard the same. Most of the guys really love the Tudor, and its going to be last Canadian jet, so while no one wants to say it, part of it is that.

But the Tudor is simple and a joy to fly. It could use a modern seat and some avionics, something modern by Canadian standards, so late 1980s or so.

CDNlaxdad

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm

It's a "Tutor" not a "Tudor". You know, like an "Instructor" for teaching pilots. The Avro Tudor was a completely different plane.

Maybe get the name right when you're trying to be mildly sarcastic...

dana381

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:31 pm

krisyyz wrote:
ramair wrote:

That is, in my opinion the most likely scenario. Investing in new jets for an air demonstration team when we have major operational fleet issues and a lack of pilots would be a bad PR day for the government. Apparently the F-18 is not well suited for air demonstration, even though the USN uses them for that. There was "talk" of a either ordering or moving some of the CT-155 Hawk by 2020 but obviously nothing materialized.

While a re-engineered Tutor is exciting and interesting, I would rank that possibility just above the CF-105NG project.

I'm willing to bet the Snowbirds will be paused for a while, and once we get the CF-35 the RCAF and the Government will be keen to show her off at every opportunity.

KrisYYZ

I don't think the Snowbirds are going away, The CAF needs pilots and the Snowbirds are a recruitment tool. I konw every time I see them I want to sign up and fly jets. Too bad i'm out of shape, 42 and have one bad eye.

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 pm

The RCAF has ordered an operational pause on the CT-114 fleet, along with an operational airworthiness risk assessment be conducted prior to lifting the operational pause:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... fleet.html?

krisyyz

Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:23 am

The snowbirds are officially out of the CIAS. I can’t even remember the last time the Snowbirds missed the CNE air show.

Without being overly dramatic, I have to wonder if we will see them in the skies again.

KrisYYZ

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:19 pm

The Directorate for Flight Safety has released it's preliminary report into the incident, and is pointing to an improperly assembled oil filter as the likely cause of the incident:

https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/corp ... gator.html

With this report, the operational pause has been lifted on the CT-114 fleet, and the Snowbirds are now enroute to Penticton to collect their jets so they can return home to Moose Jaw. Unfortunately, it means that they will not be able to attend any more air shows for the rest of the season:

https://twitter.com/CFSnowbirds/status/ ... 0919341059